1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will you use air travel in the near future?

Discussion in 'General' started by BROsiah, May 7, 2020.

1. chrysta1

chrysta1 Well-Known Member

Flying to Florida to visit my dad next week, will fly to Australia later this year if things open up. May do a work trip to China if travel there opens up. I was planning to go in late December/early January but the teams kept telling me it would be difficult to travel. based on their input changed the plan to February, which was canceled.

2. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Timing is perfect. I worked the system to expedite getting companion flies free on Southwest and the wife gave me a big hell no that she doesn’t want to fly anywhere. She can’t get upset if I have to look for another companion:D

Quicktoy likes this.
  3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

When I flew thru SFO last month I saw a person with a full Tyvek suit, latex gloves, face mask, goggles and a face shield. It looked like it might have been a younger female under all of that stuff. I don't know about anyone else but I can not think of anywhere I would need to go if I was that scared of catching the Rona.

nd4spd and Rebel635 like this.
  4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Fair enough regarding the travel levels, but I think that we will still see systemic change regarding air travel that will require some time to regain to 2019 levels, at least on the global scale. Boeing is the US largest exporter, which means more international sales than domestic which is coloring my view (global vs CONUS). I'm optimistic regarding domestic/North America recovery vs internationally domestic (internal Europe, pan Asian, etc) recovery. Therefore I foresee lower international sales of passenger airplanes, but we are seeing an increase in freighter demand.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Even for one trip it's absolutely worth getting an EZ Pass. When I researched it Mass ad the best setup for being in a state that doesn't offer one.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good choice, because the video being appropriate for the subject at hand makes no difference at all :D

pscook likes this.
  7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Why is this a question? The only reason nobody is flying right now is because nobody is allowed to do anything. Nothing is open. Nowhere to go. When lockdown ends, life starts back up, and air travel is just part of life at this point in society. Its not a question of will they, but when will they be allowed.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  9. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Just tried to book a flight to do a fly and ride. Nope, not gonna happen until the industry gets a grip on reality. I will not be forced to participate in safety theater under penalty of jail.

10. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I fly corporate. The airplane has been parked since March . Things are starting to pick up we have a couple trips scheduled for this and the up coming weeks.Looks like we will be getting busy.

11. smooth

smooth Well-Known Member

I flew from Denver to Charlotte about two weeks ago. Strange experience but an excellent flight. Both airports were empty with no traffic and most of the shops empty. Charlotte appeared slightly less empty. Saw two TSA checkpoints at Denver. One was completely shut down. The other had only one lane open. Still only took a minute to get thru and that delay was due to the couple in front of me wrestling with 3 bags each and laced up shoes.
    Flight was just over 1/3 full and over half of folks were wearing masks. Flight attendants were really cool about letting folks move around to have a tow to themselves where possible. First class was nearly full. No drinks or snacks.
    Funny how everyone was trying to keep their distance on the flight then all stood and bunched up as soon as the plane stopped at the terminal.

overall one of the best flights I’ve ever been on as far as convenience.

12. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Like Peter says, the airplane has HEPA filters (same as used in hospitals), 90% of the air is fresh. So it's down to cleaning in between flights. Southwest also bought those electrostatic sprayers that make the cleaning solution magnetically stick to surfaces, so it gets all the nooks and crannies.

People saying things like Boeing putting in UV lights, those seat diagrams, airbus putting in sniffers, have no concept of what it takes to get a freaking light bulb approved on an aircraft by the FAA. They take years to approve that shit, and right now they aren't even working.

Those seat designs will never happen IMO, because the airplane has to be evacuated in about 60-90 seconds with a full load. That ain't happening with those designs.

Social distancing and empty flights might be convenient for the traveler, but they are unsustainable as a business model where the profit margin is usually in the single digits. So if a lot of people stay home, air travel is going to become far more expensive for those who do show up. Careful what you wish for!

Nobody really knows what demand is going to be when they wave the green flag on this thing. Southwest is obviously hoping domestic travel will come back fairly quickly. Alot of what you read about airlines coming back smaller takes into account the big 3 and their higher international exposure. I think it's pretty clear that that segment will take alot longer to recover.

I never thought I'd say this, but we (crewmemebers) miss all you filthy animals! For obvious reasons I hope you do decide to travel again!

flygirl, Senna, Phl218 and 3 others like this.
  13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

For real. Aviation is orders of magnitude more money than even racing. So much red tape.

[/QUOTE]

Man I think its going to be slow to recover. Even when most states open up we are expecting many businesses to have no visitor policies and for us to have minimal travel for the rest of 2020. Probably no international travel until 2021. I hope travel comes back faster but i think the businesses will keep it slow.

14. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I just want the Canadian border open again!

15. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

I plan on flying (back) down to Daytona, in October, for the 200. I always pay a smidge extra to choose my seats.

If anyone gets in my zone, I'll start 'dry coughing'...they'll vacate.

16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

FWIW, Southwest is having a big sale right now for summer travel. Just scored round trip to Seattle in August for $266 total.

CRA_Fizzer and DmanSlam like this.
  17. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I've been trying to import an airplane from Canada since this thing started. It's here and everything is done (and has been for a long time), but nobody from the FAA is working. I can't get something as simple as a signature. I dare someone to try to certify a new system in less than a decade.

Gino230 likes this.
  18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Well just fly it over, it's not like you have to stop at the border or anything. :D

19. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Like I said in my post, "it's here".:flag:

20. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Sorry, I missed that. That's what I get for trying to be a smartass. :crackup:

SteveThompson likes this.