1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CAD laptop Guru's

Discussion in 'General' started by Critter, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Critter

Critter Registered

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

What’s your question tho?

3. racerx43

racerx43 Well-Known Member

As a spark user you will want to shop video card specs. Their vx elements can do off cpu processing v7+, it’s less about CPU more about gpu and ram. Same goes for Artec scanners too.
    I use an Evga SC 17 inch laptop maxed out and while I bought it new, you can find them used pretty cheap. Only the heaviest meshes slow it down. Any post processing you do with windows SW (like solidworks, PolyWorks, scan2cad will thank you for having a higher end PC.
    Other good brands to look at are Alienware 17, Razer Blade Pro, Asus ROG G731, or the MSI GT series.
    Good luck - let me know how I can help!

4. Critter

Critter Registered

I am looking for something cheaper than the 5200 bones they quoted me

5. Critter

Critter Registered

Man I would love to pick your brain for a few minutes

6. racerx43

Replied to your PM

7. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Have you looked at Shapr on iPad Pro?

8. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Are you just modeling or running FEA? Different requirements IMO. Also after working from home a bit lately, I can say there is no replacement for a proper desktop. Just the screen area alone makes modeling from a laptop a chore.

9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I have a 22" monitor on the side table next to the couch. Just plug in the hdmi cable and I've now got duals for modeling/programming/beebing from the couch. My cad laptop is a 4 year old 15" lenovo p50, so nowhere near the capabilities discussed here, but good enough for my needs at home. Yeah, nothing beats a desktop, but a good laptop is a decent compromise. Especially with an extra screen. Extra screen comes in handy Sunday mornings for browsing the web while watching MotoGP video pass too.

Just checked my system specs against your requirements, and it would work. I've only got 8gb ram, but you can increase that. My processor is an I7-6700HQ @2.6ghz. so minimum specs, but a newer lenovo would be better. I've had zero issues with mine thus far.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  10. racerx43

I’m thinking the OP was intending to use a laptop while scanning, and thus the portable needs. I started with a cheap laptop for field scans, and had to get a gaming one to keep the scanners (Artec’s) happy while scanning, plus the time it took to grab a scan on the crappy one was irritating. Totally agree - for post processing work a great desktop is going to run circles around what you can max out a laptop with.

11. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Ahh, I'm not familiar with scanning and that all makes sense with regards to portability. I read CAD and assumed modeling. I agree with your first post, GPU and RAM will have the largest effect on performance in that case.

12. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

13. Critter

Critter Registered

Yes my plan is to run either the Go Scan Spark or Artec leo, the Leo I process back at the office, but the Spark needs to process in the field...