1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The cold plate

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I'm willing to bet some y'all know what that is. For those that don't, it's an old school Southern meal comprised mostly of cold veggies. It's mainly a summertime dish but I still rock it other seasons too.
    This is how we had cold plates served back on summer days....sliced tomato, sliced cucumber, cantalope, deviled eggs, bread with real butter spread on it, and sometimes other stuff I don't remember. Served with lemonade or sweet tea.
    Sometimes it would be served at dinner with a hot item or two. Corn on the cob, fried squash, and okra for all the weird people at the table.

Man oh man that's some good stuff.

Who remembers that?

K51000 likes this.
  2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Forgot watermelon.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

How da fuq you get cold vegetables in the south back in old school times? That place is hot AF from March thru October. You should change the name to luke-warm to hot veggie plates.
    :D

What I miss living in Yankee land is a good meat and 3 place ya'll get down there. Mmm grandmas fried chicken, meatloaf, pot roast ,etc paired with some sides....mmm mmm.

Now I have to go to lunch.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Where in the south do you live that you can't get a soul food lunch?

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

SW MI.
    There aint $hit around me.

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

"Come in and fix yo self a cold plate!" Nope never heard that round these parts.

You sure you're from around here Lead Brain? Ain't heard of no such thing. Cucumbers with salt n pepper bathed in vinegar is about it.

Cold plate sounds like some Yankee stuff to me. :cool:

7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Whaaa?

[​IMG]

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

you mean Vesper?

cold cuts, cheese, dill pickles, tomatoes, radishes sliced bread, butter and mustard?

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The rest of the world calls those things "salad".

masshole, ChemGuy and Phl218 like this.
  10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

A cold plate up here is all meat and cheese. Sliced turkey, ham, salami etc. and a few different sliced cheeses. Can order a big platter that way from the grocery store deli's for a party etc.

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Now we all know what Meatheads parents told him when the gas bill didn't get paid. They made up the cold plate. :D

12. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I forgot to add we was kinda poor growing up. Everyone I knew had a garden. Sometimes that's all we got.

Jeff McKinney and Sabre699 like this.
  13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I know. Parents often have a way of coloring the truth to make kids feel better.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

They had one for the kiddie table as well? Very impressive. :D

15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Kids ate on the porch. We weren't allowed in lol.

R Acree likes this.
  16. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

had those in Texas as well. Made me fart like a machine

17. sdg

sdg *

That reminds me I used to sit in a row adjacent to the teacher in high school and rip silent but deadlies as much as I could... She eventually figured it out and rearranged the seating to put me in the furthest corner of the room. Laughing my ass off...

18. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

What's changed? Bet you are still not allowed in. :Poke:

19. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

We never called it a cold plate.But,fresh maters,cucumbers,green onions,maybe some pickled beets and cornbread.

Metalhead and Steeltoe like this.
  20. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Hahaha, its telling of the times, season and resources. Summer in the south, hot AF, dont want to stand over a stove, so uncooked food, those veggies were in season, no meat, cant afford it. My dad use to take a tomato out of the garden and eat it like an apple with salt and pepper after dinner for his desert.

Phl218 and Metalhead like this.