1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F*ck Epson

Discussion in 'General' started by zx6rfool, Apr 16, 2020.

1. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

My old Epson quit because the "maintenance tank" was full (where it supposedly dumps ink during head cleaning, etc.). I always used refillable aftermarket cartridges, refused to pay the Epson price for ink. Found a hack on the internet to reflash it and fix it, but relegated it to use as a fax machine in the basement. Bought a new Epson Ecotank which has a replaceable maintenance tank and refillable ink tanks. After two years, just refilled the tanks, still working fine. I also have set it so it doesn't do updates, just in case.

You might check around the internet, see if there is a hack to fix the issue of "Epson only" ink or maybe the previous firmware version.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We've gone to Brother printer/copiers for the field and the office, they just keep working even traveling in the backs for trucks and trailers. I've got an HP color laser at the office that has finally gotten worn out and once I run through the toner we have for it I'll probably go to a brother for that as well. Only issue I've had with the brothers is the normal toner out or drum dead messages long before they're really done but you can find the reset instructions online easily and actually get full use of the stuff.

3. One2

One2 Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure I saw a way around the block with the Epson printers.

4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I have a b/w brothers combo unit that takes the $80 toner cartridge. The thing locked up when the toner got low. Funny thing is it was still printing perfect. Could not reset it........just kept flashing replace toner.

I got on the phone with CS. They said it couldn't be reset and to replace the toner. After fighting with them I got them to reset it. Ran for 3 more months printing tons of stuff including lots of temp tags before I had to change it.

If you ever wondered how they can sell an all in one so cheap, there's your answer.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Like I said, hit the googles, the Brothers are easy to reset.

6. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Try this.
    https://www.microsquads.com/make-an-epson-printer-recognize-clone-cartridges/

HP did the same thing a few years ago and got sued.

My last Epson was a 1440. Also was my last one I'll ever buy from them. The 1440 went through ink like an alcoholic through beer. Went back to my older Epson color printer then switched over to Canon printers. The freaking $150 Canon printer does a better job than the overpriced 1440 did and doesn't suck ink.

7. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

SO, as much help as your sas has provided, what should I buy next?

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Ink cartridges. :Poke:

9. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

I just put shit in a email and go to library and print it from there

10. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Just get Ditto machine and be done with it!

[​IMG]

I swear I'll pistol whip the first clown who asks "What is a Ditto machine"! :mad:

:D

TurboBlew and Fencer like this.
  11. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

WTF is that?

12. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Shennanigans?

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

At least you could have used an A B Dick image.

14. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

SO unless things have changed and I don't know they have..

Pay now or later.
    Inkjet is the later as in INK and printheads. Every inkjet I know of will clog if you don't frequently print color pages.
    The head has holes like a open paint can, the holes end up with the ink clogging up and then you HOPE the cleaning will work.
    A while back you could get a new printer with cartridges cheaper than replacement cartridges so people just replaced them. Everyone started selling new printers with half filled cartridges.
    Laserjet is pay now and save later. Having said that I only have a black and white laser, go to Kinko's or the UPS store for the twice a year I need color.
    If you look at most color laserjets it can cost $400 to $1,200 for Yellow, Cyan, Magenta and Black. Not to mention most color printers also have consumables like fuser, belt feed and rollers that have to also be replace that can be another $400 to $1,200.

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Ah, the smell of fresh mimeograph copies.

Banditracer and Boman Forklift like this.
  16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I actually didn't know what they looked like. I just remember in grade school getting a quiz, and as they were passed out, almost all of us would take a nice long smell.

tl1098 and beac83 like this.
  17. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Earlier, I had thought about linking a clip from the movie "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" where everyone in the classroom does exactly that, but then realized a hit from the ban hammer wasn't worth it.

18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

IIRC, the copies were also warm when they came out of the machine.

19. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

animated GIFs aren't ban-able... just saying :D

20. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Interesting smell also.. Sniff 500 copies fresh off the machine and got a buzz with a immediate headache afterwards.. Don't ask how I know.