1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any ktm 690smc-r owners?

Discussion in 'General' started by turbulence, Apr 23, 2020.

1. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

i’ve always wanted one of these. i’ve had a handful of supermotos over the years, a few hypermotards (still have one) and pretty much like all my bikes with handlebars. local dealer has one that i’m thinking about biting on... i know they’re largely unchanged since they came out, even though the 2019’s have a couple of improvements. oddly enough i like the looks of the ktm over the husky 701.

pros, cons? experiences? pics?

2. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Yep the 2019's are sharp bikes. I have seen them in person on the road.

turbulence likes this.
  3. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

My Son has one here in Canada. I've ridden it a few times. It's a licence removing machine. Wheelies in the first 4 gears if you even think about it slightly. Tops out at about 200kph indicated. Autoblip and ABS has a Supemoto mode and the ABS and traction control can be turned off for even more tire shredding fun.

Cons
    Bolts like to vibrate loose
    2X4 Seat is only good for a couple of hundred KMS but by then you need fuel anyway.

turbulence likes this.
  4. turbulence

is the autoblip standard or do you need the dongle?

5. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

My brother has one with the airbox mod, tune, full exhaust and re geared. Holy shit is it fun. 3rd gear power wheelies for days and from 0-80 or so its actually pretty quick. Handles great too. I was giving him used dot take offs for a while and the 180 Pirelli rear looks bad ass on it. No rubbing either. You may lose your license on it but its worth it. Only problems he's had are the display being a piece of crap and a counter shaft seal leak (which i believe was his fault due to some incorrectly installed aftermarket parts). I think he bought it in 2009.

turbulence likes this.
  6. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

Autoblip is standard on the 2019. The dongle lets you adjust a few other things. My son doesn't have the dongle.

turbulence likes this.
  7. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Alot of aftermarket seats for the KTM'S. Seat concepts is what I use. Have 3 of them on 3 different bikes right now. Can ride all day on it with no issues.

RRP and Britt like this.
  8. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Yes, do it! You will not regret it. I have had two 690's - 2008 690 SMC and 2016 690 Enduro R that I converted to a SM. I have bought and sold a lot of bikes over the years and to be honest, the 690 is the one bike that I have regretted selling twice now.

The ONLY reason I sold my 2016 is because I got a lot more focused on track riding and wanted a track bike. I couldn't afford to have both at the time, so it had to go.

Fast forward to now...I am looking to get another 690 or 701 SM for my street bike. The fun factor on that bike is hard to beat. I had my 690 sitting in the garage next to my 1290 SDR and more often than not, took the 690 out.

I had zero issues with either of my 690's and do agree that they look nicer than the 701's :)

Best of luck and enjoy!

Here is a link to my 690 when I was selling it on here: http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/wts-wtt-2016-ktm-690-enduro-r-supermoto.346073/

turbulence likes this.
  9. turbulence

man, i'm getting lots of hits on bad fueling, dashes still fading, countershaft seals leaking oil and bolts that constantly fall out. i'm no stranger to high maintenance bikes, but sheesh, you'd think they'd have these problems sorted by now

10. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

I must’ve been lucky, as I didn’t have my of the above issues on either of my 690’s.

The 2016 didn’t have a ton of miles though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbulence likes this.
  11. G2G

G2G I feel the need

that was on the pre 2016 models

AC792 likes this.
  12. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

Are these bike fun for track days? CMP, Roebling, VIR tracks specifically? I am thinking about the new 890R, but I would only want to buy new if it was fun on the

13. turbulence

not from what I'm seeing.

oh, and fuel pumps deading themselves because it's too close to the exhaust.

on a side note, i met up with a buddy today who just picked up a husky 701.. i dug it!

[​IMG]

14. G2G

G2G I feel the need

have multiple friends with over 20k miles each on there newer 690's. not one issue.

turbulence likes this.