1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deck Building Advice

Discussion in 'General' started by fastedyamaha, May 4, 2020.

1. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

All knowing beeb, help me with this question. Building a small 12x12 deck but am unable to use traditional 4x4 post buried in the ground for support. I want to build a free standing deck no more than 10 inches above the ground. Has anyone ever put down a gravel base and compacted it and used this to directly set the framework onto?

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Could you use concrete deck blocks?

upload_2020-5-4_23-1-7.jpeg

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Concrete piers ... if you want this to last for the long term.

turner38 likes this.
  4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I recently replaced a concrete patio that had cracked and settled 6” in the center with a 12’x8’ wood deck. It is sitting on cap blocks...

5. cm1744

cm1744 Well-Known Member

That's a small deck. Well, smaller than average. Be sure to trim your bushes back so it'll at least look bigger.

6. YamahaRick

39750_1_800.jpg

7. fastedyamaha

Just needs to be big enough for a picnic table and 4 chairs, we don’t entertain much.

8. fastedyamaha

I’m worried about those being stable enough to support the deck and keep it level in the long run.

9. YamahaRick

10. fastedyamaha

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

if you use a decent width edge board and some cross bracing, those should be fine unless a tornado strikes. Those blocks don't provide much resistance to uplift.

TurboBlew likes this.
  12. YamahaRick

You said you couldn't bury a 4x4. My suggestion has the 4x4 on top of a concrete pier.

If you are saying you cannot dig into the ground, my question to you is "why not?"

badmoon692008 likes this.
  13. fastedyamaha

Yes, I’m saying I can’t dig into the ground. There’s underground electrical lines running to the garage as well as a French drain system running through the area making it impossible to dig holes.

YamahaRick likes this.
  14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Those piers don't go into the ground - they just sit on top of it. They're by far your best option, I think. Shouldn't even need to lay gravel (which, during compaction, would probably negatively affect your french drain).

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

anything built on grade is not gona be all that stable. Are you able to attach it to the house?? What kind of foundation?

16. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

You're actually better off NOT attaching to the house in this case. Since the deck won't have frost protection (and the house presumably does), keep them close but separate.
    O.P., would a patio work for you?

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Just build it well, it will be heavy enough to just sit on the ground and be fairly secure.

18. fastedyamaha

No, there’s a window well, electrical outlet, and a water spigot in the way. Plus you’d have to get a permit which can’t be done at this time.

19. fastedyamaha

A patio would be several thousand dollars and therefore not cost effective.

20. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid:

Razr and R Acree like this.