Are the 2 600 Riders ok?

Discussion in 'General' started by SV81, May 24, 2004.

1. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

Talkin about I think bikes 81 and 89. Someone stalled on the grid and the bike was slammed from the rear. It was pretty scary to watch and I hope the two riders involved are doing well.

2. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Yes, they are fine. One guy was transported that had to get stitches in his knee and he has some numbness/tingling from landing on his tail bone.

3. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

Great to hear Paige!:beer:

4. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Yeah, I am glad I didn't see it.

5. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

what about the guy who went down on the back straight and his bike ended up just infront of the bridge?

6. Eddie845

Eddie845 E-LO FRM THE BLOCK

I also heard about a guys that was trying to cross the track and got hit, this was down in the last turn.

7. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

Jeff. If that was the 600RR I heard he walked into medical on his own power. I saw the bike at tech and it seemed pretty waffled. Hope what I heard was true.

8. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

I was the first cornerdude to get to him...his hand looked pretty screwed..but he was coherent...his bike was another story :(

9. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

Yellow 600RR? That is the one I saw at Tech. Kinda burnt on one side. Wish I woulda known you were corner workin..woulda waved to the infamous Greenie :D

10. mykb13

mykb13 Member

Since I don't think there were too many mangled hand burning 600RR riders at VIR last weekend, this must be me:)

First of all, thanks to everyone who helped me...cornerworkers, EMTs, nurses, officials, riders, etc. I'm completely in your debt for taking such good care of me!

It's funny that I was described as coherent and I walked to the ambulance, because I really don't remember anything until I was in the ambulance going to the hospital. I can tell you a few things:
    I think the main cause was my steering damper not being set firm enough. In the transition from the 2 right turns to the left turn, I think the front end came off the ground and when it made contact again, a massive tank slapper started. The last thing I remember was being out of control and seeing the guardrail coming right at me.

I thought my damper might have been a little too tight causing my steering to be a little slow...so just before the race I took 2 clicks out of my damper...ooops

My left hand has 2 broken bones (leading to the little finger and ring finger) and my 2nd digit of my middle finger is shattered. My hand is black and blue and about 3 times as thick as normal (it actually looks fake). My orthopedic surgeon is going to wait about 1.5 weeks for some of the wounds to heal and swelling to go down before we put a couple of plates/pins in to fix my hand. I also have a torn MCL in my right knee, although I didn't even notice the pain until the trip home. Other than that just some bumps and bruises :) I think I hit the guardrail because I had green paint on the right side of my helmet, right boot and right knee.

My bike is pretty much toast. The frame looks like someone punched a hole in it, the engine case covers ripped out the engine case mounting points, the rear wheel is flat and every piece of body work is pretty much destroyed (or burnt) My transponder was still working though :)

Since I don't remember the crash, I'd really appreciate video/pictures/description of the incident if anybody was there!

Did I cause anyone else to wreck?
    Where did I end of stopping?
    Where did my bike stop?
    Was I thrown from my bike before it crashed?
    Did my bike crash and slide to the guardrail or run into it?
    Anyone see it?

Thanks,
    Mike

11. steven_george88

steven_george88 Well-Known Member

He's also alright, just a sprained ankle.

12. mykb13

mykb13 Member

AsGrnAsTheyCome,
    I wish I remember you so I could thank you in person the next time I see you, but if you recognize me say hi.

And thank you very much!:clap:

13. Limey

Limey Well-Known Member

MYKB;

I was leaving for the day and stopped with Fiancee and friends to watch from the bridge bleachers.
    I did not see the actual crash, i looked around and saw your bike 20 feet in the air, upside down, and it appeared to be on fire.

You did not cause anyone else to crash, a couple of guys behind you did a great job avoiding your bike which came down and slid along the track to just before the bridge.

We were all so relieved to see you get up and walk to the ambulance. we were all really worried as you did not appear to start moving for some time.

There was a girl with either a video or camera who was taking pictures or taping. I think your crash freaked her out as she ran across the road away from the track before your bike had come to a standstill. I dont know who she was im afraid.
    As i said, im glad your Ok

cheers

dave terry

14. jg54

jg54 Well-Known Member

glad your OK man. That sounds like it could have been alot worse.

15. crystalkd

crystalkd Member

I was working that corner and in my 3 years as a corner worker that was the worst that I've wittnessed. He did get up and walk to the med unit. I was surprised at that. I'm not sure if he hit the rail or the fence but which ever it was he hit it hard. I was very relived to see him get up!!!

16. crystalkd

crystalkd Member

Did I cause anyone else to wreck?
    Where did I end of stopping?
    Where did my bike stop?
    Was I thrown from my bike before it crashed?
    Did my bike crash and slide to the guardrail or run into it?
    Anyone see it?

Mike,
    I was working turn six and saw the whole thing happen. I'm really glad you're pretty much alright. You gave me quite a scare.
    You didn't cause anyone else to crash although a few were most likely checking thier leathers afterward. You seemed to lose control and put your feet out to balance yourself. I'm not sure what you hit because of the loud od dust but you either hit the rail or the fence. Your bike went up in the air hit the fence and burst into flames once it hit the ground. You ended up on the track side of the guard rail.
    Once agian man I'm really glad that you're okay!
    Your More than Welcome,
    Crystal

17. jlawrider

jlawrider Well-Known Member

Hey ya'll. Pilot #89 checking in to let you know about the landing status from Saturday's third restart of the C SS race. I hit a stalled rider and went for a flight over the handle bars, including a cartwheel (rated a 9 out of 10 by my friend) over my bike. I was transported to Danville Hospital on a stretcher board due to possible spinal injuries. Danville did not have a working MRI available so I was transported to the University of North Carolina Hospital to have the MRI taken there. About 2 a.m. I finally got the stretcher board removed when the MRI came back negative and no broken bones (surprisingly). I have stitches in my left knee and shin and a very sore ankle strain. Things are getting better, drugs are helping with the pain, and the SV 650 is on the mind because the GSXR600 is pretty much totaled. Thanks for everyone's concern and hopefully it will be a safe rest of the season for everyone. Hope to see people at Ohio tracks next year if not before.:D

18. Eck

Eck Older, wiser, but still addicted to roadracing

Glad to hear you're OK Jason. I had no idea what happened until I saw your bike at tech. Then I couldn't find you to see what happened, but luckily I got filled in on the whole thing not too much later.

If you are doing any better than your bike is, then I think you're in good shape. It was a bitch to get back in the trailer (although all I could really do was watch the rest of the crew load it up).

Keep us posted on your recovery and I'm sure we all look forward to seeing you out soon!

--Eck

19. rwball111

rwball111 Well-Known Member

Jason

Glad to hear your ok!
    Give me a call again, I cant find your number.

Randy

20. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Jason -

Glad to hear you re doing alright... Had I known you were going to come back I would have loaned you the bubblebutt 6 that was hanging out in the garage but she just got signed over to another racer.

Let me know how things are going and BTW - Anytime youwanto to come play in the twins, just come one over to the flip side boy. There's plenty of room..

Ben