1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone own new Aprilia RSV 1100?

Discussion in 'General' started by Gixxerguy855, Apr 6, 2020.

1. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

I was here, with the Streetfighter in the mix.

Was.

The current state of the economy has changed things, I’ll be waiting a bit.

2. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

haha, fair enough. I was mostly speaking to the well documented cylinder head issues they've had for years and the like. I've seen also seen a couple of issues of them not being assembled properly at the factory even. I feel the same way about them as I do about their SXV450/550; such an amazing idea/layout/package but just not executed as well as I'd like to actually trust it to not blow up.

3. nlzmo400r

stock for stock, I completely agree. However the Ducati's sound FANTASTIC with the Akrapovic exhaust, much for V4-ey. Maybe the collector is designed differently or something, but it's LOTS better.

You're welcome

nevermind the fact that it's like $5,000 for the system! yowza.

Steeltoe likes this.
  4. Every used bike I buy, even dirtbike, gets stripped to the frame, assembled carefully with probably more fastners loctited than needed, grease on electrical connectors where needed, usually a decent amount of strips of Velcro or zip ties around electrical wires that could be a bit more tidy than factory did it, almost always extra heat shielding, etc.

Newyork and Montoya like this.
  5. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Skip to 3:40 if you want to actually hear the bike.

I rode the Pani V4S when they first came out. It's a great bike, but didn't leave a lasting impression on me. It just didn't have any charisma. I guess it reminded me of my S1000RR too much.

Meanwhile, I test rode a 2016 Tuono 1100 Factory when they first came out and it has left a lasting impression that keeps tempting me to buy one...

I rode my buddy's Hypermotard 950SP the a couple weeks ago and it's been tempting me as well. :oops:

6. Tj Hunter

Tj Hunter Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA, have you owned both? I have owned personally 3 Aprilia that were ZERO issue bikes, and between my friends and I we have owned 8 or 9 and have had almost no issues (we did have an SXV 550...so that is the outlier, persay). I have now owned 3 Ducati's and they have been THE worst bikes I have owned. The best ironically was a Panigale R, the others were a Multistrada, that I had nothing but electical issue with and now I bought a 2019 Monster 1200 R and its been to the dealer more then the other 20+ bikes Ive owned...and its BRAND NEW! Also, resale value, GOOOOOOOOD luck, maybe if you dont ride them and wait about 10-15 years when they start to come back up you wont "lose that much" on it but Ducati owners are like Ferrari owner, the more you ride it and enjoy it the less appealing it is for resale. I would rethink your thoughts on Italian bikes as a whole but for sure betwee, Ducati and Aprilia.

7. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Mine has the Rotax twin, and they're pretty bulletproof. Now the rest of the bike? It's not the factory, so the suspension is terrible, as are the brakes. It's also got an issue with the fuel tank degrading over time, due to the alcohol in fuel these days. It's pretty comfy though, and you don't see them around. I always get asked what it is. It's also held it's resale value pretty well, though not like the factory versions. Would really like to compare one of those to mine.

8. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I've owned 4 Aprilia's and bought them from Xtreme. Seemed to me like they're better for the actual bike purchase while AF1 was better for parts ordering.

9. nlzmo400r

No, never owned both admittedly. Worked on many, so maybe I'm only seeing the ones that do fail, but I've seen a lot more Aprilia V4 big engine failures than Ducati stuff. And I saw atleast 4x the amount of Ducatis to Aprilias for general service and such, so I'd assume after 10years repairing them I had a decent look at what was on offer. I understand my sample size wasn't every single unit ever built, but I've seen enough to make me skeptical of Aprilia's V4 in general, as good as it is to ride.

And no used bikes have GOOD residual values, but that's all relative. Still, a used 1299 Panigale S are being sold for $15-18k depending on miles. A newer 2016/2017 RSV4 RF (which MSRP was a couple grand less) can be had for close to $11k.

10. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

I have had two with of my buddies have issues with the Aprilia V4s. Both were treating them like Jap sport bikes (Asian prostitutes), but nothing too untoward. After a couple of years of the usual thrashing both had them go into various levels of motor fuck. I see them as a bike like older Ducs that you need to over maintain if you use them hard.

Edit: But damn every time one passed me on the rear wheel the sound was pure sex and made me want it.

11. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Tuono, so I can sit on it and rev that motor....

Shocker likes this.
  12. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

My gen 2 Tuono with the rotax v twin is a blast and has been very reliable with the exception of the stator/regulator issue. Replaced both and it’s been rocking ever since. Some good pads and fluid fixed the brakes up and an exhaust with tune and open air box mod made it a beast. Also did -1+2 gearing. All day comfortable with hooliganism on demand!

The Ducatis I have owned were superbike a for the track so it’s not a fair comparison but I definitely love both!

Rdrace42 and Steeltoe like this.
  13. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

My '17 Tuono RR with 5k'ish miles will be up for sale before too long. Moved to CO and going track only. But we just bought our new house so getting it prepped for sale has been back burnered.

14. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I think that applies to most modern bikes, the electronics are so good that they just end up being too smooth nowadays.

I test rode all of the new (at the time) Ducati products when their roadshow came around, and I don't think I would've replaced my Streetfighter (1098) with anything, even for free.

15. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Factory or standard? I haven't messed with any mods on mine, though it came with an Akro that sounds sick. Changing gearing sounds like it might cost me my license, as I've already been asked to keep the front on the ground (nice cop). So I spent some time on the Aprilia forums, and there were plenty of mentions of changing the oil jet for the clutch, which was supposed to solve the notchy gearbox. Nope. So either I've got something else going on in there, or my toes are getting weak.

16. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Still blows my mind people buy things to sell them.

Still have my first vehicle from high school.
    Still have my first motorcycle.
    Just put a 08 gauge cluster on my 2015 CBR, I'm sure it killed a couple grand in value. Why would I care? Its for me not someone else.

dteal23, Steeltoe and scottn like this.
  17. nlzmo400r

Well you’re in the minority. Most
    People don’t keep anything forever. So why not
    Buy the thing that keep as much of their value as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbulence likes this.
  18. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

As far as resale value, there have been a number of statements made that there aren't bikes that hold their value. I bought my 2005 Tuono for $5500 about 5 years ago, and was just offered $5k for it. I've been looking for a clean RC8, which with reasonable miles are going for $10-12k, on a bike that is 7-9 years old, and went for $14k new. Look at the stupid prices people get for a clean ZRX. There are always exceptions.

19. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

This.....Got rid of the '13 RSV4 track bike, but took the Ohlins bits, the racefit exhaust, the sato rearsets, the forged wheels and more race parts, and let it go as a street bike.

I am eyeing an '18+ RR. Unless i can find a smoking deal on a Factory.

Love my '16 Tuono RR

Some place is selling the RSV4 1100 factory for $19k, new. I saw it on cycle trader i believe.
    Southeast cycles in Savannah maybe. I bought my Tuono from Xtreme (XPS) in Accident, Maryland. Helluva name of a city to buy a bike

rsv4 ncm9218.jpg tuono blue 7.JPG

turbulence, cpettit and Newyork like this.
  20. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

How was the process of buying from them? (I am assuming you had the bike shipped)