1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The one that got away...favorite bike that is!

Discussion in 'General' started by DmanSlam, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Knolly

Knolly Well-Known Member

I mostly just drive it from parking lot to parking lot so that I can get approached by a man in his mid 60s every time I stop.

But seriously, it's such a raw and fun little machine. Puts a smile on my face every time.

2. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

The bike in the picture is a 600F3, unless they stuffed a 900 motor into it.

TurboBlew, rd400racer and pawpawrc like this.
  3. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Personally got away? Sometimes I miss my Speed Triple. Thought about trying to track the dude down again like others have thought. He was an army dude though and it was like 7 or 8 years ago at this point, could be wadded up, or half way around the world by now. I got rid of it at a time where I was sharing a townhouse, was riding mountain bikes all the time way more than bikes any time it was sunny out, and could use the money so I just sold it. Now I could start hanging on to things I build just for the sake of it without much affect. Kinda wish I kept it since I did so much to it.

_MG_5737.JPG
    _MG_5766.JPG

Kinda got away... had a buddy with a showroom new looking RC51 for a while and when he wanted to get rid of it I didn't jump. Always loved those. For getting's sake I'd love to just have a TZ750, an RSA250, and an R7. I think the R7 still might be my all time absolute favorite bike. I dunno why, its just beautiful, and I love Haga, and I associate that time in my life where I really started falling in love with bike racing. a Crighton rotary bike would be sick.

Recently the one that "got away"... some guy in Northern Virginia like 15 minutes away was selling an 80% done, Spondon frame RG500 with RGV fairings, a Dent bored out motor with Nova gearbox and dry clutch, Marchesinis, carbon fairings, and a bunch of other shit on it for an amazing price. This was like last December. Needed carbs and pipes and a paint job pretty much. It was getting no bids on Ebay, i was waiting to offer him money when there was a day left, took down the auction before it ended, and when I messaged him he didn't respond. I would have LOVED to finish that bike. I wish somebody here knew the guy. Sellers name was "tz250racer", I can't believe its not somebody on here. Posting doesn't work any more, but can still grab the thumb...

s-l200.jpg

God I should have snatched it. I wonder what he did, I didn't see it posted anywhere but Ebay.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh, I "get" Morgans and boner up like a 18 year old in an R rated movie at the mention of the name but, to be honest, I only get a semi over the 3 wheelers. :D

You need a name change now that I know you have a Morgan three wheeler. Lord Upper Cut? Ducky McDorkbottom? Oliver Windsor? :D

Wait, you're probably fantasizing about shooting down my grand dad in your spitfiretrike! I should ban you! :crackup:

Knolly likes this.
  5. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

'82 ELR, not because I loved the bike (foul handling, and ate the motor in the first 1k miles), but because of the stupid resale now. Actually, the one I miss was my first streetbike, a 1975 RD125C, purchased looking very similar to this pic. Got a job at a bike shop, and learned how to build motors with that thing. Ported it, bigger carbs, and I think J&L pipes, clubman bars, and a wicked metallic black and silver paint job. First time testing it after a short break in, I pulled a 104mph ticket. Bike wouldn't do over 64mph stock, due to the tall gearing, but it sure ripped after that. Sold it I forget why, and found it 10 years later, in the abandoned bike pile in a dealership 100 miles from where I lived. The dealer was having it hauled off with a bunch of other bikes the next day, but would sell it for $100 cash if I wanted it. Came back the next day with the money, and the bike was gone. yamaha-rd125-75-bikepics-267342.jpg

scottn likes this.
  6. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

to have the funds to build my next race bike back then...a YZF SP
    Kinda wish I kept this old girl too...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    HPPT likes this.
  7. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

That's insane that you were able to boost the top speed that much on that single-cylindered 125. I noticed the rear turn signals lenses. Did they serve as brake/running lights also?

8. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

I’ve not had this issue with bikes, I own what I like until I’ve replaced it with the next thing I truly like better, not anything whatsoever to do with having the latest greatest and this is very obvious being I’m in a 04 R1 currently. Before it I had a 02 and loved it as well. The only thing I really wish I had kept back in the day was my Dodge Charger. Still my favorite old school car to this day. I really would love to have another charger anything 68-1970 would do just fine.
    Once I wear this 04R1 out I will try to find another 04/06 or perhaps a 09/14 I just love the look of both generations.

9. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Ahead of their time.....the entire time!

I've stated a few times I'd love to re-create one, and of course stuff one of these Honda 350 lumps in it I have sitting around.

I wonder if it would fit AHRMA F250 with a mono-shock?

10. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

My first bike was a perfect unmolested R60/5 Toaster. I had it painted by an idiot and then let a sales guy bully me into trading it in on a new K75/3 (I really wanted the R100 Mystic). He just wanted the /5 and to unload the K bike. I used to see it around Athens, GA once in a while, but it's long gone now. Learn and live, I guess.

11. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Nice Speed Trip! Mine looks pretty similar minus the gold accenting. I love it!

Sweatypants likes this.
  12. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

RD125's were twins, not singles. Not that different than the race only TA125. Rear signals were turn only. Not sure why they made them red back then. Might have been DOT required.

DmanSlam likes this.
  13. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I never owned one previously, but I first started watching motorcycle racing in the late 90's and the Yosh GSXR 750 always felt special to me, so I'm in the process of building one for V7HW and AHRMA Next Gen 2. Because SRAD.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Carbs?

15. ScottyRock155

Yes, mine has carbs for now. If they give me trouble I will upgrade to the 98/99 fuel injection because I hate working on carbs.

16. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

regret letting go of my Hawk GT for sure

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Carbs would have been my choice on those. I had a couple. Not that hard to jet properly.

18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

“Illinois Law” is some funny stuff. :D

ChemGuy likes this.
  19. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Rob, where did you grow up in Central Illinois? Morton? Leroy? (Or was that Melka?)

20. ScottyRock155

Did you race them?