1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New gun owner research and questions

Discussion in 'General' started by DmanSlam, May 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I'm becoming a new gun owner soon. I've done my research and it's led to a few unanswered questions still.

I read the threads entitled:
    - I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D
    - On the subject of guns...

But still have a few questions that others on here are probably knowledgeable about. Hoping this helps others.

Appreciate any help. Read on...

Looking for storage suggestions of both handguns / shotguns:
    - I don't have small kids in the house if that factors in to suggestions
    - for keep-close-to-me protection. Was looking at an ad for a gun bed.
    - for OTHER THAN keep-close-to-me protection. What's most economical, safe?

For handguns, a few things I'm undecided on:
    - preference for fixed/iron sights vs red dot optic sights? ESPECIALLY for CW
    - grip safety or no safety?

For shotguns, a few things I'm undecided on:
    - just bought remington 870 express, PA, home defense 18"
    - is a longer barrel a DEFINITE MUST for target/skeet hunting? I'm thinking yes
    - buy separate guns or different barrel lengths for same gun

For pump action vs semi-automatic:
    - again, I bought the remington 870 express, PA, home defense 18"
    - I have a pump action but am interested (or at least curious) in semi-automatic
    - The benelli m4 seems to have good reviews for my price point. Thoughts?

For CW:
    - someone on here mentioned the USCCA website, which offers insurance and legal service
    - Is CW insurance and retaining an attorney advised? I'm leaning heavily towards this, btw.
    - Does anyone have any experience with these two services (insurance and legal service), good or bad?
    - USCCA website: http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/on-the-subject-of-guns.366250/#post-5694513

2. DmanSlam

3. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

Having a idiot proof safety ranks high for me so a few years back after much research and coming from a dyed in the wool 1911 type i went with a berretta storm in search of high capacity light wt and dependable EDC that my colts 1911s and other steel hand guns just come up short on . I carry the berretta in full DA battery and with a flick of the thumb i can be in full safety and vice versa and with 16 rounds 9mm in a easy to take down and thus far jam free very light poly frame and in compact form with a Muddy River Kydex and mag rig has been a thumbs up from me for approx 4 years but i will on occasion carry the heavy but thin .45 . Berretta M4 is a top tier and would be the most wonderfull choice and you dont have to worry about short stroking under pressure from a pump gun and that does happen often unless you become one with you pump and it is somewhat broken in well . Cheers and my two Cents .

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Yes. Separate shotgun for clays.

I tried a semi auto. But they can jam. It sucks when they do. Double barrel
    Stacked is the way to go. They never fail. Way fewer moving parts.
    They will shoot thousands and thousands of rounds with no complaints.
    Even the revered 870, which is a great gun, won’t be as durable.
    Defense and hunting are where the 870 will shine.

My experience with clay shooting took me to an over under. Browning 525 Citori in
    12 gauge. Had and loved a Beretta 686 as my first O\U. But I liked the slightly heavier
    Browning better.

20 gauge is a better choice for skeet.

The downer on the sporting guns is price. My 525 is 15 years old. It was $2500.
    They’re I think closer to 3500 or more now. That’s just a
    Good solid sporting gun. It just goes up for the seriously good Kohlars (sp?) and Kreighoffs
    From there. You can easily go to $10K or higher if you want to get seriously into
    Clay shooting.

Once the world opens up again. PG County Skeet and Gun club has Berettas
    That can be rented for like $15 a day you can use to try the 391 semi auto versus a O/U
    For yourself. I used to shoot there pretty regularly til I moved further away from the range
    That made the logistics of going home to get my gear suck.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I never once considered any kind of insurance... the point of being a responsible gun owner. I know folks that have used firearms in self defense... outside of being questioned
    there are certain cues one might want to research. Unless you become paranoid and shoot recklessly.
    Sights on a handgun?? Not sure I understand that for concealed carry...lol. If you do any training with a qualified instructor... it all that goes out the window
    and gives you perspective on what it might be like if/when you need to use your firearm. (if you can draw it, etc). That being said you also need to dedicate time every week to train.
    Thats not even going to account for the deafening blast of shooting in confined spaces w/o protection.

