1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are planes so loud?

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

So, why are planes so loud? 'cause they kick ass and like most things that kick ass, they are loud! Motorhead, Motogp bikes, P51 Mustangs, Cam Am cars, Slayer, Fireworks, guns (suppressors are for Tactifools), Saturn V rockets. . . I could go on all day but you get the point. :D

scottn and Raceless man like this.
  2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

The Airman's barracks/dorm for my Unit in Osan was about a block away from the flight line back in 1996.
    The F-16's there do NOT fuck around when they take off. As soon as the wheels are no longer on the runway,
    they hit afterburners and basically go vertical. Fun as hell to watch, but not the greatest 0500 wake up every day
    for 364.5 fun filled days in 1996-1997.

boxcrash and Ducti89 like this.
  3. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Ooof. Well, youll never over sleep to miss work I guess.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Live adjacent to Marston Mat, laid out in a river bed, and listen to C-130’s flying in/out, day and night. Earplugs are essential.

5. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Others have mentioned the props make noise. Anything that pressurizes air (on one side of the prop) then has a low pressure area (on the leading side) and cuts through air it a high speed (tip speed) will send sound waves thru the air. Also for jets, turboprops and the like there are still blades inside or outside the engine. They all cause pressure pulses that make sound. There is a lot of engineering that goes into making them generate less sound waves but I bet older planes and less expensive stuff doesn't use the current research. Also the thrust from the blade is part of the trade offs. Even industrial blowers are using modeling. You may notice some blowers like on a dust collector are less noisy than others. As for piston engine planes are concerned, no mufflers on the low and fast show offs don't help either I'm sure.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  6. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

I was about to type the same thing. Assholes like that are also what close racetracks everywhere.

StaccatoFan and boxcrash like this.
  7. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

After AOC redesigns them they will be electric.

ducnut and StaccatoFan like this.
  8. I said I wasn’t 100% sure. If it wasn’t a mig or f14 I don’t know shit. Besides the f22/35 and warthog :1)

9. I’m one of those people intrigued by the why so I ask questions. I did my research out of curiosity and not bitching. I love the airport being there as I have permission from the airport authority to hunt coyotes on the property (obviously there are certain times, procedures to follow the day I’m going to hunt etc). I actually save them $ by not having to hire it out.

10. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

At least you’re not near an AMC (cargo) base. The C-5 is the noisiest piece of equipment built, ever. And it’s not the engines that are particularly loud, it’s the APU that will NOT STFU.

11. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

If you want loud then go stand next to a harrier taking off strait up instead of a normal roll out take off.

12. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

I thought I knew what loud aircraft were until I did flight test on F-35’s. In the hover pit it feels like your bones are rattling inside your body.

13. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I attended college very near the Lockheed plant in Cobb County where they were built. I loved seeing those things take off.

14. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

I think Osan has the thickest fog I’ve ever seen. Got lost on the ramp there one night in a 747.

15. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I know, it’s an honest mistake to make. Your friend got fly the Tomcat, and then 18s, that’s a pretty cool gig.

Gino230 likes this.
  16. His hanger set up, like a lit of folks is bad ass. He has a couple of his jackets a do other misc stuff in shadow box glass frames, lots or other cool but not tacky stuff. Very nice hanger and well set up, most of these guys use them as man caves more than anything.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Some Super Stallions (or whatever the squids call them) cam through yesterday and I think they are louder then the shit hooks.

I forgot how loud Ospreys were until this morning when a few came through. :crackup:

DmanSlam likes this.
  18. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

It’s called a whistling shit can for that very reason.

:D :D :D

Still, the Galaxy is louder.

19. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Most impressive & thunderous I’ve ever experienced was an F-35 at EAA last year. Was coming back up from a run to Milwaukee. Looked to be on approach for landing, then I noticed it’s gear raise and he just “whiskey turns” the damn thing right in front of the main crowd and unleashed the power. I just stood there in awe. Lost the video when I got my new phone. :(

20. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

It's like anything in aviation - it usually doesn't make money unless it's on a huge scale.