1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will you use air travel in the near future?

Discussion in 'General' started by BROsiah, May 7, 2020.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I have been flying all along for work and I think I like it better right now. Security lines are short because you only have a few assholes going on some big adventure and everyone else knows the drill, airports are actually pleasantly quiet and planes are not packed asshole to elbow. And no one wants to talk or even sit close. It is quite nice. Direct flights are now pretty hard to come by though. I am not looking forward to the airports being taken over by the lemmings and their ill behaving little crumb snatchers again after this is over.

sbk1198 and Phl218 like this.
  2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Don't forget to take your sunglasses off :D

3. Eight Screws

Eight Screws Well-Known Member

As soon as my customers are good with visits I’m back in the skies again

Actually can’t wait really

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah didn't think about the passports for them, that would be such a cool trip. They'll love the tunnels :D

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Tunnels on I-80 in PA? I musta missed 'em, or I'm so used to 'em they pass without a thought...or my memory is shot. I can't remember. :D

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Uh, you gotta go west of Philly... :Poke:

(I’m basing off memory from one of my stateside sojourns, I’ll map it out so they get the best experience possible. Piddly-assed Lowry Hill tunnel here you can hock a loogey through if you’ve got a tailwind :D)

7. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I do a lot of driving for work, not so much flying. My rule is if the drive is 8+ hours, I consider flying. Any less and it’s not worth the hassle, but that’s mainly because I have to fly with equipment and that adds a whole layer of complexity.

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No. But I wasn't using it before.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That's I-76. Yeah, it has tunnels.

10. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Literally checking every day to see when SouthWest open up Christmas flights to Colorado. Heck ya I’ll fly and soon. Over this crap.

flygirl likes this.
  11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That’s the destination! Well, the path I’ll take to our destination!

You’re an ok douche for a guy, Fred. :D

12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

If you take the turnpike (I76) don't forget your money. They have priced that road very high. EZ pass will save you about 30% though.

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

That thing was like 20 bucks from end to end back in the early 90s. I can't imagine what it is now.

14. BROsiah

BROsiah Well-Known Member

And that's what it will hinge upon. People much higher up in the industry think this will be very long and slow recovery . But its up to people feeling safe and IMO most people think we over reacted and they don't like being locked down. During 9/11 it was scary for a different reason and when the economy took a dump nobody had money. I am not here to debate the virus i just get the feeling from most that they are itching to get their life back and do what they want . As for money people are only broke because they aren't allowed to go back to work. I have no clue what i am talking about I just don't think it will be as long as they say( i hope) . I am not saying it will be fine in a month or two but i don't see it taking 3 years like they predict . A lot has to do with media and if they fearmonger people again.
    Fall roles around a few people die from the actual flu and they will attribute that to Covid 19 i am sure :(

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

It took three years for the airline industry to recover post 9/11, and the drop was only 30% compared to the 95% decline today. I'll be surprised if it gets back to 2019 levels before 2025.

16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

But that was caused by real economic factors, not the Kung Flu and close your business orders from the state.

Everyone hopes the recovery will be fast....not as fast as the drop but even if its 2-3x slower than the drop, thats only a year or so until a return to normal levels.

17. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

My wife will have some time off at the end of the month before starting anew job and we are ready to jump on a plane to go somewhere warm but we're not sure where a good place would be given the current environment.

18. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I read (about 30 minutes after I posted the above statement) where The Boeing CEO (I think, one of them grand poobahs) said 2-3 years to recover to 2019 levels and then another 2 years to regain the upward slope of ridership. Lemme look for the interview.

Edit: They are all videos, and I'm not keen to test the theory of relatability to subject for the vid. But 30-50% recovery by the end of the year, "for three years we will slowly crawl back to traffic levels that we had in 2019, and then it will take another two years to get back on the growth curve that the industry has enjoyed for the last two decades."

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  19. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Just flew from Toronto to Vancouver. Honestly, one of the BEST trips ive ever had. The airport was a ghost town, no one in security line ups, plane was 20% capacity if that...It was basically one person per 3 seat row, with a lot of the middle row empty (787)

They forgot to mention they stopped serving any sort of food/beverages other than bottled water. 5 hour flight. Glad i ate before i flew.

They required you to wear a mask the entire time...that was the only sucky part. Oh, and cant eye ball cute chicks...everyones wearing a mask! lol

Half the flight were asian students who also had full body tyvek suits on as well as safety glasses. I wore those things for work....id rather get KungFlu than sweat in that shit...

Flying back on Sunday.

Thing is, this is temporary...airlines simply cant survive at these pax levels...so things go back to the way they were, except now more strict controls, more rules, more shit for them to yell at you before/during flight.
    Like the Air Canada rule of no over the ear headphones during taxi and takeoff unless theyre plugged into their intercom. Yea how about no.

crashman and Photo like this.
  20. BROsiah

BROsiah Well-Known Member

I understand that and I'm not saying it's gonna be fine in a few months but.......90% of flights are down because people are physically not allowed. Everything is shut down nowhere to go. So of course it's down 90%. My wife owns a hair salon and her business is down 100% . Yesterday Ohio announced when she can open back up. In one afternoon she booked up for the next 3 weeks.

It's a matter of being allowed to fly and will people feel safe. Everyday this drags on and these insane restrictions pile up. The more people are getting frustrated and want their life back. Local restaurants that you could walk into anytime now have reservations because people can't wait to go back out.

Id feel safer on a plane a few times a year that at a bar or restaurant every week.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Quicktoy likes this.