1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mark151 to courtesy phone - knife sharpening advice.

Discussion in 'General' started by zamboiv, May 4, 2020.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

What, 25 dollar dexter russell knives? Its commercial sharpening on a grinder, it has its place. I bring my own knives to work, weather is on a boat, restaurant, or lodge. And am not going to send a custom knife from seki japan to a local service to be grinded

2. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Is Denny’s really a restaurant? :D

YamahaRick likes this.
  3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Impossible. But I'll bet he's been to half of them.

4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

In Tampa...

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:crackup:

6. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I bought a couple combo whetstones a few years ago for sharpening all my knives. Some days I can get them perfect. Other days I stop and try again later lol. Just a off hand guess but I think they're around 400/1000/3000/8000, and I store them submerged in water in a lock n lock container. Some say you shouldn't store them in water, some say you can. I've never noticed any issues storing them in water. Works for me.

You can use the scary sharp method too (wet/dry sandpaper on glass). I use that for woodworking chisels, plane blades etc. It's a cheaper alternative (cheaper in the short term).

Do a quick google search and you will discover that sharpening stones, their care and use, are just as controversial as what type of oil is best, or who the GOAT is on a motorcycle forum. Everybody has an opinion, and their way is best.....good luck:)

7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Whether not weather.
    I was going to go off on grinded instead of ground as the past tense of grind, however, grinded is now an acceptable word to some grammarians. I don't like it but I will accept it.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Hmmm...

vfrket likes this.
  9. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Guess I'm lucky that most people pay me for cooking over proper grammatical perfection.

10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

That’s it! Show ‘em how it’s done. :beer:
    Never concede!

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Without google....
    Name the 5 sauces?
    Whats in a roux? A mirepoix?

What color is the boat house at Hereford?

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

12. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Thanks. I used to have a two sided stone when I was a kid and would use it with oil to sharpen my buck knives and shit. I guess I probably wasn’t too far off.
    I’ll grab a whetstone and see if I can get half decent at it.

13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

There is no common ground when it comes to the grind

15. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling I know the answer but does anybody have thoughts on a Work Sharp? I’ve had one for about 5-6 years and it just died. Luckily I just sharpened everything, even the lawnmower blades, probably why it died. I can get a pocket knife sharp enough to easily shave with...do I really need something sharper? It’s fast, retard proof, works great on scissors and even the previously mentioned mower blades.

I’ve tried using a stone without a guide and I quickly turned a steak knife into a butter knife, I need that retard proof part n

Sabre699 likes this.
  16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

If you’ve had one and know it works for you, who gives a shit what anyone here thinks? Order up a new one. :flag:

Sabre699 and Jed like this.
  17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I've wanted to try one of these, but the price is stupid and as a divorced male I don't exactly wear out kitchen knives on my to-go meals.

https://wickededgeusa.com/

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh look at me, I'm fancy! I know the 5 sauces of french cooking and I drink my tea with my pinkie out. I named a mirepoix instead of the holy trinity. I move the dishes before I piss in the kitchen sink and brush my teeth with my toothbrush before I use it to clean my boots. I'm a fancy boy! :crackup:

Fah lah lah lahdy dah dah!

20. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Are you working? Lots of yachts parked in Ft. Laudy and the crews have been put off, except for Captain, Engineer, and a few deck guys.