1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPEED TRACE FOR PITTRACE

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Atahan Koymen, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Atahan Koymen

Atahan Koymen Well-Known Member

I tried to attach a lap of mine from last summer at Pittrace on a track day without the chicane in the back. Unfortunately i was not successful. I am looking for tips for improvement. Does any body have any data from Pittrace to compare minimum speeds on each corners so that i can see where i am loosing the most time. I would love to see the speed graph of someone that has more experience than me, and make a comparison. You can email me a picture of it or post it here if you can figure out how.

For example
    Turn one minimum speed is 62. How bad is that?? what is a decent minimum speed through that corner.
    Last turn 41 mph. What should the minimum speed be at this important corner leading to the front straight.

I am riding a Kawasaki 636 on dunlop Q4 with stock suspension. I got the data above from aim dash.

I can send my data to whoever is interested as well. feel free to make fun of how slow i am, But i guess we have to start somewhere.

thanks

2. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Post up a youtube lap...most of us can dissect better from a video than being a data nerd

bacolmm likes this.
  3. Atahan Koymen

I dont have a video bud. I hear you though video explains visually my body position where I brake tip in and gas no doubt. I was just curious where I needed to be speed wise. It doesnt mean that I am gonna go try that speed first lap out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. 2MM

2MM Well-Known Member

Lots of youtube race videos from Pitt race. Start filming your laps/sessions this year and compare laps side by side like a split screen on your computer.

5. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

List out your min speed for each corner and then your overall lap time.

Atahan Koymen likes this.
  6. Atahan Koymen

Ok I managed to insert the whole speed trace. This was a 1.59.7 lap with bit of traffic at exit of turn 1 and back straight before the right hander kink.

Thank u[​IMG]

7. bacolmm

bacolmm Well-Known Member

Minimum speed might not be the best criteria to focus on. I compared data with a rider that was getting around much more quickly that I was and my overall minimum speed (and in more than just one corner) was higher than his. He was however getting too and from the slow point of the corner faster...

8. Atahan Koymen

So does it mean he was on the throttle earlier than you were although your min speed in that corner was higher than him. Basically you are saying higher minimum speed forced you to get on the throttle later which hurt your overall lap time??

bacolmm likes this.
  9. bacolmm

bacolmm Well-Known Member

Yes, that's correct. My explanation will just be me regurgitating Ken Hill’s Podcasts which I think are awesome (available on SoundCloud and YouTube). He’s able to get the bike slowed and pointed earlier and therefore able to start to accelerate earlier. Obviously you don’t want to over-slow your mid-corner speed, however at some point carrying more mid-corner speed will delay your ability to accelerate which will increase your lap times. IMO being able to see the entire speed trace like you posted would be a lot better that just static minimum speed figures…

10. Monsterdood

Your line through the corner and type of bike will for sure impact the min speed in each corner. But a general understanding of your min speed (or rather the maximum of your min speeds) will give you an idea of how much you have left to go. In my MA Twins race there with a best lap time of 1:59, I was at 63mph in turn 1, 51mph through thru 4, 48mph thru 5, 54mph in 12, and 40mph thru 17 (last-ish corner). Keep in mind I'm a mid-pack club racer and a back of the pack MA racer so my numbers are not great therefore they should be easy goals if you are going slower! Good luck.

11. Monsterdood

To that point, I have some data traces going into turn 1 at VIR where I took a traditional brake, turn, maintenance throttle to accelerating throttle approach and then another lap where I was trail braking to the apex (or when I was happy with my speed and direction - YCRS shout out) and I could see where I picked up 1/2 second through that one corner alone by trail braking to the apex. I might have even been 1-2 mph slower at the apex (e.g. the slowest part of my corner) but I was 1/2 second faster overall due to the tighter entrance line and carrying more speed all the way to the apex. It was really cool to compare those two traces.

bacolmm and Atahan Koymen like this.
  12. Atahan Koymen

Right now I can manage to do trail braking on certain corners. For some reason i cant do trail braking in all corners. For example turn 1 in pitt I dont trail brake. But last turn I do trail brake. During a lap probably 80 percent of the corners i shut off the the throttle brake and downshift tip the bike in at turn in point and still decelerate to the apex under engine braking then slowly i pick up the throttle as i start to straighten up the bike.

13. Monsterdood

If you haven’t yet, go take the Yamaha champions racing school. It will be eye opening on finding traction, Trail braking, and learning corners. And turn 1 has a high speed entrance and a short straight after so I think it odd more of a balanced corner. You have to figure if a corner is an entrance corner or an exit corner to help identify how far you Trail in. Go talk to the experts though! :flag:

bacolmm and Atahan Koymen like this.
  14. Atahan Koymen

Yes I need to soon. Earlier the better. Before I develop bad habits.

What about turn 12. (Right hander bottom of the hill) I do trail brake there very easily for some reason. Is that a turn beneficial to trail brake.

Thanks

15. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

For me, definitely. It's one of the more pronounced trail corners on the track.

16. khill

khill Well-Known Member

A few thoughts:

1) Your reference lap is just that, a reference. We need it compared to a known good reference lap.
    2) Min speed isn't this issue - it's where the min speed is, is the issue and for how long.
    3) All turns that require brakes are trail-braking corners, it's knowing where the brake release point is that matters.
    4) I have data from our team from the last few years from that track.

Ken

bacolmm, chrisplm and Atahan Koymen like this.
  17. Atahan Koymen

Regarding issue #3 if I catch myself brake and downshift and tip the bike in and still let the bike decelerate under engine braking towards the apex(as I am loosing speed and my radius tightening towards the apex) under zero throttle (coasting) at a decent amount of lean, does it indicate that I should have broke deeper and carry brakes even after the tip in a trailing fashion towards the apex?? I do that in turn 5. I broke and downshift for turn 5(uphill right hander) on a straight line and tip the bike in and let it loose its speed going up the hill with zero throttle. My speed reduces radius tightens and I start straightening the bike and as I do that I open the throttle.

Thanks

18. khill

khill Well-Known Member

I suggest you listen to my podcasts..lots of great info where all of this is covered in many different ways.

Ken

http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/new-pod-cast-from-ken-hill.328579/

19. mdhokie

mdhokie Well-Known Member

pitt_204.png
    Slower than you (2.04.594). This is my one and only weekend at that track (excuses for being slow intermediate rider) so you probably won't learn much, but I'm happy to share data. Maybe I did one section better! I would be happy to exchange the raw data files from aim solo via e-mail if you want to send me a PM.

20. Atahan Koymen

Ken, thank you for your time and going through my data i posted. It was an eye opening experience on importance of bike positioning and braking techniques to bring the bike to that crucial exit position. I cant wait to start applying these techniques and see the impact on my lap times. Every session i had a plan of my own. I always say a bad plan is better than no plan when you go out there. BUT NOW I KNOW HAVE A GOOD PLAN!! We keep in touch!!

Monsterdood, bacolmm and khill like this.