1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The one that got away...favorite bike that is!

Discussion in 'General' started by DmanSlam, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

1992 ZX-7R
    1998 Tl1000r
    2008 848

I'll miss all of those bikes. One of which is still floating around here on the BBS

2. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

In the winter, I parked it in my office...er...dining room. Best roommate ever.
    [​IMG]

650 RACER and Banditracer like this.
  3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

An older friend was selling his RC30...I had a kid in college at the time...:(

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I had absolutely no room for anything when Boccarp was liquidating :(

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

maybe he still has some of those bikes left? ;-)

6. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Really miss my 1994 VFR750. Such a wonderful sounding motor and that crazy gear wine!

Also kicking myself for selling my mint RC51 with tons of upgrades. Was in a shitty position and ended up selling it to my younger brother. Within a month, he dropped it fucking up one of the cans on the full Micron system and killing one of the Sato rearsets. A few weeks later he somehow dropped something on the tank and took out a big paint chip. Makes me sick everytime I see it.....never should have sold it.

7. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

88 Yamaha FZR750RU.
    Anyone in law enforcement feel like running this vin and giving me the last known owner.
    Carfax will just tell me it was "re-title" around 1992... but no names.

Looking for 88 FZR750RU Vin # 1212

Here is the whole vin #... JYA2NKE0XJA001212

I purchased her brand new from my local Pennsylvania Yamaha shop on 04/18/1989!!!

Your title should be a "reconstructed" title??? I wrecked the bike on 10/15/1990 and it was totaled by the insurace company.

Here is my direct email... [email protected]
    Here is my cell... 724-464-7543

If this is my original bike... I would love to have a chance to get her back... That bike almost killed me!!! Would love to have her back in my garage...

Thanks,
    Joe Novella

8. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Lawd, that is me as well. Watching a younger sibling neglect a valuable hand-me-down could probably be a thread of its own. :clap:

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I had a super cool ‘83 R80ST in the 90’s. BIL wanted it, so I sold it to him for what I had into it.... $3k. It sits in his side yard for a couple years, unused, then he sells it for $6k. Family...

Boman Forklift likes this.
  10. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I can ride/use it whenever I want but it's just not the same anymore.....kind of like knowing your virgin gf was fucked by your brother. lol

11. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

It wasn't my favorite bike, but reading these tales of woe reminded of this:

In 1989 I sold my 1980 Ducati 900SS (black and gold) for $3000. I bought it in 1982 for $3800. It was a hard bike to ride comfortably (at least, for me it was), but I was getting tired of spending $500 every time something broke on it.

Kickstarter lever - $500
    Ignition module - $500
    Headlight - $500 (no, IIRC that was only $300)

But when it was good, it was VERY good. No bike at that time could rival the sound it made at 7000 rpm.

Phl218 and dave3593 like this.
  12. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

The '99 Ducati 996 that I bought last summer. Only had it for two months, then had to sell it to pay fall tuition lol. I've had about 10 bikes and boy that bike has SOUL compared to anything else I'd ridden. My 05 zx6r was pretty rad too. Absolutely this summer I'll be getting a 998 or an 1199.

13. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Desperately missing this feeling right now
    [​IMG]

Phl218 and trussdude like this.
  14. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

If I ever get a 600 this will be the bike. The front end feel on these things is fantastic stock so any improvement would really be something!

15. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Still got mine. Bought it in 82. Pain in the rear bike to keep running. Pain in the wrists bike to ride. But mama Mia what a bike. Keeping it was the right thing to do.

tl1098 likes this.
  16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Don't care about a single one of them. They're just tools to me.

I wish I could recover that enthusiasm for the machine. Good on those of you who never lost it.

17. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Little different... That was a perfect bike to me. Won quite a few races on it too.
    E1EC468F-DDCA-4CE4-831A-A0E0CB1676BC.jpeg

evakat likes this.
  18. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My 94 CBR900RR. My son did his first track day at Putnam as practice for his first WERA weekend (it was the first time he'd ever ridden a street bike) and then the next weekend he took racing school at Nashville SS and completed his mock race on it. I loved that bike but had to sell it when he came back from a ride and announced how easy it was to do 150 on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Gonna date myself here. I remember the ads in the dirty bike mags where Suzuki was blowing out RMs, PEs and the rest. Always wanted an RM but always came home with some other brand, used. :(

turner38 likes this.
  20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

We sold the last of the 18" FZR radials around 1996 or 97. I tried to keep the tire in our range but there wasn't enough demand (even worldwide) to warrant a production run. So you were running Pir-stones then, and it was for sure a vendor decision.