1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica / Road America

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, May 8, 2020.

1. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

I've got tickets for the Road America IMSA race at the end of July and was wondering if that will even happen...

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Running with no spectators is silly. RA is so big with a lot of viewing areas that keep people spread out as it is.
    Really no reason not to allow fans.

Know your environment
    Implement best practices
    Manage the risk

Live your life
    DON’T
    Live in fear of your life

TX Joose, DrA5, turbulence and 4 others like this.
  3. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

So we'll see you there, right?

Stop by our compound...I'll have some murder cat videos fired up on my laptop.

G 97 likes this.
  4. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

My buddy is scheduled to run the twins class this season...
    Hope MotoAmerica can make Road America happen in a few weeks.

5. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Me too. I went to my first MotoAmerica race there last year and have been waiting a while year to go back. Plan to do the 2up ride this year too. I think it'll help break through some personal barriers for me

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah, appreciate the offer. No doubt a good time. I just can’t go if I’m not riding.

7. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

They are discussing fever screening for everyone who enters the facility. A friend of mine works security part time during the summer at RA. He said that was straight from RA management late last week. So depending on MotoAmerica protocols we still might have a chance for a real event with fans. I'm sure more info will emerge soon being less than 3 weeks out now.

evakat and Senna like this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

This and I would still be concerned about the status of the State of Wisconsin.

Kolbe and Senna like this.
  9. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

I bought my RA tickets back in December as usual.

EAA was cancelled because it's huge + international and they are usually setting things up starting a month ago.

10. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

ZARS trackdays say they are hosting there on May 25th. If that happens Im pretty sure MA will also.

11. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Word through the grapevine from some high ups at RA is that the race is going on but no spectators. Obviously I'd still like to see an official announcement but I can't believe they'll go from fully locked down as of the 26th to letting thousands of people hangout together 4 days later.

12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That probably depends more on the spectators when it comes to Motoamerica, trackdays see no change in income with no spectators. I'm not sure motoamerica can overcome the loss of not having spectators.

rafa likes this.
  13. G 97

G 97 Garth

The only difference I see is that it’s only for registered riders and essential crew (no spectators)! COVID protocols must be strictly followed.

I’m not sure MA would follow the same. I don’t see them running it with no spectators and since factory money is no longer involved I don’t see anyone bank rolling the event otherwise. They’re operating on a thin dime as it is.

rafa likes this.
  14. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Any idea what attendance normally is? I wonder how much they’re really making on ticket sales. I could see running a race while literally EVERY other series is shut down could be worth it to MA to hopefully build the VideoPass fan base up and give MA an international spotlight. Dunno.

G 97 and Newyork like this.
  15. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

As if lines to get in were not already slow enough and have vehicles backed up and stopped on HWY 67, just waiting to be asspacked by a texting 17 year old, like other events.

5axis likes this.
  16. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Uhm yea. My buddy said if they have to do temperatures on every person going into the facility and get signatures from them he's not working. Fuck that

17. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Small sacrifice, IMO, given the situation.
    The event is still on their schedule and it's less than 3 weeks out, so my gut says they're running it. With or without spectators would be my only question.

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

I know in the past over three days the total count would be over 100,000 which were not all unique. So a three day ticket was counted as three spectators. I seem to remember @30,000 for the Sunday event during the AMA days.

You’re probably right about video pass aspect. Too be honest I forgot about that content and the money generated form it. So in this regard, I could see them having motivation to put on the race.

Senna likes this.
  19. G 97

G 97 Garth

Was was a typical single day attendance for Sunday back in the AMA Superbike days Doc?

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

:crackup: I can remember RA management getting upset at me for the long line on Hwy67 to gain access to our NESBA events. I didn’t know what they were expecting nor what they wanted me to do about it. Nevermind they are the ones who mandated registration being held at the registration building outside of the track VS. being inside of the track because they tasked me with obtaining waivers signed for all of the non riders as well. I was like, it’s not my responsibility to obtain waivers from non riders entering the track, it’s yours. The lady at the front office was sort of a B.

DrA5 likes this.