1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moto2 race bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Meh F1 doesn't use Traction control why does MotoGP? SO do the big boys use GPS with the traction control? I heard the bike knows every corner.

2. I haven’t looked for 20 but at one point it was sector based and not corner based.

3. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i may not be understanding your question... but i'm saying a moto2 bike isn't the ideal weapon for club racing.. for pretty much any of us. I can probably count on 1 or maybe 2 hands, the guys that regularly club race ccs/wera, that would possibly benefit from racing a moto 2 bike. Yes, i think 98% of us are better off with a production bike, then outfitting it for racing. Could you imagine crashing one, and having to source some of the special parts ? yikes.
    Not just the difficulty on getting parts, or cost, but as i stated earlier, the chassie is very stiff. Also, the honda motor was not that fast (compared to say a mild superbike R6 build or really well sorted supersport class motor) and were designed to go a long time, being ridden by some of the best riders in the world.
    A really well sorted R6 motor, on mr12 makes similar power if not more. the Triumph motor is a different animal and obviously has bit more power. But if power were everything, all the club racers on 1000's would turn faster laps that us 600 riders :)
    Clearly i have never ridden one, but have a close friend in Robertino Pietri who has raced moto2, and who helps run a team in moto2 currently, and based on my conversations with Simone Corsi after getting to meet him this past october (we were sort of team-mates for the weekend )

knedragon29 and Newsshooter like this.
  5. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

An..I thought you were talking from a competitive standpoint. I wasn't talking about the difficulties of owning or racing one.

6. MELK-MAN

i'm not certain it would be at all more competitive than a decent production based bike, with typical upgrades.. not at the club level, with 95% of the riders today making up the ccs/wera grids. We'd most likely go slower on it. for reasons I outlined earlier. Namely, how rigid the chassie is. And the fact the motor in moto2 trim, isn't any faster than many bikes on the club grids today (former honda spec motor that is)

7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

It use to during the 800s I believe. Now that's banned.

8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

He did good on 2 smokes back in day.

9. chickenpants

chickenpants Well-Known Member

not a lot of highsides in F1?

mdhokie and Repeater like this.
  10. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Along with the Chasis being built for big wide open flowing GP circuits not the chopped up tracks we have in the States

MELK-MAN likes this.
  11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Based on my limited experience riding the Kalex, I would have to agree with the Mayor @MELK-MAN . The average rider can take advantage of the lighter weight and good brakes by braking deeper and carrying a little more entry speed, but you have to push to get something done with these bikes, and pushing usually means risking- and the bodywork and pretty much everything else that would be damaged in a simple lowside is verrrrry expensive / irreplaceable.

My guess is I would shave .5 -1.0 sec off my regular R6 times on the kalex. And that's if I owned the thing and wasn't skeered of crashing it.

YMMV of course :)

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. MELK-MAN

the "cool factor" would be off the charts though :)

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I'm not gonna win on any spec machine. R6 or otherwise. But I'd look bad f'kn ass losing on one of these!

MELK-MAN likes this.
  14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

who was it that had the custom chassis R6 powered bike at the GNF in 2017?? That thing was all sorts of billet sex

15. bradd15

bradd15 Well-Known Member

I jumped on one (didn't ride it though) in the pits a few years back. It was a Kalex- Sam Lowes former bike. I was told they are rigid and really "hook" in the middle of the corner the harder you ride them. The owner was able to drag his elbow through some turns.

16. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

That's the LaMerille bike. It had a 565 engine. He's done some other cool stuff too.

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

WSS bike would be more practical for the masses....more HP too.

MELK-MAN likes this.