DmanSlam and Photo like this.
  6. Buell1965

7. Buell1965

Sorry I meant Benelli M4 instead of beretta M4

8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

If you are just getting into sporting clays get a workhorse. I upland hunt and periodically shoot trap and sporting clays all with my Remington 1187. I normally shoot mid to upper 80's with a sporadic 90+ with it. It has multiple chokes but I rarely change from the modified that I use in the field. I can't tell you the number of ludicrously expensive guns that I have out shot. My dad started me on clays at 9 years old and hunting at 10. Shooting is a lot like motorcycle riding. Good habits and lots of practice will do more for you than the best equipment ever will. My thought has always been of I can't hunt with it for fear of scratching it then why have it? I can probably count on one hand the number of jams I have had with any semi-auto shotgun. Keep your stuff clean and well lubricated and it will treat you well. That's just a good all around motto though isn't it! lol

9. DmanSlam

Thanks. I know clean and lube is important, and some guns are easier to clean and lube than others. The chokes you mentioned are something I'll be researching. I may not need to worry about one yet. But am curious, for home defense, if a choke is warranted to avoid blasting through a wall into another room vs having to narrow that prevents easily hitting the intended target (e.g., intruder).

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

As far as a shotgun for trap/skeet or hunting, fitment is by far the most important thing. Just because a gun is cheap/expensive/cool, doesnt mean it is going to fit you properly. A crappy singleshot that fits you correctly will result in more hits than the best semi auto that doesnt fit.

11. DmanSlam

The shotguns I looked at, all seem to have a safety. But the handguns, none seem to have no safety and or, in the case of the Sig/sauer p320 did have a grip safety (which seems ideal for idiot-proof retrieval of a concealed weapon.

12. DmanSlam

That seems pretty important. That said, the Maverick 88 was a good 'fit' as was the Sig/sauer p320 handgun (very pricey with an optic sight included).

13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I doubt if a choke is going to make that much of a difference for home defense.
    Widest pattern (Close shooting) to smallest pattern (Farther away shooting) is this:
    Shoot In My Field (Skeet Improved Modified Full)

DmanSlam likes this.
  14. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

In my experience, safety on a long gun is good for hunting situations. On a range, your action will be open (or gun broken), so not so important. I don't like safeties on my pistols personally, but then I don't carry a 1911 in condition "hot pickle" or whatever.

DmanSlam likes this.
  15. james weaver

james weaver Well-Known Member

any one out there use a polychoke .choke adjustable on the gun,twist it to change choke pattern.

16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

P320s don’t have grip safeties, unless I missed a recent update. Springfield’s XD/XDM/etc. are well-known for their grip safeties.

Gun.deals is the best aggregate I’ve found for online gun shopping. Can save you quite literally hundreds on guns if you find a good basement FFL. Reddit.com/r/gundeals is also solid.

17. DmanSlam

Thanks for the tip. I'll investigate.

18. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Glock 19 :D

Wingnut, TurboBlew and DmanSlam like this.
  20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Whatever you choose, train with it often. Probably 90% of people who own a home defense or concealed firearm are woefully unprepared to operate it effectively at a range, much less under extreme stress. If your life could potentially depend on a game of one-on-one, you'd be wise to practice your jump shot. For some reason people don't apply that logic to defensive shooting.

One last thing before I step off my soap box. Our first line of home or personal defense is security. Alarm systems, good locks, laminated glass, etc. Keep the bad guys out or away and you don't have to shoot anyone. Same with carry. Situational awareness trumps gunfighting skills. I'd much rather be the guy who can identify threats to myself and others and avoid them, even if I have the skills to go all John Wick.

beac83, wsmc 589, sbk1198 and 6 others like this.