1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Two different points of impact. Just depends how picky you are I guess. Like you said the farther out the bigger the difference. But it should remain consistent ie it will be the same shift every time.

sbk1198 likes this.
  3. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Taking the same can off and on should have a consistent change of POI. I say should only because I don't know about every suppressor, but all of mine are consistent. Right now I have a 9" home made suppressor that shoots 3 Moa high every time vs without the suppressor attached. I have the gun zero'd without the suppressor, so when I put the suppressor on, all I do is turn the dials up 3 Moa and now I'm zero'd again.

TBAC I think claims there is no to minimal impact on POI which I can confirm for my CB model( the one that uses $125 muzzle brake or flash hider). I can shoot with the suppressor on or off and I don't touch the scope. I can let you know in however many months if the direct thread ultra 7 is the same, but I think it'll be similar to my other direct threaded suppressors. Once the ultra 7 goes on though, I'm not taking it off.

Search the interwebs and see if people are having POI shifts with the direct thread model. If they are it'll either be a couple inches up or down and you can zero your gun accordingly. I suggest getting a direct thread suppressor first. You don't have to deal with buying extra mounts or design changes and the manufacturer stopping production on the mounts. I thought this was a dumb thing and would never happen, but I have a surefire suppressor in the safe that I only have one mount for and they no longer produce the mount. If I ever lose that, I'm SOL unless I find another or maybe surefire has some in a back warehouse.

I recommend the TBAC ultra 7 as the top of the line but also have first hand experience with the dead air sandman TI which is about $300 cheaper and honestly you won't really be able to tell much of a difference. I'm just stickler for a couple ounces even though when I'm actually using the gun I don't notice. If I could go back and do it over again, I would buy an Ultra 7 direct thread and an ultra 7 CB model. The Direct thread would stay on a bolt gun and the CB model with move around on AR's . I need to look at my paperwork but it's getting close to the day since I bought my first suppressor 10 years ago.

sbk1198 likes this.
  4. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Wow, 3 MOA is a lot more than I would've guessed. But thanks for the info, I'll probably end up going with an Ultra 7 as well. Do you know how much of a difference it would make to use one that's made for 6.5 mm on an AR15 rather than using a suppressor specifically made for 5.56 caliber? How much difference to sound suppression will that 1 mm make?

5. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Ok, I’m off today but I’m too lazy to search here. Holographic sights, who has the hands on experience?

I’ve used red dots on 1911’s, glock’s and a AR pistol, all very effective, my only struggle was at the longer ranges (including using a 3x magnifier) and that was directly related to my astigmatism, from what I’ve read holographic sights are the way to go for that. What say you beeb?

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I have a Vortex red dot and an Eotech XPS. I prefer the Eotech. Easier to pick up and the 1 moa center dot is finer.

And you can range with the reticle.

[​IMG]

7. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Try one first, they look fuzzy to me. I like red dots better, even with astigmatism.

8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I have a 556 specific suppressor and need to get an adapter to put a 30 cal on my ar 15 and could test it but from what I read, the difference is not worth it unless you are planning on getting multiple suppressors. Even then, I personally won't get another suppressor that can't shoot as many calibers as possible. I think getting the 556 suppressor was a mistake but it was the first one I ever got and back then I didn't know shit and didn't ask the right questions. It's been couple years since I've used my 556 suppressor. I rarely shoot my 556 ar and mostly use a 6.8 which I have my TBAC cb7 on. (30 cal)

sbk1198 likes this.
  9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Planned on going to the farm with the dudes but once again, can't get enough ammo cheap to make it worth while.

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

True they do look fuzzy if you use it wrong. It's a training issue.

Red dot- You focus on the dot and put it on the target.

Iron sights- You focus on the sights and put them on the target.

Holographic sight- You focus on the target and overlay the holograph.

I've taught several first time shooters and they all pick it up instantly. Look at the target, put the dot on it. I have horrible eyesight and the reticle is razor sharp used correctly.

scottn and sbk1198 like this.
  11. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Can you post a sight picture of a holographic sight? I’m getting deep in the this long gun stuff.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

[​IMG]

13. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Thanks! When I was considering optics for some reason it didn’t appeal to me for what I wanted to do.
    I may have to revisit them in the future.

14. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

correct me if i'm wrong but the only true holographic sight on the market is the EoTech. They use a laser to project the reticle on the glass vs having an LED "reflection" in simple terms for almost every reflex sight on the market.

Hence why the battery life of the EoTech is short compared to all the LED reflex sights. the only other sight on the market that I know of thats Holographic is the Vortex Razor HD AMG UH-1?

15. lizard84

I believe you’re right, I was just looking for some hands on experience (thanks Toe) I’m also wondering about it’s compatibility with a Sig 3, 4 or 6x magnifier.

16. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I don’t like moving cans from one gun to the next. I put it on and leave it. Sight the gun in and forget it. I’ve had friends move them around and sooner or later it’s caused a problem from missing an animal to hitting the can. At one time I also thought that since I wasn’t going from gun to gun I didn’t need flash hider/quick attachments but now I think because you can lock tight the hider and then use what ever type of lock that is part of that system is way better.

17. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Hello all, I remember posting about getting a pistol/handgun, my CCW, etc.

Well, finances improved, and I now have a new to me, handgun.
    I also already took my CCW class, and waiting on the card they mail when I apply online- upload my certificate, etc. The website give me a temporary CCW # while it's processing.

A friend with large arsenal, sold me his Ruger LC9! Like new- he bought it new. $200 cash.
    I know, the Cons to this gun-
    the long trigger pull, and the higher pressure to get it to fire, and the long recoil of the trigger.

I also know there are trigger spring rebuild kits to improve it.
    This gun was not for target competitions. It was for the once in a million times I'd need it to protect me or my family/friends.
    The Pros are-
    Perfect, lightweight, compact gun w/ 9mm rounds! It's single stack, under an inch wide!

Dry firing many times doesn't seem so bad either.

The indoor ranges are closed right now- not here to discuss that issue.
    After I go thru a few hundred rounds- then I might consider the trigger spring upgrade.
    Thoughts anyone? Please don't tell me how there are better purchases, - there always are, in anything in life really.

18. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Check out USCCA! If you CCW, you want them to have your back!

K51000 likes this.
  19. :stupid:

Plus once you get your membership, you can access a lot of good videos and shit if you’ve got time to kill.

K51000 likes this.
  20. lizard84

https://www.mcarbo.com/ruger-lc9-trigger-spring-kit.aspx

K51000 likes this.