1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What’s it worth? RS50 that has been sitting

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Crconnor18, May 15, 2020.

1. Crconnor18

Crconnor18 Well-Known Member

Title says it all.

Local guy has a titled ‘99 Aprilia RS50 that has been sitting for 15 years. Has the title and it’s rusty galore. Bodywork is sun faded but intact.

He is looking for $1000 as it sits. I have seen some sell for $2k and beyond but no true awareness of their worth.

Are parts unobtainable? New to the 2stroke works and always wanted to get into it.

I am fully prepared to rebuild it as a quarantine project.

better off putting another motor and ditching the one it has?

Pic is the bike
    upload_2020-5-15_15-44-36.jpeg

2. grendels_arm

grendels_arm Sam Green Eggs and Ham

$1000 is about right for that. Plenty go for $1500-$2000 range running in solid shape.

3. grendels_arm

Parts you can get and there are plenty of aftermarket bits. Some OEM stuff isn't being made anymore.

4. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

What do you want to do with it, if you get it? If you just want to make a runner out of it, I probably wouldn't give more than $500-600 if that. If anything mechanical is wrong, that cheap price will go up in a hurry. If you want a nice bike, don't buy it. I have seen much nicer, for not much more.

5. Crconnor18

I was thinking of making it a rough runner and maybe a cart track or something where available. Nothing collector quality for sure.

I was thinking $500 would be the number but wasn’t sure.

6. grendels_arm

It's really tough to see what's going on.

1. 2 new tires - $150 or so
    2. Looks just dirty from the pic so maybe a good wash
    3. Is the rust just the chain and all? That's cheap.
    4. Rotors maybe rust? Use em and that'll come off.

Frame sure ain't gonna rust. Swingarm if the coating gets chipped may but I've seen people just paint em black.

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'd inspect the inside of the tank, and those fork legs... and yeah I'd likely snag that for $500 based on pic and description, but not much more without knowing more about the condition of it. That'd be a fun commuter machine for me.

8. drop

drop Well-Known Member

I just bought my 2002 rs50 for 300 bucks.

Have been garage stored for the last 5 years. Put a battery in it and it started right up. New chain and sprockets and I've rode it.

The rear tire as funny as it may be, I simply used the front tire off my big bike. The 120/70 once on the wheel fits pretty dam impressive, and you have unlimited options. The front I have a 110/70 from a newer r3 on the way to me. It'll work perfect on front.

If you get it, I have a brand new in the box carburator (stock) if you need it. Mine has an after market carb and pod filter. The way I geared mine when I got the new chain and sprockets, it will run 59mph with my 240lb ass on it. I use af1 racing for parts. They have everything you will ever need for that scooter.

Also, either that guy is trying to rape you at 1000 bucks, or I just found someone who was really over it and didn't know what they had. Also clean title.

Also the good thing about them is the tank is plastic. So no rust problem.

9. Crconnor18

It was junked. Every part of metal was rusted and board line rotted. Beyond repair at its current condition and not
    Much worth to salvage via a part out.

All bearings were locked up, forks were rusted, rubber dry rot etc etc.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/d/newton-1999-aprilia-rs-50-repair/7124640726.html

Live another day to find one worth fixing.

If there is anyone with leads to a salvageable RS50 I am interested up in Boston

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  10. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

perfect candidate for a 125 swap

11. drop

drop Well-Known Member

That thing looks junked.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  12. Crconnor18

The entire bike needed a frame up job just to be safe to ride.

It was my first time seeing one in person and very appealing and super light. For the $2k mark it looks like a very nice one can be had and no time spent returning it

13. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

yeah it needs to be price reduced to like 250.00 for sure.

drop likes this.
  14. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

Breaks my heart to see a bike neglected like this. It would be a great quarantine project to resurrect this little gem. I just did such a project on a RS50 but it wasn't as shabby looking as this one. Depending on what you need part-wise AF1 has or can get pretty much anything you need. Motor-wise there's a few BBK options and even some transplants have been done. AF1 Aprilia Forum has loads of info on what's possible.

15. Kiwi

Kiwi Well-Known Member

Where is the bike? I would buy it for parts I need.

16. Kiwi

Kiwi Well-Known Member

Sorry just noticed the link

17. Crconnor18

It would be hard to find something on that bike that didn’t need some sort of rebuild or restoration. Just moving the column for the first time felt like breaking open a cast.

What are some of the recommended sites for Aprilia 2-strokes?

18. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Af1 racing

19. joec

joec brace yourself

There were a few of those running around the uscra modern 50 class back in the day. I remember someone having a great story about being pulled over on the njtp on a kitted one. Lol..

20. chadzilla

chadzilla New Member

The guy told me he sold it couple days ago for $500