1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Good for you. I got greedy and put in a limit order for a few cents under where it was and it just kept going up to about 1.5x what I could have got it for. Same deal with BA...

2. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

i sold all my BA last week when it hit $150. i bought late march when it was $98 and didnt feel like holding. Im still keeping tabs as i might go in again depending. I just sold all my ivr this morning also. made around 85% gains but got lucky and just wanted out as its super volatile. I sold half of it couple days ago when it was 22% gain.

i wish i read about bll few weeks ago as i would have picked up alot but im still keeping tracks on them.

3. Goldie

Goldie Well-Known Member

This market is crazy! Almost daily its been a huge jump in the morning then lose steam at the end of the day. I couldn't resist. Sold all my RCL stock today. Purchased at $25.85, sold for $43.07 .... YeeeeHaaaw. :beer: Hopefully it drops back down to $25 ish then I will load up again but probably keep it for the long haul. I didnt sell my CCL yet cause my cost basis is just a few dollars lower then what the current price is.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I wish all you f...ers would put the name of the compnay so I don't have to key in each CCL,BA,RCL symbol and figure out what the heck you are talking about. I'm the idiot that lost a lot of money before and didn't pull the trigger now on money I rolled back into my IRA. Sitting in cash now and thought about pulling the trigger on the 31st when I put it back in, but haven't.

5. Went back in pretty big one last time and got out today. Even if I have to pay capital gains tax I’m up 104.6% assuming I’d have to pay max tax. I’m already maxed out on retirement stuff for the year so trying to find somewhere else to invest the money so I don’t have to pay the gains tax but even if I do I’m ok with that. I’ve never gambled this much liquid cash (basically half a year salary) all at once. Threw it when market dove first time, then principle out then repeated two other time and this time took it all out. Was a gutsy move and I’d be ok paying bills etc if it all went to hell but I’d take a beating on the other investments I’d have had to rely on. I’m hoping we never see the madness again but of all the shitty things happening at least I took some advantage of it. Well that and being able to spend some real quality time with the family which I haven’t been able to do much over last 5-6 years. About ready for a new piston on the dirt bike been riding so much with the 7 year old.
    Side note- my ktm 300-ish isn’t a whole lot of fun riding with him, even with a lot taller gearing. Any recommendations on a trail-ish bike? We only ride trails and I’ll keep the KTM for when I have my time on the trails. I was leaning toward maybe a cry 230 or something that the wife could possibly ride as well. Maybe get a crf 100 or 150 (need to make sure seat height is ok) for the daughter. Trying to stay away from atv’s but also probably get one of those used as well as it seems to be a better and better time to buy used ones as this goes on longer. Sucks people have to sell stuff but that’s not my problem and I’m not a lending institution. Ya that’s cold but true. Obviously if a friend was in that situation I’d have a different outlook and we would be having a different conversation.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Our investment manager is recommending ROKU and SBUX, Looking at assigning funds this afternoon. Anything else that would be recommended that doesn't need daily management but can be held for a few months?

And @Canadian Bacon the 230 series of bikes are good ideas for trail riding, pick your color (red, blue, and maybe yellow?). The older CRF series are different than the new series, so definitely compare the seat height to use. I don't know enough about the newer horizontal engine models, but the CRF150F isn't a bad bike for anyone between 5' 2" and a grown man; the extremes of that range will have limitations of course, but it's a good trail bike. But the 230's tend to be a little overweight, so take that into consideration if picking up the bikes is a concern.

7. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I think you are going to pay full blast income tax on those gains unless you know something I don’t.

I’m staying in for now. Hopefully there is more growth to come as we start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

but then if you knew what the company was it might color your judgement before doing any research...

9. Goldie

Goldie Well-Known Member

Probably around 24% we gonna have to pay for short term capital gains. All good because the profit taking was well worth it, well at least for me. Plenty meat left on the bone after I pay the man.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

More than doubling your money, that's fantastic....good on you!!!

If you are considering the CRF100 I would also look at the Yamaha TTR 125, great little bike and they even make an electric start version.

On another big bike note, I got to ride my buddies KTM350, 4 stroke, street legal enduro bike, and they are pretty spectacular. Went back and forth between it and a CRF250R and liked the KTM better. Probably would be a great replacement for the 300 and it is easy to put around on too.

11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

12. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

I feel you on this.

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

14. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Muther.....

2295!

This bitch is just getting warmed up. I could have bought a f'n beach house on < 1 month.

15. Goldie

Goldie Well-Known Member

Going back to 1,600 i hope. I missed the train. :(

16. Goldie

Goldie Well-Known Member

Another big dip is coming. Get your buying dollars ready... ;)

sanee likes this.
  17. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I've so given up on trying to figure this out. Bought back in around the 20's missed the 18's, thinking it would go lower. I'm 30 stock/ etfs, and ira, But holding cash but its such a crap shoot, I am learning don't fight the fed but its hard. Everybody in this Country sees how absolutely and how fucked the economy is, worldwide. I understand the market is different than the economy, clearly. But its just insane where the market is. And the new thing this weeks like the banks and now unemployment. Banks, oh, we only lost 40%, thought it would be more, awesome, stocks go up. Unemployment, only 5.2 this week, some people suggested 6 mil or more, so we are doing good, stocks go up. Or if they go down, hurry up and make a tweet, if that fails there is a trillion in the background. Money run out of loans today for small business, down a whole 100 pts. Sorry just venting, I'm actually up so I'm not bad about losing money. I used to respect Trump, didn't like him but respected him. It's not a free market when the big guys have been told there are no consquiences and we will bail you out at no costs. If my boss said that to me I would be sitting on a beach in Bali having a tan girl bringing me rum drinks on a tax payers tab. It was priced in!!!!!

18. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

The whole idea of this was the reason I left the us in 2005 is coming back. It was originally Bush claiming things and starting a war with no proof. Instead getting more lit up. Corporate guys are saying just wash it off as a passive year, for high school collage/ no sats which is fine by me, times have changed, make a kid actually have to prove themselves on and equal level, the new one is hedge funders looking for a govt. bailout

19. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

AMZN a new high today at 2454.

I called them and asked why the parts that I ordered were not arriving until 3 weeks +. After their lame ass excuses, I told them I wanted my prime $ back since they can't hold up their part of the deal. F'n assholes, shipping toilet paper and lettuce on 2 day delivery!!! Woohoo.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I have to confess that I'm a little impressed with Captain Morgan. I'm not sure how long he had been back from the previous ban but I wouldn't be totally shocked if the answer was measured in hours. :bow:

SteveThompson and jrsamples like this.