1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gen 5 ZX10 Engine Problems

Discussion in 'Tech' started by wheelz96, Apr 21, 2020.

1. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

Hey folks. I have been pulling my hair out over my bike the last year. Back story, I raced at Roebling last year and ended up exiting turn 1 at a very high speed and found out that before you go into the woods their is a sandpit. I ended up flipping when I hit sand but I was OK and bike was rideable.

It fired right up and I continued back onto track and right as I was going to enter pit road I heard a loud grinding noise and bike shut off. It has not started since.

Now life happens and just recently I am getting her ready for this years season (if we have one) and I ended up replacing my battery, solenoid, and starter as it wont turn over. Last night I tried to spin crank by hand and it is seized. My fear is that it hydro locked due to flip and the cylinder is full of oil/fuel. Tonight I will be pulling the plugs and try to blow out anything I can.

Short of pulling motor and having it rebuilt, is there any chance my internals will be ok or should I start pricing engine rebuilds/replacements?

2. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Grinding noise and seized crank. I know you are probably hoping for the best, but that sentence should tell you everything you need to know. Sorry.

wheelz96 likes this.
  3. wheelz96

I am trying to be optimistic as it's hard to believe a 2018 engine with less than 5,000 miles would detonate due to a minor wreck that allowed me to keep racing. Shit happens and this now gives me a reason to get a superbike build! Wife is not as excited...

I am in GA/SC area and I know KWS is not too far but can anyone recommend other localish engine builders near me?

4. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

have you pulled the air box? If you flipped it in a sandpit then you pretty much shoveled sand into the airbox. might have been salvageable had you not started it up. 99% you have spare side covers and maybe a clutch and trany now.

sanee and Bruce like this.
  5. wheelz96

I pulled air box and I don't see any sand/debris in throttle body. Everything looks really clean including my air filter. However, I fear you are correct and I have a big paper weight. Talking with Mike from KWS sounds like if I'm lucky I can rebuild it for around $3-4K. I am gonna pull out engine and have him tear it down and just see what I'm working with and make a decision from there. Anyone here selling a gen 5 engine?

6. wheelz96

Ill drop oil tonight and check for gold flakes in case I spun a bearing.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Crash and flip starved the crank bearings of oil. Happens fairly frequently. Doesn’t matter if the engine is new or old.

8. wheelz96

Its heart braking to say the least. Oh well, live and learn. I bought another engine yesterday. As another member said, I now have spare engine cases and a reminder in the garage..

9. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

OP you can also send your engine to RM racing above if youre in the atlanta area

wheelz96 likes this.
  10. wheelz96

Yea Im in between RM and KWS. I'll have a new engine Monday but I would like to get this one sorted and all engine builders are swamped right now. Thanks for the reply!

sanee likes this.