1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Took my CCW class last Thursday and applied online for it.
    I'm at work, just checked the site:
    It tells me it's in my mailbox, or on the way!
    Ruger LC9

rk97 and sbk1198 like this.
  2. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

If this is your use then there are a lot of options that will work. Vortex, Sig, Athlon is getting popular, lots more. Just look at their ratings. I'm a Leica fan, I've had a 1600B for years that is rock solid. The expensive ones have features that you probably won't use like ballistic calcs, weather conditions, etc.

3. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty darn good deal to me. I paid $400 for my Shield a few years ago, and that didn't include any ammo.

As for shooting it, it is not unpleasant at all. It's got a smidge more recoil than a full-size lump of steel, but it is nowhere near as bad as any .40 I've ever shot. It's also nice being able to get a good grip with it since I have small-child-sized hands.

4. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Lol closed on Mondays

5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Those Shield deals are really good for a CCW piece. Hard to beat for the price. I have a Shield .45 for when I'm wearing suits in an NPE.

6. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

So are the units around the $300 range accurate and clear enough? I'm looking at the Vortex Ranger line (1300 or 1800). Also looked at the equivalent from Bushnell. I keep reading reviews on all of those and there seem to always be a few that claim they're not accurate at all beyond like 400-500 yards despite being rated for way more, whereas others say they're the best bang for the buck. I just want something that's clear enough to be able to accurately range a white steel plates that are at like 20"x30" up to 1000 yards and also have bright enough LED's that are easy to read on a bright sunny day. I've never used a range finder personally so no experience with them. I can range with my Vortex scope but it requires a bit of math and knowing the exact dimensions of the target I'm looking at, so that's not a very quick and accurate way of doing it.

7. For sure. With the price gouging that some places are doing on ammo, that gun plus 2 boxes of ammo is a good deal.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Dunno if you guys know about the new Air Force survival rifle. It's a breakdown M4 style carbine dubbed the GAU-5a ASDW. The GAU designation is for Air Force specific special rifles. This particular one is Also being offered as a civilian version as well which didn't happen until recently with the original GAU from the 60's.

Given the current popularity of 60's style GAU clones I think one of the new folders is a solid investment. If I had the loot to spare I'd jump on it. It's produced by Midwest Industries, they make solid gear and have been around a good while. The Air Force only ordered a couple thousand of the legit rifles and we aren't ever getting our hands on those so the MW clone is the next best thing.

Coolest truck gun ever.
    [​IMG]

Photo likes this.
  9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

ok, you guys have talked me into it...they have a TS and NTS version- preference?

10. Tristan

Vance has the same package with the 2.0 for $379

11. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Bullets too???

12. Tristan

13. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Whichever you are used to now. I started shooting with 1911's, so I automatically sweep the safety on anything I pick up, even those that don't have them. If you have shot nothing but striker fired guns that don't have a manual safety, then I would probably get that version instead.

14. Tristan

I'm not used to anything... haven't shot a gun for probably 17 years. The safety on my GSG 1911 I just got seems really weird to me.

15. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

As with most things, go by the overall opinion on the reviews and disregard the outliers. I'll bet most of those saying they aren't accurate are doing it wrong. You have to hold them steady, I would bet most of the bad reviews are hamfisted monkeys that can't hold it steady on target at long range or are trying to range a non reflective surface at long range and don't understand the limits of the device. The more expensive ones can compensate for some of those things due to a better/stronger beam, such as ranging a non-reflective target. But if you are ranging steel you are not pushing the limits of the device.

sbk1198 likes this.
  16. Tristan

Ordered the Shield 9, went with the all bronze cerakote, cause......BLING
    Was surprised to see "in stock, which of our 3 locations would you like to pick it up and what day/time?" I'll be even more surprised if the process takes less than 2 hours. They're "closed to the public" and only allow order pickups with a reservation, but that damn parking lot was packed when we drove by a few days ago.

17. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Springfield must have been going after that Air Force contract. That's how a lot of these type things happen. Hence the flood of PDW type weapons in recent years when big army was looking for one. Contract won by B&T.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  19. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

The Shield is an awesome gun. It is amazing how it shoots like a much larger gun (as in surprisingly low recoil and muzzle flip). 2.0 has grippier texture and better trigger than OG Shield. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the original model, but if you ever decide to do the Apex trigger and action kit it makes a great gun even more outstanding. Def recommend the Shield over anything else in that category such as a G43, however I haven’t gotten a P365 yet.

20. ljuice26

ljuice26 Well-Known Member

Bought this today. Range toy, but love the integrated suppressor. Being transferred to the FFL and then ATF jail for the next 3-6 months.

Attached Files:

• M9.jpg
      M9.jpg
      File size:
      62.8 KB
      Views: