1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another scam?

Discussion in 'General' started by knedragon29, May 15, 2020.

1. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Posted a bicycle up on flea bay , guys emails me with a phone number and says text him he wants some more pics and info. I text him first reply back is what's the least you will take for the bike ? I tell him its been up for a day and a couple hits so what its listed for. He says the ol check routine. Get it and when it clears he will arrange pickup . How many days does it take for a check to clear/find out if its a fraud??

2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Forever

If they are stealing account info and printing checks, it will clear at first then a few weeks later get returned.

Wire transfer is the only safe way.

DmanSlam likes this.
  3. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

You didn't just come down with the rain so I'm pretty sure you're not falling for the cleared check. Who pays with a check anyway?

4. DmanSlam

I might suggest local pick up and cash in hand is really the time-tested way to go. Other than that, there's Paypal upfront, delivery afterwards.

5. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

yeah , figured as much. Soon as he said no problem on the price asking and then said would you take a check ? I'm like there's Paypal. Wire Transfer , Zelle, Cash app and probably missing another dozen ways to pay.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I do with certain things where I want a paper trail and proof of payment, :D

I just used Venmo for the first time a few weeks back and for some things, it is freakin' awesome.

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. DmanSlam

You pay someone with a direct check? That's what it sounded like the OP was inferring. I know Venmo and Paypal accounts allow a person to deposit a digital check into the name of the Venmo/Paypal account holders. I've never used that feature or had a payor utilize it on a payment to me. Is there a check clearing process that the payor can dispute or rescind? In other words, is the received money possibly not yours at any point. :)

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I mean Write the check, throw it in the mail and it gets there at some point.

I used Venmo is place of handing over cash. Saved the person from having to take the cash to the bank to deposit it. Seems to have a lot of options that I have no current interest in. lol!

9. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

It's a scam,do not give out your phone number on eBay,use email.

DmanSlam likes this.
  10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Same thing happened to me. So I took this cashiers check it to my local bank and Jenny calls the Florida bank where the check was from. They tell her they don't issue cashiers checks. So I gave the check to the sheriff and text them the check didn't clear, and I never got another text.

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Up here in the North, checks are still routine, or cash. My favorite breakfast place (and others up here) only takes cash.

12. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

kinda embarassed to say this but i have purchased two bikes one from RD racer and one from Bad Brad Coleman with checks mailed and with no real timeline involved and only when the cash was in hand did i pickup one bike from Brad and RD had one sent down with some gas Money to Mr Dave Rutherford , and i know its time to get a pay pal account just for me but my current pay pal is under my wifes thumb and my noobie race budget as expired says her and trust me she has 3 shades of red and shade red 1 scares me very much .

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  13. DmanSlam

Hopefully, the "buyer" (in quotes, intentionally) did not make off with the goods?

Re paying by check at a local restaurant like that, does that mean you're a regular? I know some places allow you to do that, in person, and not out of state. But over the internet/phone transaction with someone you don't know is risky. I'd never do it.

So, @knedragon29, what did you find out and decide?

14. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

15. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

My reply is usually.........."What's the most you'll pay? Make them commit to what they are willing to pay for whatever you have for sale. Obviously, this guy was not serious, other than collecting some money from you, but that response either shuts them up and they go ghost, or they make an offer.

16. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Lol. All the dudes you mentioned are good dudes. But, your ol lady is gonna kill you when she reads that.

Lawd have mercy.

Buell1965 likes this.
  17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

I knew I was getting scammed by this bone head as soon as my bank said the check was bogus so they got nothing from me

18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This.

19. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I sold a pair of motorcycles to a "friend" on the trust of a paypal e-check. Lo and behold, the check didn't clear for TWO WEEKS or more (I actually lost track of time, and paypal had to submit the e check twice). By this time she already had them for sale in her shop and titles cleared. An e-check is worse, in my opinion, than a regular check. Not by much, but I only trust a check as much as I trust the individual, regardless of physical or electronic form.

I have bought parts from online friends and they requested payment by check, but one guy was so trusting that he sent the parts before I even sent the check. Those are the people I trust as they have earned it. Someone here on the beeb? If they requested I pay in check I would do a little background search if they are an unknown person. Generally if they post in general then I can trust them. Classifieds only? Not so much.

20. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

you got that rite on stand up fellas and not only did RD and Brad take a check they let me put a down payment on those bike and between the both of them i guess i sent 6 checks to pay the bikes off between them . Dave was a super nice fella also and was amazed at his shop and funky fast and high dollar bikes . Thumbs up for all three of them racers .