1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there an appliance tech in the house? - Dishwasher issue

Discussion in 'General' started by cpettit, Apr 14, 2020.

1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Woke up yesterday morning and the dw was still trying to run from the night before. Just sitting there humming so i opened it up and the bottom is full of water. Seems it is sensing a water level and trying to run the pump but it doesn't go down. Line is open to the sink drain and the screens inside the dw are clean enough. When the pump is trying to run i can see the surface of the water swirling around so i know it is rotating or at least moving water but just not out the hose. I can't think of what it could be besides a broken impeller or the pump discharge being plugged. Either way i think i have to tear into it to see. Its a Bosch unit, i assume you can buy parts for a dw like other appliances? Anybody every fixed and issue like this?

FML this is really going to cut into my busy afternoon of quarantine activities.

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

3. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I had a dishwasher in my last house I had to tear apart every few months and clean the discharge path. It was very sensitive to food particles blocking pump input. It'd do the same thing you're describing.

My current dishwasher is a similar model (both GE's), and I've tossed food through it for 5 years without a single issue. Now that I've posted this, I'll get the tools ready.

Sabre699 likes this.
  4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Google dishwasher won’t drain. Lots of YouTube and other various vids that may help.

Phl218 and cpettit like this.
  5. racerx43

racerx43 Well-Known Member

Mine did the same thing a month ago - Wife was about to order a new one - I found the TWO drain screens were plugged up with al kinds of food shit and tooth pick that lodged itself and made for a nice catch all....
    I clean those two out and ran an empty dishwasher with a “cleaning pod” and now it works. I googled my model and found a parts diagram that showed the dual strainers....

cpettit likes this.
  6. cpettit

Good info. Thanks.

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

My Bosch one has that a few months ago. Screens were clean, impeller was clean and spun freely...

Root cause were (granola?) particles in the hose joint towards the drain pipe.

since those could not have passed the screen in the dishwasher, I concluded it was from flushing the sink and they got flushed up in there and caused a blockage

cpettit and racerx43 like this.
  8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

It's really not that bad when they hum first thing in the morning.

Kinda nice when they're wet down below, too.

Edit: sorry..... Different model of dishwasher...

:D

Phl218 likes this.
  9. Was also wondering if this was a divorce thread in the making :)

Phl218 likes this.
  10. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

No kidding. I was going to suggest shaking her, but then read the post. :D (relax, it's a joke).

Our dishwasher (samsung) plugs up then floods the floor about once a year (it's about time again), and I have to take it all apart clean all the shit out, and dry out the flood sensor. It's a giant pain in the ass.

11. cpettit

Haha well you’re mostly right. I cook it and she cleans it up. She just can’t figure out how how to fix her own equipment! Same goes for the washer and dryer. I didn’t break that shit, why I gotta fix it?

12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I fuckin hate every dishwasher I ever owned.

I'd much rather put a towel on the counter, crack a beer, knock all the dishes out by hand, set out to dry and stack in cabinets in the morning.

They are the most useless appliance in the house next to a trash compactor.

If I ever build a house it will have a big ass sink and no dishwasher.

That being said, pre rinse and scrub all your shit and your washer will give you less problems.....OR just give it the extra 15 seconds and you're done.

Metalhead likes this.
  13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I've had a dishwasher everywhere I've lived since moving on my own in 85. I hate hand washing the few items that aren't dishwasher safe or are too big.

Watch my luck change after this statement, but I don't recall ever having one plug up? We always rinse off/scrub most everything we can before putting it in the dishwasher, so I suppose it is more a sterilizer? We have lived in this house since 96 and are on our 2nd dishwasher. The top rack is starting to rust out, so it will be replaced sometime in the next couple years, because Mama wants to remodel the kitchen again.

tony 340 likes this.
  14. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

IMG_6916.png

ChemGuy likes this.
  15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

I would rather spend the extra 5 minutes with a soapy sponge and be done. I have to hand wash my good knives and a few other things anyhow.

Dishwasher is essentially a half assed rinser/hi temp drier that jacks up my utilities, makes me buy overpriced pods, and breaks every 4 years.

16. Buy a good one.

OGs750 likes this.
  17. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Seriously jinxed myself. Not the dishwasher, but washing machine. Won't drain, smelled electrical smoke. Think there's another kids sock stuck in the pump (this would be the 3rd time). Haven't checked it yet, just walked away in anger before I caused more damage. lol. Getting pretty good at changing pumps out now though.

18. Phl218

Phl218 .

Have the kids hand wash their socks

19. cpettit

Sorry but my wife doesn't read the bbs. That i know of.

20. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Or put them in a mesh bag before putting them in the wash.