1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on.....Laptops

Discussion in 'General' started by lee955i, May 7, 2020.

1. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Went into Bestbuy 6 weeks ago to see if they had a wide angle lens for Canon camera. I'd 2 grand to spend, they'd no lenses.

Leaving the store, somehow walked by a display MacBooks...hmmm...I could use that to process images.

$2800 Pro which was a returned item. Didn't need need it at all.
    Paid $1900+ tax.

Gonna send it to nephew in Ireland, he's a 10 year old computer nerd into gaming and coding.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're the high end components and worth it. Got two that are ancient for laptops and they both still kick ass. I also got them recondition through apple.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Blah, blah, baah...

I'm typing this on a $1400 2009 MacBook Pro that has proven to be worth every penny. I upgraded the hard drive to SSD a few years ago and it was like buying a brand new laptop. Break that down to cost of ownership per year and a MacBook will beat anything else out there every time. And if you just have to have Windows, the best Windows system runs on a Mac (Boot Camp)!

How many Acer's would you have to go through in 11 years to have a functional, not slamming you fist on the table because it's so slow, go to every day computer?

Steeltoe and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  4. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

This

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

One, the one I'm typing this response on. :D

beac83 likes this.
  6. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Apple refurbished MacBook's for under $1k.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac

7. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

gonna crash in 3..., 2..., 1.. :D

8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Any decent quality laptop will go 11 years in the same manner. Crapple shit isn't made of anything special at all.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It is getting long in the tooth. :D

10. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Agreed. And you will pay $1500+ for it, just like a MacBook Pro.

It's not that Apple puts anything special in their kit, they simply go through the extensive (and costly) engineering process to ensure interoperability of the hardware with their operating system. No one, short of high-end Dell's can claim the same.

Proof in point, an Acer built in early 2020 will have significantly different components than one built later in the year while carrying the same model number. Costs are kept low because they source the cheapest components available at the time. DOn't believe me? Take a look at their available driver page, and you will see 5 different sound card drivers for Windows alone. Why? Because the hardware is different per manufacturing run.

I've been in this industry for 27 years and have worked with just about every brand out there across a multitude of industries. You can argue opinions, but you can't argue with my experience.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Apple is just well marketed Amway with more rabid cult followers.

Not insulting enough? Apple is Bose. :crackup:

12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Well, I've been in the industry for over 30 years so...yeah, I can. As a CTO with hundreds of laptops in my current workforce, let alone over the years, I'm pretty sure I have a solid handle on what's what. And apple shit is nothing special. In fact, percentage wise, we have had more issues with MacBooks than other laptops.

13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Better comparison in this group is Harley Davidson.

14. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

:rolleyes:

Sounds like you may be in over your head, mister CTO, if hundreds of systems give you a headache.

15. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Thank you, new "Mr. Sunshine"...:eek::D:crackup::crackup::crackup:

16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Headache? Nice reading comprehension, kreskin.

17. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Am I the Mac equivalent? :oops:

:D

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

This is the beeb. I call BS.

19. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

Check Fry's weekly ads. They usually have refurbished HP's or similar for cheap. I picked up a 15.6" Hp with touchscreen, 8GB, 500GB. AMD processor for about $400 a couple years ago, works great for basic stuff, bit slow for CAD. I've had good luck with refurbished stuff.

20. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Acer is usually shit. Unless you like to buy a vowel once in a while because a key flew of the keyboard.
    Dell and Asus for me. Usually at Costco because they have a better warranty.