1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6.5 Creedmoor or .308?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kev59, Mar 23, 2020.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

We did...it was holding more important items:p

[​IMG]

Triple X, Phl218 and fixerflyer like this.
  2. rd400racer

Funny thing is, the best shot in the family is my daughter, and she hunts with a Mini 14. I did take a couple of my sons friends to the range because they wanted to buy a gun. I said no way until you get some proper training. They followed all the rules and are now owners of their own firearm.

A year ago neither of these guys had fired a pistol.

[​IMG]

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The closer one, with the red ear muffs, looks scared of the gun.

noles19 likes this.
  4. rd400racer

He was. It's a .357 Ruger revolver, for some reason it intimidated him the first couple of shots. And he's an ex college hockey goalie!

5. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

How big was the target?

6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

rd400racer likes this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

80 cm circle with inner 20 to be hit.

8. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I guess you don't reload. I have a chinese sks that wouldn't hit anything with any factory ammo. By reloading I was able to get 1.5" groups at 100yds with a 4x scope. I put it in a plastic sporter stock and used it to kill caribou. I think it is worth having around.

9. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Yes they are!

10. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Because its a reliable platform that's cheap and easy to acquire and very capable within the context it was designed for?

Or because its NOT an AR, which are boring and don't do anything super well besides accuracy for a factory semi auto rifle, they tend to do that pretty well usually.
    I have yet to find someone who hates AK's but actually like good platforms like real sig 55x's or FAL's.

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

This is 'Murica. We dont use ghey ass CM/metric shit. How big is that in 'Merican?

:D

12. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I love my 6.5 creedmoor. You can get it as low as about $0.52 per round if you buy the cheapest of the cheap and you buy in bulk, which is pretty comparable to .308 prices. I've tried the cheap stuff in my rifle to see how it compares and it actually didn't do too bad. Wasn't as consistent but still about 3.5 - 4 inch groups at 300 yards. If you plan on shooting really long distance, you may have to hand load or use some match grade ammo which will run around $1.50 per round. For now I've settled on Amerigun Gunner BTHP which is about 70-75 cents per round and is pretty good and consistent, but I'm not competing or shooting anything more than 500 yards either so that one's plenty good enough for me.

13. I’m not a good enough shot to really tell the difference between the two. I have a few boxes of cheap ammo I bought on sale for when company comes and wants to shoot but I shoot a decent amount of match grade 308 and some mid-to upper end ammo. I’d rather shoot good ammo to take that out of the equation. To me I like the 308 mainly due to the fact they stock a lot more of it around here.

14. I’ve had really good results with the American gunner match round in I think 155? Gr. Love the 178 gr precision hunter rounds for coyotes. Great accuracy out of my 308 and make a mess of them.

15. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

There are a number of high quality AK’s out there . The general consensus is the best are / were built in Finland by Valmet.
    I have a M 78/83 S - 7.62x51
    Absolutely love it !

16. sdg

sdg *

Blasphemy

17. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I'll your puny .338 and raise it by a .50bmg. Go 50 cal or go home. :D

I built an AR10 in 6.5CM. Its a pita to get to run right. Still working on it. Turn the gas block off and make a single shot out of it and its insanely accurate. It right now likes to only eject the case far enough for the case to jam itself into the ejection port every other round. Rounded off the extractor so its not so sharp it digs into the case and hangs on. Havent test that yet since our rifle ranges are now closed due to the crap going around.

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Calling a Valmet an AK is an insult. Like calling a Sako a Mosin-Nagant, or a Porsche a VW. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  19. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Anything over a 300 win mag is over kill to me unless you're regularly shooting a mile. No problem making 1500 with the 6.5CM. Nothing in North America requires more than the win mag either.

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I see your .50 and call...and I am home with my Baby Mama Gangsta.
    Let's see your hand. :D