1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No-mar tire changer

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Jan 16, 2015.

1. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Pirelli are Easy, dismounting a Dunlop now that's a different story.

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Fixed....lol

Phl218 likes this.
  3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Try doing the HD branded Dunlops or the Dunlop American Elites ! They are just like a 10 ply truck tire, I don't know WTF their thinking is with making them so stiff. I've gotten to where I won't do them anymore. Get calls from guys that buy them online and want me to change them all the time. Nope, not worth it.

This old Rz and ducnut like this.
  4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Good to know since i have a '13 NRS.....still have the original Dunlop with 4000 miles on it. But i also have a pneumatic.

5. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Bead in the drop center is the key! if not ,this is the result.

ducnut and TLR67 like this.
  6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Heavy bike
    That carries heavy loads
    With fat riders and wives
    Equals a tire with a high load capacity and thick sidewalls

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

But, they’re worse than the equivalent Elites, in Gold Wing sizes. Does that mean Wingers aren’t fat people, too? :p

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Each OE has in house tire and wheel engineers and they chose the tire design specs. Replacement tires in many instances can be much different.

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Well I guess I understand their thinking but it seems unnecessary. I've convinced alot of my Harley riding customers to try the Michelin Commander 2's, they've all liked them better than the Dunlops and so far nobody's died from a sidewall failure.

ducnut likes this.
  10. gixxerboy55

Even their dirt bike tires are a pain

11. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I've done a couple SUV snow tires. Yeah, it was hard but doable. But don't think it's worth it.. Sport bike tires are a piece of cake if you warm them up with a hair dryer.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Like someone else, I picked up the Harbor freight setup, and with a few upgrades it has worked flawlessly. I bought the No-mar bar and their lube.

1. I had the white inserts made from 3/4" HDPE, the material they make cutting boards from. I dropped off the measurements at a company that makes HDPE products and had them make 6 for me. 3 to use and 3 spares. It's been 3 years now and I still haven't needed to replace one. Drilled a hole and secured them in their slots with pins.

2. I replaced the center bar that goes through the axles with a simple piece of rod stock.

3. I used a piece of the same rod stock as wheel stop. Just drilled a hole in one of the arms of the tire changer, and it stops the wheel from rotating while changing tires. Its wrapped in black gorilla tape so it doesn't mar the wheel.

4. I drilled a hole through the main stem and placed a removable pin in there to stop the MC adapter from twisting on the base. The other hole you see just above the pin is for my mount that I made for my truck hitch setup.

5. I rigged up the little bungee return to lift the bead breaker and hold it out of the way. I coated the end of the bead breaker in duct tape as well as the leg on that side so it doesn't scratch the wheels. Thought about making a plastic coating for it, but its held up fine for a few years, and I'll just replace it with some fresh layers when its time.

Screenshot_20200517-160040_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200517-160045_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200517-164437_Gallery.jpg
    20200517_160704.jpg Screenshot_20200517-160051_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    pittmeister and gixxerboy55 like this.
  13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

The pro model no mar?? Can definitely do car/truck/trailer sized. Even the junior sized one works well for 16s & 17s.
    I probably wouldn't do anything with a <50 aspect ratio & >19" in diameter unless you're a glutton for punishment. Not to mention you'd definitely need a bead cheater of sorts if you didnt want to be daring with carb cleaner & a long lighter.
    I have done a few 240 & 300 mm sportbike tires. They can be gravy... those 30" rubber band cruiser tires. No way no how.

14. gixxerboy55

Great job on the HF, I have done the inserts,now I going to do the bar through the arm, thanks.

15. tpadden

tpadden Well-Known Member

I use tire warmers on the stiffer tires before removing/mounting, makes it much easier. If it’s hot out just stick them in the sun for a bit. It’s 90% technique though the first few times I was exhausting myself and cursing up a storm. If it’s taking a lot of effort your technique is wrong.... go back and watch some videos.

seroj, badmoon692008 and tl1098 like this.
  16. lopitt85

Thanks. What did you use for your inserts? Originally I wanted to use Nylon but it was much more expensive than the HDPE.

17. gixxerboy55

I bought them online, similar to yours, same material,put inner tube rubber so they grip. Bought the nomar tip they come in a pack of three, bought some tubing and made the bar.

lopitt85 likes this.
  18. lopitt85

You know, I always thought mass producing those inserts and selling them might make sense. Theres enough of these changers being bought to have some decent sales I think

19. gixxerboy55

Yeah a lot of cottage industries have sprung up, because of the internet, it's great.

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

@lopitt85
    Thanks for posting the pic of the Delrin(?) jaws. You've given me inspiration for the solution to my Coats 220's steel jaws. If any tire changer ever needed plastic jaws...

Yeah, I've scraped a couple wheels before. :rolleyes:

lopitt85 likes this.