1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dern, beac, or any other electrician, I gots a question

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Took down a ceiling fan to put up just a light. I've got TWO romex cables coming into the box. All three whites were tied together and each black went to either the light or the fan. Single switch on wall. One black stays hot, the other doesn't do anything. Tried each black with switch off and on, one will stay lit, the other won't do shit. Switch does not change anything. I'm perplexed. I've done this a dozen times but only a single circuit coming in. I have no clue as to why there are two.

Help a brotha out

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No you can't kill Corona Virus by electricution.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Or pizza MILFs.

4. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Try it another couple times just to make sure you’re doing it correctly

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

tie black to white and make a movie out of it.

R1M370 likes this.
  6. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

The two black wires that stay hot (on): Wire nut them together and put them back in the box

The Black wire that goes on/off with the switch goes to the light fixture.

The white wire from the light fixture goes with the three white wires in the box. Leave all of them connected together and add the light wire.

7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

What were the three whites tied to (don't say each other) It takes two wires to make a path. Isolate each romex cable and test black to white with a AC meter. My guess is they did the anti-code wiring of using one wire to the second outlet BS. So the fan was always hot but could not complete the circuit until the light was on. A guess as you did not say how the fan was controlled.

notbostrom and fastedyamaha like this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

First, put a huge pot of water on to boil. Then fill one of the two sinks with hot water. When the water comes to a boil, dump it down one sink then pull the plug on the second sink and let it flow. This will clean any greasy residue in the horizontal run of pipe out and restore a good drain flow.

StaccatoFan, Steeltoe, joec and 2 others like this.
  9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You sure there's not another switch?

10. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

No beac my bad. ONE black stays hot. The other not. The neutrals were tied together with the neutral from the light/fan combo. Each hot went to fan or light.

11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Take video of everything. Multiple angles if possible.

12. beac83

OK, so there are TWO switches, one for the fan, one for the light.

In that case, cap one of the blacks that doesn't stay hot, connect other to light. One of the switches will then do nothing, and one will do the light.

The black wire that stays hot - cap that, too.

That said, something still doesn't sound right. No reason for the always hot wire to be there.

EDIT: You said there is one switch. I re-read and posted below.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  13. joec

joec brace yourself

You should just go ask someone for help at Lowe's.

R1M370, auminer and Phl218 like this.
  14. beac83

Rereading this.

You have TWO romex cables, each with one black and one white wire.

Where does the third white wire come from?

Post a pic of said junction box where the fan used to be mounted.

Also, did the switch control BOTH the fan and the light, or just one of them?

15. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

Was the always hot wire switched with a pull cord on the fan and the light switched with a switch mounted to the wall?

16. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Ok I need to start over. When I took the ceiling fan down, the two neutrals and the fan/light neutral were tied together. The two blacks were separate. One went to the blue on the light kit, the other to the black for the fan motor. Single pole switch on wall. That's the only switch.

17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Yes

18. beac83

OK. Light connects to the wire that was connected to the BLUE wire on the fan. White on light goes to whites.
    Cap the other black wire.

19. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I was saying the third white wire was the white from the fixture. Not in the two romex.

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

1/4” per foot pitch, and make sure you don’t have any low spots for water, food and shit to get stuck.

joec and GRH like this.