1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunlop Q4 vs. Michelin Power Cup 2

Discussion in 'Tech' started by prm, Mar 16, 2020.

1. dallen.helmer

dallen.helmer Well-Known Member

Sorry I did have that backwards the dunlop is harder the pirelli is a softer carcass.

Dunlop=more feed back
    Pirelli=less feed back.

I can't speak for each tires since, I'm now switching to pirelli TD tires and can't get on track due to the virus shutting everything down.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

track wagon likes this.
  2. dallen.helmer

I had it backwards my mistake the dunlop is harder.

track wagon likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

harder or stiffer?

If both tires had the same pressure how would the nut behind the bars know which was which??
    What kind of pressure is being run on the front?

4. dallen.helmer

Depends on what the tire calls out for.

5. G8S

G8S Member

I had the same scenario. Ran Pirelli TD tires on the K9 gsxr1000 and first lap, turn 2-3 (NCBike CW), front gave out during minimal lean angle. No warmers like you on this particular bike. Only got two sessions in (again, no warmers, new tires) and was just warming up going into the third session of the day when this happened. Since, I run Dunlop slicks (w/warmers) on the L9 gsxr1000(R) and could not be any happier with how they feel.

6. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

I'm running warmers (175 degrees) on my Q4's with no issues for TD's.

BrentA likes this.
  7. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

Hmm. Do you turn them off early before heading out on track? If not, do they seem greasy? I contemplated doing this, but prior experience with a street tire left me sliding all over.

8. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

They didn't get greasy but I have had that happen on some other street tires like the rs10.

9. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Should probably go without saying, but using a tire out without warmers will have different amounts of grip and different time to come fully up to temperature based on ambient temperature, track temperature, wind, and even if the rims / tires were sitting in the sun vs. shade. A cool morning is a good time to have your bike sitting in the sun if you are not running warmers and a good time to have black rims instead of white or shiny. If that metal is cold it will keep sucking the heat out of the tire until the rim is warm too.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

those are generic and not pace or condition specific. You can ask a vendor and a suspension guy for additional data to decide. Then having an accurate gauge to measure the pressure.
    Can you put enough brake force on the front to allow for max traction?

12. dallen.helmer

Well it depends on the tires q3's will call out 31/30 while power rs calls or can call 30/28

13. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

Me too. Just got one front and two rear TD's delivered a few weeks ago, and had planned to go to Jennings to try them out (I've done about 8 track days and a Wera weekend so far this year on Q3+'s on my SV650). I just try not to think about how bad I want to go to the track and try these new tires.

dallen.helmer likes this.
  14. dallen.helmer

Jennings is open this weekend all the way to Monday with track day winner.

15. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Anyone tried the Power Cup 2 yet?

16. itsrichierich

itsrichierich Well-Known Member

Old thread, but wondering the same thing.

17. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I did use the PC 2s on my previous R6 and really liked them. I preferred them to the Q4 on my R6. Switched to an 890 Duke for awhile and it ate the PC 2 rear up relatively quickly. In fairness, it may have been mostly the track. The experience led me to try new things and I did switch to Pirelli SC3 DOTs for the 890. Those were great. They seem less sensitive to conditions. Just put in the recommended pressure and ride. I am back to having an R6 and will use the SC3 slicks since this bike will never see the street.

18. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I also ride an 890R and share the same sentiment on the power cup 2. It's great in the right temp range, but too hot or cold and the rear tire doesn't want to hook up. Also not lasting me very long. I think I'd like to try the newest supercorsa, or the new Q5. I like having a dot track day tire that doesn't need warmers for when I'm coaching, and can also ride to work and back in between track days.

19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I currently have a set of Q5S on my 750. They work fine at an intermediate pace but they do seem to wear pretty quick. No free lunches I guess.

20. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I've heard the same thing about wear with the Q5s. A friend had been using Q3+ for years and loved them. He switched to the Q5s and says they do not wear nearly as well. He's on a GSXR1000.