1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bald Eagles everywhere

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Had an owl buzz me once when I was in my tree stand. Never heard him until he was right on top of me. Just about scared me onto my head. 20 foot drop could've been serious.:eek:

Yzasserina likes this.
  2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I was just going to type the same story. Scared the shit out of me. Early morning and could barely see shit. He flew onto a tree branch about 10ft away from me. Sat there for about 10 minutes staring at me then flew away. Pretty cool in retrospect :D.

3. drop

drop Well-Known Member

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Bald eagle is nothing more than a souped up buzzard. He eats mainly roadkill and carrion with the occasional fish. Osprey is a better fisherman.

5. chickenpants

chickenpants Well-Known Member

Stick a needle in his eye

6. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Our office is on a bluff in downtown Anchorage right on the coast. Bald eagles float by the window every day all summer. Fairly often they are being dive bombed by seagulls off their 6, I guess because the eagles have raided their nests. Pretty much the eagles ignore them but the gulls are obviously pissed.

One memorable eagle experience was fishing for silver salmon late in the year in the Situk River (rivers up here are often east-coast creek sized) and maybe 20-30 bald eagles were feeding on the huge number of spawned out king or red salmon carcasses, kind of floating in and trying to grab one. They are big big birds and not terribly agile at low speeds and altitude so it was quite a show.

7. james weaver

james weaver Well-Known Member

damn buzzards are drying them selves after the rain .

Banditracer likes this.
  8. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I see them doing that all the time. More so in the winter after a cold clear night, there will be 20,30, 50 in big sycamore trees, wings spread open, soaking up the morning sun in order to thaw out.

rd400racer, Banditracer and Steeltoe like this.
  9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I live on the Detroit river.

We get them in the back yard once a month that I see.

Probably a lot more.

Spectacular birds to watch.

10. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Same here in MN. See them constantly, in some areas almost daily.

11. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Yep. I'm in Sparta, WI. Been here for about 1yr now. When I shoot to Lacrosse there is a spot on the river with a place setup to eagle watch. Was up there a month or so ago when the river was melting and there was like 10-12 that I saw. Just hanging out. Pretty freaking cool. I've made plans to go back and try to watch em for a couple of hours

Funkm05 likes this.