1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 PSA

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Very few I think. Very few.

2. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Considering Iowa has 50 people per square mile, sounds like social distancing is working there too.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Great, so you've had plenty of time to prepare an answer. I'm listening…

tony 340 and Gorilla George like this.
  4. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

No need to lock down a state that everyone flies over anyway. :D

MachineR1 likes this.
  5. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yep. Which is exactly why implementing a broad based approach that destroyed the economy and will carry far greater negative consequences, based on NYC or Italy etc, is rather foolish.
    Simply washing ones hands and not touching ones face while maintaining personal space greatly negates ones risk of contamination.

#Hundreds of lives saved.

galloway840 and baconologist like this.
  6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Very true. Except for the caucuses. But for sure, it’s pretty basic. :D

7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Don't know about y'all but I'm done with it. Life goes back to normal effective immediately. Sent the ol lady off to work this morning, and I gave my youngest child permission to take her new car to pick up her BFF to go shopping at Target. I went to Lowes and the grocery store this morning. My house will not be told what to do but by me. My people know to use simple common sense.

This shitstorm is over for us. We gonna be just fine.

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid: I help move three college kids out of three separate dorm rooms in three separate dorms two weeks ago @Iowa State. Been out and about as much as possible while implementing good practices etc. if I get it, I get it. If I get a cold, I get a cold. Same thing.

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

I’m off to the tire store to get a tire repaired then to Menards for some annuals and other various flowers to plant etc.

I’m saving my own life.
    AE4E6FB9-3795-4029-9BF7-CB7D63344CE7.jpeg B255F0AE-F518-4A81-A606-C6481F96727A.jpeg

10. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

North Dakota is on the upswing still, and our social distancing makes Iowa look like a NYC gay bath house in the 70's.

I think this is going to be quite the allegory for how our "nationalized" (re: I won't use Socialized to scare anyone off, but you get it) healthcare system is going to work in the future.

If we want any semblance of an economy based civilization, we are eventually gonna have to bite the bullet and let people die from stuff we have the technical capability to save them from. That will soon become policy, and not just for bugs.

11. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Covid 19 is exactly like hurricane season here in Florida. One side panics, hoards supplies and tries to convince others of the severity through fear (lately driven by the media). The other side blatantly opposes them. Then there is the group in the middle that just does their own thing in preparation if it does hit, weathers the storm and rebuilds whatever needs to be rebuilt.

Some of you people need to go through a natural disaster. :p

12. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

You might want to reread your link. That isn't what it means at all.

The 0.9% is the probability that an otherwise healthy person diagnosed with COVID will die of the illness. It clearly states in the original source (worldometers) that it does not represent the share of deaths by condition.

Your source just spun it to fit their agenda.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  13. grahamsn

grahamsn Well-Known Member

I, like most people, am VERY happy to see numbers trending lower than predicted. However, that article completely misinterprets the data in that chart. The author either has a problem with comprehension, or is intentionally spinning the data. Printed right at the top of the chart:

COVID-19 Fatality Rate by COMORBIDITY:
    *Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on pre-existing condition. The percentage shown below does NOT represent in any way the share of deaths by pre-existing condition. Rather, it represents, for a patient with a given pre-existing condition, the risk of dying if infected by COVID-19.

14. That’s what they all do. Hell, the people on here do the same shit.

Let’s say the CDC (or WHO, or Johns Hopkins) says this shit killed 1,000,000 people...

There will be people talking about how bad it is that 1mil people died and that number could have been improved with better reactions/measures.

Then some people will say “eh, fuck ‘em, those people were going to die anyway”.

Then some people will say “That’s bullshit. You can’t trust those numbers and your source sucks”.

Then some people will compare it on a bigger scale to diminish it, and say “it isn’t a big deal, there are 360mil people just in the US”.

-Some people are jaded because they have lost their jobs or are losing money because of the measures.
    -Some people are pissed because they have lost loved ones due to the virus and think more should have been done (or done sooner).
    -Some people are aggravated because they see what their doctor/nurse family members are going through trying to help fight it.
    -Some people just don’t give a shit either way and think it is all stupid.

Depending on which category you fall in, you can take ANY figure/report and twist it to suit your agenda/opinion.

That has what has been happening this entire thread.

MUFC1878, R1Racer99, Slider82 and 3 others like this.
  15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

except we dont have a real number on the number of cases and full ppmhx

16. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Was there an exclamation point or question mark in the headline?....

Always a sure sign of good reporting.

OGs750 likes this.
  17. For sure. But the thing is, a lot of people have too much time on their hands right now. :D

Drawing our own conclusions isn’t enough. Most people aren’t happy till others “see it their way” and want to argue their point. Or some people just want to argue to piss people off and pass the time.

Sure, everyone could just silently draw their own conclusions and go on about their business. But right now, there isn’t much business to go on about, so people come here to vent/push agendas/waste time.

...hence a 300 page circle jerk on this subject. :D

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well to be fair people have to do something after filling out their unemployment paperwork.

baconologist likes this.
  19. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Wuhan maybe? Didn't that scare everybody?
    Keep in mind it was also much worse that reported, according to local experts.

20. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

"I'd rather die living, than die hiding"

Metalhead

Circa 2020

G 97, Banditracer, MachineR1 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.