1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recessed lighing question

Discussion in 'General' started by njracer, May 4, 2020.

1. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Our kitchen area currently has a ceiling fan with lights. Wife hates it.

The room is 17 x 11 and has a cathedral ceiling (8ft on the low side, 10 on the high side).

Want to get rid of the ceiling fan and slap in some recessed leds.

With that space, should I go with 4, 6 or 9 cans? I have limited space between the sheet rock and roof (6in).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. cm1744

cm1744 Well-Known Member

9 lights probably isn't too many. Rectangular pattern, it sounds like? Pay attention to how the lighting will be over work surfaces (don't shadow your counters).

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Get dimmable lights or use 2 or three switches so you can vary the lighting level. I realize that switches are old school and Alexa will do the same thing, but I speak analog.

4. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Don’t get those!

The new flashy panty melting chick magnet is wafer lights. No mounted junction box, blast a hole wherever you want a fixture (even across a framing member). The fixture fits in the footprint of 1/2” drywall! They are dimmable and color temp selectable.

They also make them in a gimbal, but those won’t be able to straddle any framing that’s in the way.

Halo is my preferred brand.

713 and cpettit like this.
  6. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

This. And on a vaulted ceiling you want the gimbal lights so you can direct them. If you put regular lights in they will just point off in an odd angle at the wall or cabinets.

G2G likes this.
  7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Doesn't sound like he's after spots, just general illumination. He should be fine with fixed fixtures.

8. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Ok, I like those wafer lights!

Just have to figure out if I need 6 or 9 lights.

9. 713

713 Well-Known Member

The wafer lights are bad ass! I just installed some for the first time.

10. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Spend the extra couple bucks for the 'color adjustable' feature. You'll be glad you did!

I did a complete exterior remodel last year. New roof, cornice, soffits, windows, doors, siding, stacked stone, rock front porch.
    I researched a LOT, and ended up using about 20 of these in the soffit, on two different dimmers to light up 3 sides of my house. Mostly used 6", but I've got them dimmed so far down, normally, I wish I'd gone with all 4". All set to 2,700k. I'm going to add photo sensor switches soon. I'm glad I used the true recessed ones, to reduce the glare of the flat wafer ones.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-RL...d-Integrated-LED-Kit-RL6069S1EWHDMR/306673240

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  11. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Full bright dimmer settings:

upload_2020-5-5_13-37-40.jpeg

Major, complete re-landscaping and new HVAC work commencing currently.

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

More is the only answer. You can't turn on what you didn't install, but you can dim them if its too much light. But I'm betting it won't be.