1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

The only gun I ever owned until now was a .25acp compact POS that I bought 20+ years ago. It might have 150 rounds thru it over 3-4 range visits. I've always wanted more, but I see them mostly as toys and other toys always got budget priority. Covidmageddon has the wife way more freaked out than me- her suggesting we get some kind of home defense weapon was enough excuse to buy now. From my limited experience it seems like there's plenty of good bargains out there, they just go fast.

2. Academy still doesn’t have any handgun ammo, I mean none...of any caliber. Shelves are completely empty.

My local Mahoneys store has some, but you can only buy 2 boxes at a time. They only have drive-up service, you can’t go in and look.

3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

If you can shoot a 1911 like John Wayne, it is capable of lifting people into the air and tossing them backwards. After careful analysis of some war movies, I think the trick is to whip the gun forward a bit as you pull the trigger. That should sling the bullet out of the barrel with enough extra velocity to achieve the desired effect.

Quicktoy, aaronson, Steeltoe and 2 others like this.
  4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I have a little stainless Bauer in .25 acp. I haven't put a box of ammo through it in total. It is not pleasant to shoot. In an emergency, it would probably be slightly preferable to throwing rocks.

5. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Where did you see those said good prices?

6. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I threw some business locally for the CZ and the 1911 was a gun broker transaction.

7. lizard84

They got this new fangled thingie called the interwebbs (or something like that) you should check it out, they sell guns there.:rock:

8. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Well, 1) I don't own any guns. 2) I'm not looking for any guns, and 3) I don't spend time on the internet looking for them! (boat accidents and such)

That said, it sure looks and sounds like things are being bought up. Especially ammo, which has been the main focus of this discussion for me. Find some Winchester Ranger 9mm 147gr for instance.

:beer:

9. lizard84

That easy, if I want to find 5000 rounds of various types of ammo I need only check around my place.:beer:

ClemsonsR6 and Newsshooter like this.
  10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

11. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Hey Gun nuts.....what is your thoughts on the Mini Draco from Century Arms? Local Gun Store/Range has been closed for the past 2 months for remodel and are having their Grand Re-opening tomorrow. Saw one of the MD's in a picture and it piqued my interest. Currently do NOT have an AK in the collection, so.....tell me the good/bad/ugly

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'm waiting for PSA to bring out their AK74.

Quicktoy likes this.
  13. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I would seriously consider the MP5 clone made by PSA, of its at the right price.

blkduc likes this.
  14. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

some day i'd like to have an AK just to learn how to shoot one. I took my bosses to the range to do some testing (they are a bit more abusive with regards to recoil compared to my AR) and took me a little while to figure out how to use the damn thing. Safety is like a huge arm, etc. :)

I don't get the whole stock up on ammo thing. It's like TP. If the grid went down or there's no water or something, sure it could get ugly but basically you are told to stay home, go out if you need to, and wait a few weeks. How hard can that be and it's not like the bad guys are wandering around the neighborhoods looking for empty houses. Well at least not where I am. Streets are full of neighbors and kids riding bikes and walking.

Friend was asking me if he should be some 223 steel case ammo for $500/k. I was like WTF are you crazy? NO. Wait till you see PMC 5.56 62gr brass case stuff close to $300 and buy some then.

I just need a case of CCI Quiet Semi Auto. Then I'll be good for a while. ok, maybe 2 cases.

15. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

Bigger round to the ak so ya get a bigger bang.

16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

All I can say is that they're just dumb fun. Ammo is stupid cheap and it will fire anything you put in it. I've owned mine for over 25 years and never had one FTF. And that's with kid's shooting magazine after magazine until the barrel damn near glowed red. Everybody needs one in their arsenal.

17. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

So what kind of money to get something semi decent?

18. rd400racer

Up until recently you could get a decent one for $500-$600. Not sure what they're going for in this market. A quick search on Armslist came up with a lot of $800-900 rifles that aren't worth that much.

19. How does it work buying a gun from out-of-state? It is easy to look up guns/places online, but then where do you go from there? It assume isn't like ordering a jug of protein powder where they can just ship it straight to you.

How does it work? Do they have to send it to a licensed dealer in my state, that way the local dealer can do the necessary background check?

20. rd400racer

Yep, find a local dealer you like and see what his transfer rate is for FFL. I've been quoted from $15-$30 per transaction. A lot of these out of state guys have a database already with dealers in them and you simply click your FFL. Pretty damn simple.

Newsshooter and speedluvn like this.