1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Lol. I can relate to that. It's not to be confused with whiskey throttle, btw, which provides fun entertainment at the EXPENSE OF the rider.

2. DmanSlam

Feeling for ya, man. I just sold my daughter's CRF100F. It never caught fire for her like I had hoped. Even though I sold it for a profit ($900, paid $750), selling it kind of sucked.

3. NickyZ

NickyZ Well-Known Member

He's in the 50 sr class on a Cobra FWE. He just turned 8 so he has two years left in the class. He's about mid-pack, and has had a tough time adjusting to the ruts at East Fork. But it's only making him stronger. I have 6 acres at our home in Liberty Township, a bobcat, and a new pile of dirt - so he'll have a track at home soon.

He started riding motocross about a year ago. We used to race flat track at Lawrenceburg every Friday night. He was a rocket, but mid-season last year they arbitrarily changed the rules to prohibit front brakes on kids' bikes. He's never rode a bike without a front brake, and Lawrenceburg doesn't have practice days. I wasn't comfortable putting him out there without a front brake, for the first time, in a race. So we went motocross riding. He was timid at first, but he's gaining confidence each time. All I make sure is he has fun each time - not whether he rides hard or finishes near the front. It's been good for him. He wants to race the entire Buckeye Series and we'll be racing TT at RTR Motorsports in Indy (when both start back up).

Boman Forklift and Senna like this.
  4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yeah, the emphasis is definitely on fun. We tried making a tiny loop at the farm, in the trees, but he flat out said that wasn't for him, and that he wanted to ride the "jumps and stuff, like the guys on TV." That's how we ended up at Eastfork.

He didn't seem to be having any fun the last time we were there, so I asked him if he was, or not. He said he was, but I knew better, so I just plainly asked him if he was only doing it because he was trying to make me happy, and he said yes. Boy I felt like shit. Still do. I'd give him pointers here and there about techniques, but other than that I'm not sure what I said to make him feel pressured.

I told him he didn't have ride if he didn't want to, and we could play baseball and lacrosse all he wanted.

There hasn't been much talk about him riding in the last week or so, so we'll see.

We've watched the sessions with Scott. There are a few of those kids that are moving.

Do you know Keegans dad, Bill Schoen? We used to ride together pretty often. Keegan is on a Cobra too, and goes to those training sessions.

Senna likes this.
  5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

You're a good dad. He might pick it back up again, who knows. Maybe he was intimidated by the environment at the park you were at.

6. NickyZ

NickyZ Well-Known Member

I believe I've met him, but I can't recall. Scott's training with Liam is helpful, but Liam isn't one of the fast 50s (I agree, those kids are flying). Liam loves the competition. He rides harder in races, even practice races, than he's ever ridden. Usually results in crashes - but he learns. That's the best part of the training with Scott. I think East Fork is intimidating to all kids. We rode Earlywine this winter and had a blast. No ruts, looks like supercross, and there were kids at every skill set (thus giving Liam someone to compete at every stage while he progressed). I'd look at other tracks to see what he'd like. Haspin's track is nice for kids when its groomed.

Liam's interest goes in spurts - sometimes he rides daily and other times he doesn't ride for a couple weeks. He loves the holeshot. This week he learned (at our house) that he can control a wheelie off the start if he sits up on the tank off the start. It's the hardest he's ever ridden the bike - just because he thought the idea of a wheelie was fun. Of course it won't be as fun when he loops it, but we aren't there yet (he looped his P3 off a start at East Fork early last year, but has seemingly forgot about that). But if he likes to practice starts because he thinks its fun, that's what we will do for now.

I've talked to him today about seeing if he can brake so hard to get the rear wheel off the ground, like a reverse wheelie. The idea caught his attention. He's now practicing how hard he can brake in our yard. Not motocross, but certainly will be helpful when he puts it all together.

7. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I think I have the first wave of dial in complete on the eyetalian smokehouse. Going to try to snap off some radiators this weekend. 300rr.jpg

masshole and JJJerry like this.
  8. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

You can do iiiit!

DmanSlam likes this.
  9. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

A long time ago I was told if you show up on Saturday morning to help clean up, they'll let you practice for free. I never did it though.

10. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I'll see if I can help!

renegade17 likes this.
  11. DmanSlam

You may have a freestyler on your hands just yet. :)

12. DmanSlam

I wish my daughter would have stuck with it. She would've had all the backing in the world (from me).

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

14. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Picked up a p-dub for my 6 year old on Saturday. Freshening it up this week with new plastics and graphics (which are hilariously cheap) and hope to have it done to give it to him this weekend.
    826C34C9-1FD8-4D5B-924C-163C0B35B31B.jpeg

15. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

The bike is a 2017 KTM 350 SFX used mostly for riding in the woods preparing for my first hare scramble. Quick question about tires, I currently have Dunlops GEOMAX MAX3SF and may be in need of a new front soon due to some of the nobbies cracking. Reaching out to the experience guys, what are some good tire and compound suggestions? Thanks in advance!

16. JJJerry

What type of terrain to you expect in the hare scramble?

17. Vinny337

Nothing too crazy the more open the better for me.

18. JJJerry

Sorry - I meant rocky/sandy/clay...etc? Sounds like you might not have one picked out yet though?

19. Vinny337

Gotcha, just regular riding in the woods and you're right I haven't picked out one yet, I've watched a few you tube vids and kind of have an idea.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  20. DmanSlam

The plastics actually look fine. Maybe splash some new graphics on it if you like. How's it operating, mechanically? Wrenching at the trailhead or park sucks.