1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drummers

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Kip Winger. Bwahahaha!

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa. :D

3. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Well then: Elvin Jones, Max Roach and Louie Bellson (with a dash of Tony Williams thrown in).
    Still, Blakey is without par.

Sabre699 likes this.
  4. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Danny Barcelona, Hal Blaine and Paul Ferrara.

6. Joe Remi

Joe Remi Well-Known Member

I think Ringo is WAY underrated. He's not a technical wiz like jazz drummers, but he has a weird lazy-sounding "maybe this fill won't make it to the end on time, might not even get to the crash" style that doesn't make sense but works. He is a major reason Beatles songs sound the way they do, and why covers with conventional rock drumming almost never sound right.

7. Johnny B

Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones always looked half asleep to me while playing.
    What's interesting to me is the jazz recordings he was involved in. A brief discography:

• The Charlie Watts Orchestra Live at Fulham Town Hall (1986/Columbia Records)
    • The Charlie Watts Quintet – From One Charlie (1991/Continuum Records)
    • The Charlie Watts Quintet – A Tribute to Charlie Parker with Strings (1992/Continuum Records)
    • The Charlie Watts Quintet – Warm and Tender (1993/Continuum Records)
    • The Charlie Watts Quintet – Long Ago and Far Away (1996/Virgin Records)
    • The Charlie Watts-Jim Keltner Project (2000/Cyber Octave Records)
    • The Charlie Watts Tentet – Watts at Scott's (2004/Sanctuary Records)
    • The ABC&D of Boogie Woogie – The Magic of Boogie Woogie (2010/Vagabond Records)
    • The ABC&D of Boogie Woogie Live in Paris (2012/Columbia Records)
    • Charlie Watts meets the Danish Radio Big Band (Live At Danish Radio Concert Hall, Copenhagen / 2010) (2017/Impuplse)

8. Joe Remi

Watts is another example of "replace the drummer and you have a different band."

9. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

Jack DeJohnette. Bernard Purdie. Billy Cobham, Jr. Brian Blade. Steve Gadd.

10. Joe Remi

And of course Moon. As Kenney Jones so aptly and unfortunately displayed. Zak plays more in Moon's style to match the records, but it's still too "perfect" to really work. I saw them in '75 at Anaheim Stadium and Keith was a LUNATIC.

11. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

How is this thread not about changing metalheads ID to kip winger!!!?????!!

12. Johnny B

John Entwistle put out a solo album, "Smash Your Head Against The Wall" Almost all of the cuts had Humble Pie's Jerry Shirley on drums. At the end of the second to last cut, "You're Mine", there was a segue into the last cut, "No. 29 (External Youth)". When No. 29 came on, there was Moon in full fury. These two songs run together gloriously highlighted how Moon was different from the others.

rd400racer likes this.
  13. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Lars Ulrich played on "Master of Puppets"

That's all that needs to be said.

14. Johnny B

Lars Ulrich took on Napster.

Fuck him.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

All of these posts and you’re the only one to name the best drummer ever that continues to evolve... did you make it to a show before they shut down this tour? Tool is the only band that has never let me down as each album is better and better.... they’re all in their 50s and if FI is the last album we get, after waiting 13 years, it’s so good I’m ok with that...

16. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

17. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I was a little underwhelmed by FI. They took absolutely no chances and basically stagnated. 13 years, I expected more novelty. Still a good listen, but nowhere near their previous efforts.

18. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I'm one of the rare few that feel each record was better than the previous one. While I don't cringe when "sober" comes on an ipod I never seek out the older tracks like i specifically do FI(7empest) and still 10K days(Right in Two). I could chalk it up to perhaps my musical taste maturing at a similar rate as their production but who knows... I just really really dig FI as much or more than 10K days... Like most great drummers Danny Carey does all sorts of jazz gigs too.... Jimmy Chamberlin is my second favorite drummer... same deal jazz jazz.... and I hate jazz...

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Tal is extremely talented in many music skills but she is a bass guitar phenom.
    Vinnie C and Tal play on Live at Ronnie Scott's with Jeff Beck and both excel.
    And if you look around Vinnie C is the chosen and favorite sit in drummer by the best of the best! I'm done go listen to these peeps

tl1098 likes this.
  20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Others drummers that excel are Ansley Dunbar and Billy Cobham. And there's a YouTube with Leo Lyons from Ten Years After playing a gig in the 15 or so years. He's wailing on his bass with reckless abandon that you don't see anymore in his unique style