1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple Woodworking Q's

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, May 18, 2020.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

At my mother's house, I need to replace three things: wooden steps leading to a garage door, and the same for two outdoor sheds. One of the sheds actually has a ramp, which I may replicate for both.

What sort of wood should be used?

What sort of finish will help them last?

TIA.

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Concrete.

:beer:

3. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

You can be as simple or complicated as you want. If you want simple, just grab the pre-cut stringers from your local big box with some pressure treated pine and call it a day.

fastedyamaha and ChemGuy like this.
  4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

What Lee said. And if the pre fabs won’t work do to rise /run or tread width issues cutting your own is easy.
    Hell you can get pre fab hand rails at most of them as well

For a ramp PT lumber and outdoor plywood. If you paint the ply add some sand or grip tape for traction

5. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

PT is the path of least resistance. But I like Brex's suggestions too. PT just ain't what it used to be.

Match the rise and run of the stairs that are in place. I don't know how old your Mom is, but muscle memory is a bitch to retrain. They might not be current "code", but she's been walking up and down those steps for years, and knows where they are......Just something not many think about.

E Reed and 969 like this.