1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunlop Q4 vs. Michelin Power Cup 2

Discussion in 'Tech' started by prm, Mar 16, 2020.

1. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I currently have Q4s on my R6 and happy with them. Always open to alternatives and considering the new Power Cup 2. Use is primarily track day, with an occasional trip around local back roads. For now just looking at non-warmer options.
    Anyone used both and have an opinion, or experience with the Power Cup 2?

dallen.helmer likes this.
  2. dallen.helmer

dallen.helmer Well-Known Member

Following I was between the power rs and the q3 now getting faster I wanna up grade. Just got a set of pirille TD tires at the house ready to go on. Looks into those as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

3. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Rosso corsa 2. End of thread. They are round and black wear amazing in the center and have amazing edge grip.

4. prm

prm Well-Known Member

If I include Pirelli, why not the Supercorsa Trackday?

5. dallen.helmer

That's the tires I'm talking about. Everyone loves them where im at vs the q4

prm likes this.
  6. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

fixed for ya.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  7. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Track Wagon is a die hard Rosso corsa 2 fan! How’s Miramar now? I was stationed there 91-95. Loved that place, a shame the Navy gave it up.

Spoke to a Pirelli guy. He recommended the Supercorsa Trackday tire.

https://www.motodracing.com/blog/pi...iablo-trackday-supercorsa-tire-for-sportbikes

still interested in comments on the Michelins (Power Cup 2). Though Michelin may be the only company with more convoluted, hard to remember, naming conventions than Pirelli.

8. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

RS 10's for the win! Great on backroads and trackdays too. NOT a mileage tire!

9. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

It's still beautiful and better than all the other Marine bases.

Also I dont think the Power Cup 2 is out in the US. I could be wrong tho.

Any of the big 4's tires will work great. But it is nice they are starting to bridge the gap from full race to street tires. 4 or 5 years ago there wasnt anything like that. Maybe the supercorsa SP but... even then that tire still moves a bunch when being pushed hard compared to the new stuff they have now the Q4 and super corsa Sp V3.

10. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Also they have an RS11 street tire now. Newer version

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I'm a Pirelli fan but I tired the TD tires for my coaching duties on my "coach " bike (GSXR 750) and promptly landed on my head. No warmers, ran one lap at coaching pace and they just let go. Now I'm spooked and don't trust them. I suppose I could throw warmers on them but coaching doesn't put a lot of heat into them and I'm thinking they would cool down. Love the SC1's and SC2's on my GSXR 1000R, never a tire issue with those (at least at my pace).

12. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I would just run warmers.

13. dallen.helmer

I'm switching to the TD tires from power rs's only thing I hear different from the q4s vs the TD is the tire feed back the dunlop has a softer carcass than the Pirelli

14. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Q4 is softer? Than a Preilli? That would be news to me.

Oyster and TurboBlew like this.
  15. dallen.helmer

Just the carcass it provides more feed back. Vs the TD just what I heard never tried them

16. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If you run warmers on a TD or Q4 type of tyre, I would do it on a low setting. A single temp warmer or one set on high might be a bit much for those tires. A couple of years ago I did that with a set of Q3's on my street bike and it seemed to work well (Woodcraft warmers on low). I normally run the SBK slicks on my track day bikes.

17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I would just turn the warmers off 10min before going out while keeping them on the tires. Keeps some heat in them but not too hot.

Laz likes this.
  18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Yeah, you could use single temp warmers, but that would one more thing to mess with (delayed plug in or early unplug). That makes it one more thing to potentially mess up, particularly for someone like MotoFun who is also going to busy with off track coaching / rider discussions if they are doing the coaching thing right.

19. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Just to add to the discussion, we've had our racers win races with the Q4's in damp conditions. Once we tested with them some, we started keeping them in the trailer for sale at all races.

racepro171 and CR750 like this.
  20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Hopefully a tire vendor... @stickboy274 @metricdevilmoto can chime in. Back when my son raced, Dunlop always had a harder carcass vs. the Pirelli and I don't want to pass along bad information, but I would be extremely surprised if that changed. Back then you could go fast on either tire, and the Pirelli was probably easier to go fast on and setup suspension on, because the tire "squishyness" could help mask suspension issues from my understanding.

track wagon likes this.