1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on.....Laptops

Discussion in 'General' started by lee955i, May 7, 2020.

1. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Whats the scoop on good brands these days? Previous go-to was Toshiba but they'r out of the consumer game these days. Before we get started, no $2000 uber gaming platforms. This is for web browsing, music storage, easy shit, so sub $500. Aaannnddd, Go!

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Macbook Pro.

Once a Wanker.. and Cannoli like this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Acer is my go to. I've had Asus (okay), low end HP (for my kid and it's junk) and I keep going back to Acer.

4. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

In on page 1.

(I need one, too)

5. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Nothing from Best Buy / Staples.

Acer / Asus / HP in the PC realm. Latest (2020) MacBook Air for light duty on the other side, but that's out of your budget.

Wouldn't touch a Dell or a Lenovo with a 10' pole.

I've seen decent machines come across the block here: https://www.woot.com/category/computers/laptops

6. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

I picked up a Lenovo Ideapad S340 at Costco for 400. Works great for what I (and it appears you) need. 15 inch, touchscreen... looks like they don't stock it anymore but if you can find it, seems like a good deal.

7. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Cannoli likes this.
  8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I have a very gently used, 15 month old Dell 15.6" HD laptop available. It is back to new-in-box state, so I would suggest adding an SSD and a bit of RAM … it comes with a single stick of 4GB (or was it 8?), but also has 16GB of Optane memory, so it is not too bad as is.

I ended up with a nicer laptop a few months later, so I put it back in the box. Just haven't put any effort toward selling it.

If interested, I can get more info to you. I need to see what its current value is to determine a fair price for you. It will be more than adequate for the tasks you mentioned.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Any love/hate/comments RE: the Surfacebook? Mini blond is thinking that is what she wants next.

10. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Currently using a Lenovo (that I bought and barely used as I hated Win. 8 , and went back to my 7 machine..) . Dug it out, updated, and it's buggy as hell, slow, and won't even rip CD's half the time. Also, I don't worship at the alter of Apple..:crackup:

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Just save yourself some time and go over to newegg and look at Acers. Pick one out with the specs you want and buy it.

I love their travelmates and I'm typing this reply on a 10 year old travelmate that's a bit worn out but still kicks ass.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have a monochrome Toshiba I bought in 1995 or six running MSDOS 3.1 something that still boots.

Marid2apterbilt likes this.
  13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Lenovo Carbon X1. Light, thin, fast.

14. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Being a certified tech of all major brands I was constantly asked what's a good laptop to buy.
    My answer was, right now. No idea.
    They all change models on a monthly bases. By the time I knew what sucked they quit making them.
    The good brands, I didn't service much.
    So yes, apple tends to be very good and expensive. If your used to windows there is a learning curve, not much worse than going from windows 7/8 to 10.
    The brands I consistently HATED to work on was Lenovo and HP, tended to favor Dell for commercial.
    Asus and Acer tend to be consistently decent machines, what many don't know they make mother boards for many other company's.
    From what your asking for, Max the memory and yes a SSD drive will take a OK computer to pretty dam good.
    Most new SSD drives come with a program to transfer the data from old disk to new, just get a bigger SSD than your regular disk.
    That makes a Intel I5 with 8 gig and 256 gig disk fine. Get the laptop, add memory and install a SSD disk.
    You have a great OEM recovery disk and more than likely have a computer that will last 5 years at least before the OS is obsolete.
    My opinion and 2 bucks will get you a coffee at Mc'Dee's

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I just went through this and decided to try a cheap Dell Chromebook. It was about $150 and does what I need. The best part is that it isn't Windows or Apple. It has some drawbacks potentially as I don't do much with music, video or photos.

Banditracer likes this.
  16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Apple is retarded. Their pricing for their phones is offensive. The pries for the new pro 16" is just full on retarded.

Went to check their prices using airline miles to burn mine up and it was more then a Rolex. Fuck Apple!

17. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Don't make me dig out the machine that still runs Windows for Workgroups on DOS 6.2

dantheman likes this.
  18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Go for it. I think mine still has a functioning version of Lotus and Word Perfect on it.

dantheman likes this.
  19. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

My desktop is W3.1 with QuattroPro 5.0 and WordStar 1.5.

So there. :p

beac83 and R Acree like this.
  20. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

I've got an old dell D600, it's yours for shipping. Will send a second for parts if you need them. LOL