1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are planes so loud?

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Apr 9, 2020.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Dang. That little plane is much cheaper but only 6 on board? Oof.

My DZ has a twin otter and a caravan. You can pack a bunch of people on board and kick them out much higher, but they're stupid money. Give and take I guess.

ducnut likes this.
  2. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

As many of you are aware of generator noise levels, small aircraft are an easy comparison. They are aircooled and have a big loud fan bolted to the front. The exhaust noise is minimal compared to the sound of the prop. Adding a muffler to a cheap generator has very little effect on noise output. Most of their noise comes from the engine itself, which is why the quieter inverter type ones are sealed in a cabinet.

A turbo prop shows where the noise come very clearly, the engine exhaust makes very little noise, the intake makes a lot more and the prop likely makes 80% at high torque levels. The loudest noise from turbo props are the direct drive engines running in flat pitch while one the ground.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Because they're bad as F(*&* !

And non-pilots are panty wearing ghey boys.

:D

But actually the bulk of the noise is from the prop.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yeah I know right. In college i lived across the 5 on the side of the hill at the end of the runway where most jets departed from. When the powered up you couldnt talk on the phone or hear the TV if the back door was open. Although I wasnt there before the runway and jets the house was. It was pre-war built. And i mean WW1...

But the view over the harbor was sweet.

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

You’re lucky they are running Hindles and not D&Ds. :D

boxcrash, ducnut and NemesisR6 like this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I know right...why smite Lang? He makes a great product!!

G 97 likes this.
  7. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Years ago a couple times we would be number 10-15 inline to depart behind the concorde at Dulles . I could not believe how loud or how much the ground shock when they were on their takeoff roll.

8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

They run strait headers and the tips are breaking the sound barrier. They are also burning lead gas, because F you.

ChemGuy likes this.
  9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That’s real close. I bet you were pumped when the wind blew offshore and you only had to deal with landings...

there’s a pizza joint just off the 5 that displays flights on a giant flip board. That way you can drink there until your friends flight flies over and then head to the airport.

10. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

First house I bought back in 1978 was in Herndon, VA. Roughly 5 miles from Dulles Int Airport. The everyday commercial jets could be heard, but it was entirely okay. No big deal. But when the Concorde took off, it was awe-inspiring. At 5 miles away, the noise would shake the windows in my house. I kind of liked it!

11. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

It's talk like this that started the ball rolling in Englishtown, NJ. Used to be the site for the "Summer Nationals" drag racing events. Wednesday and Friday nights open to public for spectating and timed runs. Was great for years. Then talk started about the noise after they built a hundred homes around it. It's no more. Sadly.

12. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I need to go flying, looks like the clouds are breaking up for a decent afternoon flight :)

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Right...the race track went out into the middle of nowhere to make noise and everything was fine until the dumbasses moved towards it.

JBraun likes this.
  14. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I've wondered how Roebling is still open with all those houses surrounding it.

15. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I lived at the end of a runway while living on military bases and, again, in the civilian life near BWI. So, yes, whether it was our choice or not to live close to runways, the loud engines never get "old". :rolleyes:

I, once, worked for an aviation ground service company that had a fueling contract with the US Army to fuel helicopters from a nearby base. And, in those days, it was a week-long, 1-man assignment for "chopper duty" using a 10k gallon fuel truck: Chinooks, hueys, blackhawk and cobras.

Try pumping 300-1000+ gallons into 7-10 landed birds using just a pump nozzle (with no auto shutoff). It takes a while...and if they arrived during your break time, well, that was how you spent your break time. And that assignment was in addition to our regular ground services for the commercial airlines that we also served.

The Chinooks had single-point nozzles (which were easier on your hands) but not all had working single-point nozzles. So those thirsty birds took over 1000+ gallons. The older guys used to joke that was to deter us young guys from masturbating.

boxcrash likes this.
  16. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

LOL :)

17. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

That's why you have to like Bruton Smith.

My way or no speedway, Bruton Smith tells city officials
    https://www.modbee.com/sports/nascar-auto-racing/article3093779.html

418 likes this.
  18. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

F/14 jockey, Navy never flew 15s.

;)

19. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

OMG I remember that track from when I was a kid. Hadn't thought about it in years. Thanks for the flashback. That and Indy cars at Nazareth.

20. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Fixerated.