1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for parents of teenage athletes.

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Apr 1, 2020.

1. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Not a parent, but a hs lacrosse coach.

If he's that big and not playing, then he has no future at the next level at any ACC school...unless of course all of his teammates are that big and have multiple offers from similar schools.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money chasing the dream of scholarship money unless you have money to burn, in which case why would he need scholarship money?

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

It’d probably make him puke.

3. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

You can guarantee him a paid for college degree, even if it's from a small school it would still be free. If he invests the time in the gym (strength and endurance) and with a personal trainer (think footwork and agility), the gains that can be made in one summer are amazing.

And with all of the school closures for COVID-19 he has a prime chance because of all the extra free time. You could train him the rest of the school year and all summer and next year like a collegiate athlete. Morning workout, school, then afternoon workout. And I'm talking serious workouts.

At that size he's guaranteed a spot somewhere. I would push him towards the D-line where he would be able to use brute size and strength (gained through the previously mentioned training) to be a giant run stopper and menace by just being him.

He's got an advantage on most kids he'd face that would be amplified if he can develop with that training. He'd be able to develop technique as he goes. But like mentioned earlier if he just gets strong and aggressive he'd be a lock for a free ride at smaller schools and grow from there.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    dtalbott likes this.
  4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Been fighting knee issues and slow diagnosis since 10th grade. Knee was locking every now and then. Kept being told just PT.

Finally pushed for MRI, which showed a rough spot on back of kneecap that they thought might be an issue, so a scope was set up to fix it.

When they went in with the scope, they finally noticed torn cartilage. Repaired that and polished the rough spot. Now healing before getting serious on the PT.

I accept the blame for much of this, because I'm never home.

He didn't play football until 10th grade. Again I accept the blame for that.

He has been listening and working with the line coaches learning technique.

Hopefully he's ready to show what he can do in the fall.

5. dtalbott

I'd put him at nose tackle, if I could choose.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

He has to really want this, not simply think it would be cool, and be willing to show he has drive and a will to work. The comments about lighter and stronger are on target. I hope he does well DT.

dtalbott, StaccatoFan and lopitt85 like this.
  7. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Yes, the training effect of working upper body & his non-injured leg will help him heal faster.

dtalbott likes this.
  8. bigkaley

bigkaley Well-Known Member

How's his demeanor?... can he "flip the switch" and get himself fired up?.. truthfully, I've seen smaller guys who can lose their shit become all out animals and take down bigger guys. ...a 5'11" 275 fire-plug build chopping the legs out from 6'5"+...

dtalbott likes this.
  9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

My 16yo niece's BF (same age) is apparently ranked in the top 10 for his particular position in the nation, giant kid and he's only a sophomore....it's my understanding he's got a crapload of offers already from a bunch of D1 schools....I can't even imagine how intense and nerve wracking it must be having to wait that long.

If your kid has the drive and you have the $$$ find him a trainer and football camp to attend, you'll have a lot more answers as to whether or not he has what it takes.....make sure he nurses that knee and let's it heal up strong before getting aggressive. As you all know, that's one joint that isn't all forgiving and if the big schools find out he's got a bum knee, you can pretty much kiss that dream goodbye.

Wishing him(you) the best of luck!

dtalbott likes this.
  10. Lee#144

Lee#144 Track Newbie

As a former player and now as a coach/parent you can’t coach size. You can teach technique and make a player stronger but size and attitude/coach ability are paramount. In terms of recruiting, you can read about the ncaas new standards when it comes to contact but the typical workaround are summer camps on campus. For football, that recruiting process starts at 9th grade and some a little earlier. I’ll give you an example locally, freshman QB had a visit with a PAC 10 powerhouse earlier this spring to let him know they were interested. Some things to do as a parent, film as much as you can, games, practices, 7v7 etc. if your kid is interested in a specific school have him reach out ( after June of course) and ask about the program. Have him create a resume with his important info: grades, other sports, awards etc and include his schedule on it. If they are interested they will come out. Don’t spend money on recruiting gimmicks like recruit chute etc. college coaches aren’t going to pay to get information about your kid when they can get it from a coach or parent. Also talk to your sons coach as he or she may have contacts coaching at the collegiate level.

Cawk Star and dtalbott like this.
  11. dtalbott

He loves being on the team, the practices, the weight training.

He's spent pretty much his whole life being told by others not to play rough (any sport) because he was bigger than the other kids. Now he's found a group where he is accepted, and he fits in.

I think he'll be just fine, but there's only one way to find out.

SpeedyE likes this.
  12. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

What does your son want to do?

Does he love the game? Love to play? Love being part of the locker room?

Where do his interests lie as far as career motivations go? Yeah..I know 17's young to think about that...but you only fail to plan...you never plan to fail.
    He's also 17 (redundant) and I'm sure he's still growing into that big body. And even at 6 foot 7, 400 pounds is a LOT.
    Dropping 30-50 pounds would be a tremendous help to his health and athletic abilities. He may be battling that his entire life.

