1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Respirator needed for my RN daughter

Discussion in 'General' started by Jon Wilkens, May 7, 2020.

1. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Thanks. Let me see if she can utilize these...there was a reason she went into a respirator. How many are there?

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

One state over, I was just discussing masks and supplies with my ER attending brother while mountain biking the other day.
    They had early issues but are just fine now.
    Wonder why they can't get supplies there.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

With the millions of masks being made weekly that weren't being made before it makes no sense so I'd bet the hospital bean counters.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I only have 2 but happy to send them to her. No charge. Appreciate what she does!

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  5. Crispietofu

Crispietofu Well-Known Member

Some hospitals are making health care workers reuse regular n95 mask for the whole shift. Typically on a normal setting you discord the mask after you leave the patient room if there is airborne pathogens in the room. But due to low supply they just making people reuse the mask even after leaving patient room. A risperator allows the mask to be easily cleaned and all you do is replace what filters ever so often. Ordered mine from airgas.com and extra filters for my work since we have to reuse our mask for the whole shift . You have a ace hardware store try that. My co-workers have been lucky in hunting down mask from different hardware stores in my county. They come In different sizes and she would have to take a seal test where you wear a big bag over her head and they spray some food flavor to see if you taste it with the mask. With risperators any filter with the model n100 or p100 will work. The number acts as the percentage of blocking particles .

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I'd be curious what the burn rate is per person per shift.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I keep hearing a ton of one mask per day. It makes no sense at all with the production having been increased.

And on the other side of things you have tv adds now for 10 per mask...that cost what, pennies to make?

8. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

They restricted masks to 2 n95/shift, and 2 surgical masks at my Wife's hospital at the start of this, but have since relaxed the rules for aerosol generating procedures (intubation, suctioning, etc) after securing a better supply chain. I made some plastic pocket protectors for her and a bunch of coworkers so they could reuse without contaminating their surgical masks. I gave her my only respirator to keep in her work bag just in case.

Hope you find one. Check the local paint and industrial supply places. Up here the hoarding fucktards have cleaned out all the easy and online sources, but I've heard some paint and industrial supply places still have lots on racks in the stores.

Best of luck to Her, and hope she stays safe.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  9. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

A friend of mine wife is a Dr. at our local hospital . I had a couple n95 masks left over from when I was doing drywall at my house a couple months ago.I took them to her about a 2weeks ago. She told me she had only been given 1 mask
    from the hospital.Hopefully they have been able to get some more masks by now.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  10. Jon Wilkens

Thank you everyone! I was able to track a suitable mask down using some of the suggestions here. Ended up finding one at a supply house for sandblasting equipment/media out of Oklahoma. The BEEB rocks. Daughter is stoked she will have her own mask. Again, thank you for all your suggestions, efforts, and offers. :beer:

Jay305, Funkm05, sheepofblue and 3 others like this.
  11. Crispietofu

Crispietofu Well-Known Member

Awesome! Make sure she gets it approved with management with a fit test and is written down. My company is pretty shady and can defend themselves by telling us we didn't get a written fit test with equipment we bring ourselves thus not allowing us to get workers comp if we get infected at work

David-imoddavid and Jon Wilkens like this.
  12. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i went through this with my gf weeks ago. hunting down n95 masks wherever we could find them. she got 5, and has had them on rotation and letting them air out in between.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  13. Jon Wilkens

She will have to do a fit test for sure. They put her in a bubble basically with her mask on and bubble has a certain smell or taste....if mask is good, she won't detect any of it.

14. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

How many M95's does she need. Also could get some duck bills's but those things are really restrictive.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  15. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I'm taking care if BMT patient. Had a nurse visit twice, she removed her N95 mask a couple of times to take pictures of Joe...good grief....it was filthy inside. Musta been wearing it for a days.
    I had a box of 30 and gave her 10 of them.

Still have 8 left if ya want them.
    HDX N95 Respirator Mask.

They're obviously used in construction and I haven't a clue bout nuttin'.

If they're any use to you, pm me an address and I'll ship them tomorrow...if that's even possible!!

Don't know if post office or FedEx is open.
    Been couped up watching no TV or news for months.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  16. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

The ones with the outlet valve are pretty useless for covid.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  17. Jon Wilkens

As long as she has her respirator, she is good to go. I got her a new one on the way. Thanks

18. Jon Wilkens

Right now, she is good to go with a new respirator on the way to her. Thanks.

19. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  20. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Not really, just tape the vent closed on the outside.

Jon Wilkens likes this.