1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No-mar tire changer

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Huho_O
    Deem be chopper tires

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Coats used to make m/c adapters that had plastic inserts to help prevent damage. And I would think they still offer them?

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

well it is FL sooo... a stretched boosa with jackshafts and snakeskin seatz falls under choppa

R1M370 likes this.
  4. ck.mecha

ck.mecha Well-Known Member

For the Harbor Freight changers here is the site you need for the rim protector blocks. He also has a changer bar with nylon end. Both work great for me.

https://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoblocks.htm

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

gixxerboy55 likes this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Florida chopper builders like Eddie don't think so :D
    [​IMG]

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Bought extras when I bought my machine 18 years ago. They get pinched thin pretty quick, squished out of position and then don't amount to much in the way of protection. Duct taping them is a mess.
    It seems there's been a subtle change in the shape of our wheel's bead lip over the years, too. They're thinner, making the Coats jaws bite deeper. I'm almost afraid of cracking a rim these days but hadn't had too many thoughts about curing the problem until lopitt85 posted pics.
    Wider, softer and better shaped...when I get around to sourcing an appropriate material that won't be too slick.

For those concerned about scraping paint off, I have no experience with the No-Mar or other "new" machines. I can say that all, and I mean all, of the traditional machines, be they manual or pneumatic, have scraped paint off of wheels.
    (Real shame when your brand new mags come back from the tire guy with three inches of paint scraped off in places. :()

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

I never had any problems with them but these are way cool.

[​IMG]

8. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

If you have some made for the 220 that would be awesome. I will buy 2 sets. And split their set up cost with you.

9. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Mine is rapidly approaching 20 years old at this point and looks to be closest to what they call the Classic HD currently. I have changed hundreds of motorcycle tires of all types on it but only 4 car tires. Can it be done? Sure, but it no way shape or form was it worth it. The car tires were removing 15" all seasons and installing winter tires, I think they were 15" or maybe 16" tires so not low profile at all. It destroyed a couple demounting tips, I believe I only went thru 1 doing all the bike tires over the years. In the end I am pretty sure we spooned the winter tires on the rims even. Then they still needed to be spin balanced. Around here(western NY) it costs the same to have a wheel balanced as it does to mount and balance for car wheels which just adds to the just not worth it factor.

10. fastfreddie

Project is many numbers down the list but, okay. ;)
    It may just be a thing where I post a material source and the plans...they won't be complicated.
    I envision utilizing the existing jaws and adding a "jawed filler" that will take the gap between the plates of each jaw and follow their contour while protruding enough to prevent metal-to-rim contact. I'm concerned about snapping the "plastic" as two of the three won't be as thick as lopitt's so, having it reinforced with the original jaws seems like the direction I'm gonna go.

busa99 likes this.
  11. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

I think No Mar used to sell a Coats changer kit to keep the machine from scrstching wheels.

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Only with people not knowing the proper way to use them...

13. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

No Mar sells a weld-on spool kit for the HF wheel gouge-o-matic. Not on the website, but you can email or call to order. For the first gen HF Motorcycle adapter, type 1 when looking at the Mojo Blok website.

14. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Any idea what they look like? Just curious. I like to tinker and I'm curious as to what they came up with.

I'm about to make my own mount/demount bar with an actual tire mount/demount duckbill. Saw a YouTube video and it looks pretty slick.

15. fastfreddie

Tell that to the trackside tire guy that's on the MFG's payroll. It happens to the best of 'em, it's a bummer for the customer when it does, and I'm sure, if the tire guy has a conscience, it's a bummer to them as well.

16. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I'll pop downstairs to see if it's not too buried to take a pic.

17. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

18. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

19. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah I have seen numerous videos on using a duckbill, that will be my next project.

20. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

MFG? Sorry don’t know what that is... I treat every tire and rim as if it were Carbon Fiber.. I remember we would have waivers signed to change those back in the day in case they turned into Taco’s... If your using a Pnematic machine and have the Derlin inserts in the jaws which most machines have there should be no metal to metal contact other that the tire iron 2 times to pop the rim off the upper and lower side.. after that your pedals and machine do everything..It’s all in the technique.. I am sure Stickboy will chime in soon...

gixxerboy55 likes this.