1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what would the WERA forum do v. new bike problems?

Discussion in 'General' started by turbulence, Apr 25, 2020.

1. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

D-Zum, yes I have "heard of FlashTune, Bazzaz, and DynoJet". You also say "Difference is.....you understand the Analog better." I think we should just cordially agree to disagree.

With the plethora of computer controlled vehicles these days I doubt after-market can support a large amount in a way that many could be kept running WITH their anti wheelie, traction control, anti lock, electronic throttle systems functioning. I wish you were correct. It would make me happier in general for transportation.

I have a good friend who went to GMI institute and is a GM super-tech. He explains that GM and all of them (likely bikes also) are lobbying so the manufacturers are not required by law to release information that makes the aftermarket electronics companies able to provide support and diagnostics. He tells me the vehicle companies say its because of safety but is likely because the corporations are working to make vehicles such that they can only be repaired at franchised dealers. This leads to faster obsolescence and more money for the dealer garages.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

That's not a technical issue...that's marketing, monopolistic possibly, and a legal issue/argument. Definitely related, but separate.

Has nothing do to with answering the "Can it be done?" question. It's the follow-up "But will we be allowed to do it?" question that your point addresses.

3. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Right on point, sir. This guy is good! :cool:

4. Chasbro

Chasbro Well-Known Member

Anyone remember when computer controls became widespread on cars? It was 1981. No badge, no sticker. Complete silence. Just a little check engine light. That's when they put the noose around your neck, real loose at first.

turbulence, tl1098 and fastfreddie like this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

my sample size of KTM buyers isnt very large... but out of 5...4 regret their purchases. The guy that didnt bought a 300xc 2t dirtbike. The bike issues werent as bad as the service incompetance. Like a warped rotor in 700 miles?? brake caliper issues on bikes less than a year old?? Dealers claiming they cant get ahold of Corporate tech support?? Ma bell excuses or maybe their fax is out of toner. :rolleyes:

418 likes this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I worked at a gas station in 83. The wrenches there claimed "fuel injection" was going to be the downfall of automotive service.
    Also something about "jap crap" when I cruised in on my MB5. They also liked to break out the small diameter neck on cars that ran unleaded because leaded fuel was $.10 cheaper...lol.

7. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

So you don’t get leather, A/C, or buckets and a center console because of electronics? Weird, man.

8. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Had a 78, man I loved that bike,never sell any of your motorcycles,ever!!!

Banditracer likes this.
  9. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I remember being told that when the manufacturers started putting electric fuel pumps in the tanks of cars we were all done for. We would all be blowed up.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    DmanSlam and TurboBlew like this.
  10. 23103a

23103a Well-Known Member

Last year I bought my 2018 Superduke 1290. Sort of a similar experience... signed all the paperwork, "the battery is charging up and they're hooking it up to the computer..."

A couple hours later they couldn't get the bike to communicate/unlock/whatever they do. It ended up being about 3-4 hours of the tech talking to someone from KTM before they got it to work. I kinda thought I was going to have to go home with an empty truck. But, a year later it's been great.

Most owners put up with KTM because no one makes a bike as exciting. Once you rip some wheelies on the SDR you will agree. I'm certain that KTM will make it right and you will love the hell out of the thing. And i'm jealous that mine is out of date now!

turbulence likes this.
  11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

AC is an option in just about every car on the market as part of the base trim.
    Buckets and console may be standard for the model or not. If not, the decision rests on how well they integrate the console with the bucket option, or not, and whether I have to buy a buncha other stuff I don't want.
    Leather? Not at the cost of a buncha other stuff I have no use for. Besides, I'd likely put seat covers on it anyway.
    They're not sellin' me on any of that blingy, shiny, flashy BS...I ain't buyin' it.

upload_2020-4-26_20-34-1.jpeg

crashman likes this.
  12. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

well there’s the first positive thing someone has said haha.

pics!!

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

But but but I've had my [european who gives a fk] for 2,900 miles and not one single problem!

14. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

tell us more

15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

In the tech's defense … the situation could have been experienced even if he was the company's #1 tech guru from The Motherland. Stuff happens.

There are potential resolutions. A fail safe would be for the manufacturer to pull a unit from their spares (hopefully available stateside), have the US factory ace tech update the unit with everything promised (and then some, if possible), have it shipped to the dealer overnight priority, and plug it in the bike. In theory, resolution complete.

Assuming (on my part) that, this is a viable approach. My newest bike is a 1986 model year; I don't know crap about modern diesel bikes.

16. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Like most things, opinions tend to be polarizing.
    Love it or Hate it type of divide, with little middle ground.
    I put an ARD mag on a XS-650. What kind of nut decides to race one of those ? ? :D:rolleyes:o_O
    Give the dealer a chance to get KTM technical support involved.

17. YamahaRick

If not racing, that's an awesome base to make a cool street tracker.

[​IMG]

18. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Nice. Do you still ride it ?
    Not currently close to the photos of mine. Maybe tomorrow ...

19. YamahaRick

Not mine. Random image via Google.

No four strokes in my collection. I hear they are gaining popularity; just not with me.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  20. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

SpeedyE, beechkingd and YamahaRick like this.