1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World's best mac n cheese recipe?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Apr 26, 2020.

1. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Fettuccine Alfredo....

NumNum!

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Jerk seasoned Mac and cheese.... No Fn Broccoli.....

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Well yeah, that is indeed a good pairing with PBR...

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What he said.

Either jerk seasoned MnC or some nice truffle oil MnC.

6. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Wait.....recipes?

7. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Sprinkle a little old bay on it. I love old bay as it kicks up things just enough. Do it in my corn on the cob as well.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You new here? Or are you bitching they're not posting recipes? :D

9. khill

khill Well-Known Member

:crackup::crackup:

Pie recipes (or any other dessert).....all good. Anything else is suspect.

10. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Velveeta and macaroni.Why do people ruin simple shit trying to make it gourmet.

11. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

ok Broomer

Phl218 and Jesse like this.
  12. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Reported

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Suspicion is a time-honored tradition here. :D

khill likes this.
  14. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Phl218. I now have a reason to go to Franklin. That place looks great, thanks

Phl218 likes this.
  15. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

Recipe below is from Vin Rouge in Durham, NC. Cooking this in cast iron at 500 degrees is highly recommended

1 pound macaroni
    5 ounces smoked slab bacon cut into 1/4-inch dice
    5.cups whole milk
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    5 cups grated Gruyere cheese, divided
    Salt
    Pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, or to taste
    3/4 cup heavy cream

Directions
    The keys to this recipe are its simplicity, the quality of the ingredients and how the dish is baked. The recipe uses a classic French mother sauce with cheese and some basic seasonings.

The chef bakes the macaroni in a enameled iron gratin dish that allows browning on the top and bottom of the dish and then cooks it in a pizza oven until golden brown. Our tester says this delicious recipe is quite rich and that home cooks may be more comfortable baking it at 450 degrees for a few minutes longer.

PREHEAT oven to 500 degrees.
    COOK the macaroni in boiling salted water for 8 to 9 minutes. Drain and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
    SAUTE bacon until brown and a little crispy, drain the fat and add bacon to the cooked macaroni.
    MELT the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When the butter starts to foam, whisk in the flour and continue stirring until a smooth pale roux has formed. While whisking, begin ladling the milk into the roux, about one cup at a time. After the milk has been completely incorporated, continue to whisk until the sauce thickens and bubbles gently, 5 to 10 minutes. Add 3 cups of Gruyere cheese, a handful at a time, and stir to melt and combine. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
    POUR the finished sauce over the macaroni, then stir 1 more cup of shredded gruyere cheese into the mixture. Transfer the macaroni mixture to a gratin dish and top generously with the remaining 1 cup cheese. Drizzle with heavy cream and bake in the oven until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.

motion likes this.
  16. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

just simple & easy comfort food like mama made, sea shell macaroni, velveeta to taste, whole milk to make as soupy as you like, salt pepper. it aint rocket science.

i will +1 for Cafe' Rel in Franklin, NC. their seafood bisque they have everyday is AWESOME! Ski

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

This sounds very good, will try next. Made recipe from @G Dawg last night, baked with parm, paprika breadcrumbs on top. Yum! Will post pics later.

Sabre699 likes this.
  18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

upload_2020-4-29_11-33-2.png

upload_2020-4-29_11-33-44.png

G Dawg and motion like this.
  19. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

G Dawg likes this.
  20. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

The review? We enjoyed it. Definitely a do over. So more details. I cobbled together a few recipes because @G Dawg just listed ingredients, plus I wanted it baked with breadcrumbs on top. I can spit them out if anyone wants.

I don't really process this as mac and cheese, more of a noodle casserole. The Rotel and diced jalapeño give it a nice undercurrent of heat, but don't overwhelm the dish. I was a little concerned about the amount of spicy mustard, but it blended nicely once the top note dissolved. For cheese, used half gruyere and half sharp cheddar. Used ham steak cubed into like 1/4 inch dimensions. Could have used a shade more broccoli, I used one of those trays already prepped with florets for stir fry. Breadcrumb topping was 1 1/2 c frozen breadcrumbs homemade from loaf of Maier's
    Italian, 1/2 c finely shredded parmesan, 4 tbsp melted butter, 2 tsp paprika. Good eating!

G Dawg likes this.