1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for parents of teenage athletes.

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

No, dude. D line is never going to happen at 400 pounds and slow. D line requires more speed and (arguably) technique than O line. Even that isn’t what it used to be. The game today is all about speed, size is secondary. I played in college and assistant coached a HS team. The game is a lot different than it was 20 years ago.

2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I dont think he can stay at 400 lbs and play anywhere. Too unhealthy and too big/slow. But you dont think if he was down to 320-330 and developed his strength, agility...that he could be a nose tackle (think Gilbert Brown) whose sole job is run defense at a small school?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    dtalbott likes this.
  3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

4. dtalbott

Joey will be a project, and require a coach with imaginatuon.

5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Not to be a downer, but Daniel Faalele was lifting weights, playing rugby and basketball for several years before he ever played football. He was an athlete that they just re-purposed to another sport.

6. dtalbott

I know. Just used him for the size sample. I know Joey would be much better off at 325 or so.

Also used him because the coach had the imagination to see potential.

7. One2

One2 Well-Known Member

A lot more D1 potential and overall skill level increase at 50 pounds lighter. He’s taller and bigger than the average D1 offensive lineman. A lot of potential is there. Even if he’s on the bench.

dtalbott likes this.
  8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

College coaches are under tremendous pressure to produce results. Potential doesn't get them there. If your kid is ready to seriously commit to the workload of a college athlete, get him in a camp at a well known program now. Give his future coach something to look at. My son is a D1 athlete. He has no time of his own.

dtalbott likes this.
  9. dtalbott

The reason I started this thread was more about the recruiting "services" than about Joey.

Things have changed with them.

They named the first ten or so colleges that supposedly requested Joey's info. Now it's, "a college from xyz conference has requested info. To find out which college, you need to upgrade from free to premium status."

10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

To the original question regarding recruiting sites;
    I am a high school track coach, so can't speak directly to football. I have had athletes receive multiple offers from the basic, free recruiting packages that these companies offer. Of course, in my sport, no film is needed. The stop watch does not lie. Have him go to the athletic website of any college that remotely interests him and fill out the online recruiting questionnaire. Follow that up with a personal email to the coach, outlining why their program would be a good fit for him, and what he would bring to the team. There are many more kids looking for roster spots than there are available positions. Be proactive.

dtalbott likes this.
  11. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Recruiting services are just that; services you pay for. In the last 10 years, the high school football program I'm closest to has sent D1 starters to Clemson and USC, D2 starters to James Madison and lots of others. None of them used a recruiting service. All were direct communication from the schools.

dtalbott likes this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

We were contacted back in January to have the kid apply to a prospect camp/ very intense prospect camp. Three days of 9 hours a day of a sport.
    "Yeah, whatever, every kid in the sport gets the same pitch."
    In that case, nope. She was recruited out of a tournament in Florida by a few college coaches and nominated. They then contacted her club, who contacted her coaches and they had to run it up the flag poll, blah blah blah. Had three days to submit an application, send in her school records, two letters of recommendation and game film.
    Replied politely that we couldn't get the stuff together in time, thank you for the interest and we'll keep you updated on how she does this season (oh, and here is a schedule of the tournaments she will be at this year if you want).
    Thought that was the end of it until she received an invitation for her to try out for a regional team that they will then cherry pick players from for two final teams to play. The game would be shown on TV and all that shit.
    Cool, whatever, here's the application for that and $120.

Why am I yapping about that shit? 'cause one thing they recommend is using one of those recruiting sites going forward if only to have a place where they can contact her 'cause they started trying to track her down for the prospect camp in December.

dtalbott likes this.
  13. Scotty87

Except that almost no one at the collegiate level runs a D with a true ‘nose guard’. It’s almost akin to a fullback nowadays. And, tackling requires arguably more skill than run blocking. If he could get down to 325-350, I could see a guard position.

I can’t tell you how many ‘huge’ kids I coached that would get their doors blown off by 100 pound lighter, faster, more aggressive kids. Biggest thing I wonder right now is if he is getting in a proper stance. That was consistently the biggest issue I faced when I coached, especially with the very big kids. A proper stance is uncomfortable for anyone, let alone a person carrying extra LBs.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    lopitt85 likes this.
  14. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Damn, I guess it has been 15-20 years since I last played. Time fucking flies doesn't it?

15. Scotty87

Like you wouldn’t believe, brother.

16. One2

One2 Well-Known Member

Kids are much stronger and faster these days. Even the linemen are fast.

17. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

I think my unsolicited advice would lean a little the other way.

Get him down to 270-280 lbs, help him live a long healthy life.
    Hit the books hard - a good degree from a good school will serve him well
    Let him play HS football his senior year and have fun with his friends.
    Being a college student-athlete is HARD, just focus on schoolwork.
    Support him in everything he does, as I’m sure you do.

Just my $0.02....

dtalbott likes this.
  18. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

My take, not having kids that have gone through this (they have my athletic ability they're not going anywhere), but have seen buddies gone through the "mill" with hockey and baseball. Sadly it all down down to money, How much money are you willing to pour into a program to see your kid rise to the top. For all these kids that "make it " there is 10 kids that have paid their way. In the end it really all come down to luck, money and connections. Colour me a skeptic, but the best thing you can do for your kid right now is get him down to a healthy weight were he might be able to compete, but also to a point where he will be healthy as he comes into his adult years. If he's not at the point where foosball is everything, then you need to consider the afterlife.....

dtalbott likes this.
  19. Major

Major Well-Known Member

I was a Head Football Coach for a school in upstate NY, in the early 90's I had a kid that was 6'7/280 as a 16 year old Junior. I received calls from a lot of major programs about him strictly based on his size. That is one thing that can't be "coached".

dtalbott likes this.
  20. One2

One2 Well-Known Member

Depends on the sport and possibly where you’re from. I’m from the SEC and there’s raw talent around here. Speed, strength, and just pure athleticism. No extra money needed.