1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTD: This 89 FZR1000

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by This old Rz, May 14, 2020.

1. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Shot in the dark... but what the hell.
    A few years ago this pair of Yamaha FZR1000s came up for sale.
    https://raresportbikesforsale.com/one-for-street-one-for-track-1989-1990-yamaha-fzr1000s/
    I was not able at the time to make a bid on the race bike. I had an FZR 1000 when I was young .. not interested in another basic FZR.
    BUT...that race bike would be perfect for reliving my youth, and then some!
    I trying to locate it and see if it is perhaps for sale
    Other than my SRAD & my RZ350 that bike in particular is one of the very few bikes I would want.
    New bikes just don't do it for me the performance is great, but most all of them look the same, most bikes have no soul anymore.
    If anybody has a lead on this machine, Please let me know. (THIS BIKE.. IN PIC)
    Thanks

Screenshot_2020-05-14-16-06-00-135.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    evakat likes this.
  2. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

Have you tried contacting Don at RSBFS? He might know where it ended up.

3. motogpwerks

motogpwerks Active Member

I own it ,unless you have a really good offer it sits with my Ow01's

jasonhise likes this.
  4. monkeyfist

monkeyfist Well-Known Member

5. J Bart

J Bart Fat Kid Track Days

Please don't tell me that beauty sits, that bike has to be ridden at "pace"....

6. This old Rz

Ah Ha.. I figured somebody on here would have scooped that up I was right.
    I'm not sure what your idea of a good offer is ...my offer is probably very close to what you paid for it. I was told It sold for around 5 k ish.
    I'm not saying that's what you paid for it, just I was told that years ago.
    I prefer used race bikes because it's pennies on the dollar for all the cool parts, thats justm thing. Scored a modified running rg500 Gamma 3 years back for 3 k, which led to track rz500s for 4k each... Should have kept one of them I sold them off to my friend.
    The big money is in rare stock bikes like your OWO1. That's just not my thing I had a 89 FZR1000 mildly worked over when they were new..that thing stomped everything in it's path, even in a few track days that baby was quite capable' for heavy tank... Had to use a lot of body language on that thing but it was solid and confidence inspiring.
    I'd have to unload a couple machines to acquire something like that.
    My SRAD is a similar bike with modifications in the works Technos etc.. f pick that bike up for $1900.00 BUT....far far LESS power than an FZR 1000.
    I really miss just twisting the throttle and leaving 30 to 40 feet of rubber...that bike was too much damned fun.. only thing funner is my RZ....she delivers more smiles than anything I've ever owned.

Anyways it's a Shot in the dark... Let me know one way or the other. I would rather have had somebody buy it it's shoved it in their garage sounds like you are cherishing it like I would have...I need another bike like a hole in the head I have so many F-ing projects I can't see straight... I've made up my mind to sell all but three otherwise I'll never finish anything....
    And that bike I would certainly ride I would let it abused me... lol
    Thanks for your reply . ..

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  7. motogpwerks

motogpwerks Active Member

No thanks I don't work for free ,it full off Ow01 parts (coswroth,rods,gearbox so on 155bhp ) ...I own 60+ superbikes,Race bikes aren't pennys on the dollar if they are built correct or rare .The bike was built by a well known racer from the 80-90's and worked at skunk works .It was brought for a investment at 5k .
    Since you paid nothing for your RG's I will swap it for a rg500 or RZ500 (I have two already) otherwise its a 10-20k bike in NZ or Australia all day long .

8. This old Rz

Aw it all good man.
    You certainly don't have to tell me what's done do it . I know a fair amount about .
    that bike. like I said I was hoping somebody just bought it to race the crap outta her.
    Being that you bought it for an investment I can respect that.
    I wouldn't sell it either... But I would drive that girl in anger LOL .
    I do have to say that race bikes in general" do sell for pennies on the dollar.

You in fact bought for that bike for "pennies on the dollar"

I've seen some great examples of some very well put together machines for sale here in the last year for under 5 grand with well over $20,000 of xtra race parts into them. They sell for a fraction of the cost that people put into them. Last month I scored a SRAD roller with tecnomagnesios and a ATL quick fill tank for $800.00. that's all that it had other than the frame and swingarm LOL I picked up one my VFR750s for $900.00 with all kinds of trick bits on it with a blown motor, but Ohlins shock, 6 spoke Enkei conversion.. and 9 out of 10 condition body work!! The left hand side exhaust alone by itself was 4+ grand in 86. I don't think the guy knew what he had.... that's how it was advertised old 1986 Honda racebike w bad motor" I need this thing out of my shed" I was hoping it was an HRC motor but it wasn't...lol
    My Banshee was a privateer desert racer it was over 26.5k to build. Including the bike....it literally has the best of everything I bought it for 3k....
    I probably should have kept one of the larger 500 2 strokes more for investment., I had an RZ500 when I was young.. been there done that, I don't like them enough to pay that much money for one anymore. The RZ really was not that good of a bike.. the RG on the other hand that's a different story.. I had one of those too. I just wouldn't pay the money they're getting for then now ......
    It always puzzles me... I have a 66 Volkswagen beetle VW built like six million of these f****ing things and.... this thing is supposedly worth 15 to 20 grand.
    I don't get it? ..it's cute and fun but it's really not a very good automobile LOL
    Anyways enjoy that Ok girl.. they did a good job building it.
    Mine was similar, I had a worked over head,. The 1040 kit, (no cylinder sleaving was required) otherwise I would have done the 1070. It the very 1st Yoshimura race bike pipe built for one... It was fast as fuk back then.... The bike you have has an honest 20+ horsepower on my old FZR!!

Alright... I'm over it...lol
    I'm going to go out to the garage and look at it all my bikes and tell myself you're NOT going to buy another f****** bike. Is there any reason I can't be happy with what I have...lol