I'd have a long serious discussion with him about things like this and how the decisions now have a long term impact on his future.

stk0308, dtalbott and brex like this.
  13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Size is good in football, to a point. The 6'7" part is a big plus in his favor. The 400 lbs part is not, he won't play the next level at that weight. Not at any good program anyway, maybe a small D3 school. Speed and athleticism is far more important on either line, but especially defense. Get him down to 300-350 max as Dave said and some programs will overlook lack of film and speed/athleticism to a point for an offensive lineman. If he wants to play defense, he needs speed rather than size. Very few D lineman are even 300 lbs.
    The film is a big thing, he needs to create hype and needs to start reaching out to recruiters. A good HS coach will have those contacts, sounds like yours does. But recruiters have a thousand kids they already follow and have on their target list, so he needs to give them a reason to follow him as well.
    My son stopped playing two years ago after freshman season was over. He was burnt out, wanted to have a life. High school football players have no life since they spend at least four hours a day M-F at the school outside of school hours and a few hours on Saturdays. Sad how coaches get around the rules by having "non-required" chalk sessions, weight classes, etc. But you don't go to them, you don't play. Ms son is an average sized DB, pretty much smack dab in the mid range for the position, but one of the fastest kids in the area. But his film from freshman year, the few seasons of youth ball prior and all the camps he still had the HS coach bugging him to come back this year as well as some "what are your plans" from a few recruiters.
    But since joining the mountain bike team and seeing how much fun he can have in life with his friends rather than the political bullshit and backbiting of football, he will never go back. And I am all the happier for it as well. I was done with youth football parents, done with high school football parents.
    I played in the way back machine and coached youth and HS for quite some time as well. Not saying I am the end-all, not a recruiter. But I have seen a lot and am glad to be done with it. Sounds like Tas has current experience in it all as well. He needs more snaps, needs film.

But I digress. If he really wants it and you want to try getting him noticed for a scholarship, you need to spend the money on getting him to a good weight. Aim for 300. Then his body will be able to handle speed type drills - shuttles, four cone, quick step ladders, 10-20 yard burst. Don't worry about extra camps at this point for line positions. He gets to the weight and can do some burst speed drills, he will get the technique at practice and will play more. Then he will have film and can have the coach assist him in attracting recruiters.

Gorilla George and dtalbott like this.
  14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

If he has anything of a motorcycle racing champion's mind, all he has to do is put the helmet on. :D

15. :stupid:

I was about to say the exact same thing.

The progress that can be made in one year can be profound, but ONLY if the person truly wants it. I went from the backup Center on the Freshman team, to the starting Shooting (2) Guard on the Varsity team my Sophomore year. BUT...it was because I was putting in 1-2hrs of work before school, then practicing until dark after school, then all day on weekends. I literally had a basketball in my hands until I fell asleep, then woke up and grabbed it and took it to breakfast with me.

If he is doing it to either make someone else happy, or to be popular, or because it looks fun on TV, etc...then it won't work. Natural gifts can only get you so far. But if he TRULY wants it, with every cell in his body, he can accomplish A LOT in a year.

To be honest, I would start focusing on diet a lot. If he eats pizza, burgers, cakes, drinks cokes etc...he needs to stop now. Aside from that, work on explosive movements. Build up those fast twitch muscle fibers. Someone who is 6'7" and 300-325lbs that can FIRE off the ball, and run around (preferably below) a 5sec 40yrd dash will get noticed by a lot of people, much more than someone who is 6'7" 400lbs and not agile.

lopitt85 and dtalbott like this.
  16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

and another reason I brought up weight was, more important then speed is injury prevention. I'm seeing too many kids sustain major injuries younger and younger. Yeah, some were for other reasons (one girl tore a tendon simply by having her leg straight and changing direction - weird) but with the lax dudes a lot more then not were down to size.
    I know he's a big dude, I remember he was taller then me ~ 10 years ago when he was 7 when I last saw him but his ankles, knees and back will thank him in spades if he shaves off weight. :)

DmanSlam, dtalbott and Gorilla George like this.
  17. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

If he is very intelligent and at his size.....go to the O-line. He’s too big for the D-line, intelligent or not.

OGs750 and dtalbott like this.
  18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I know nothing about football, but I do like to watch it!!!

So a few people mentioned if you have funds to help him make it? How much does Darrin need to commit? I know racing is expensive, my son did that. I know competitive dance is expensive, my daughter was a national duet champion for 3 years.

How much are you knowledgeable guys talking about for his son? I know @dtalbott is already working his ass off driving all across the country to make a living after leaving his families motorcycle business? I know before racing when Tyler was the starting pitcher on his team I was paying for lessons at around $40-50 a week to help him pitch. In racing the best investment I ever made was sending him to the YCRS program at $2300. My daughter's best investment was moving her to a dance school about 30 miles away, and practicing 4-5 days a week after school. Then my wife, I, or the car pool, would pick her and the other dancers back up in the evening to bring them back home.

19. dtalbott

Darrin is not paying shit.

If Joey wants it, it's up to Joey to get it.

20. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Al McGinness couldnt skate for shit with the Calgary Flames but had size and a 100+ mph slap-shot. They worked with him and now hes a hall of famer.

Anything is possible with work. Best of luck this season!

dtalbott likes this.