1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on SUV brakes

Discussion in 'General' started by svracer22, Mar 21, 2020.

1. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

I need to replace the brakes on my wifes GMC Acadia and want to get pads and rotors of good quality. I don't want the typical Autozone stuff. I'm looking for higher quality. I checked Brembo site but it lists rotors out of stock. Alternatives?

2. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Try Bosch
    Got them at the auto parts store, they had to order them

Or, just check Rock Auto and such

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Napa should have a few options

4. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Actually the brakes at AutoZone are pretty good, they have options for higher quality stuff.

K51000 likes this.
  5. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

power-stop-z36-brake-kit-four-wheel.jpg Powerstop has a good package deal and work way better than oem.

ducnut and borislav like this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

What year Acadia?

7. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

Screw Brembo pads. They were horrendously dusty on our Jeep SRT. They lasted less than 20k and swapped to power stop which are less powerful but fine for daily driving and don’t dust.

R1M370 likes this.
  8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

2nd this. Put Powerstop on my Titan.

R1M370 likes this.
  9. iomfan

iomfan Well-Known Member

Very happy with Powerstop pads/rotors (all 4) on a Ram 1500 quad cab.

R1M370 likes this.
  10. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Not an SUV but I had the powerstop pads and rotors on an S2000 and thought the pads sucked compared to the OEM ones. The rotors worked great though. I really like the Akebono pads on my Sequoia, I think Toyota uses them as their OEM supplier. They seem to have really good initial bite compared to other automotive street pads without making a lot of noise or dust.

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I liked EBC Green stuff on my Highlander?

12. svracer22

Its a 2011 Arcadia sle

13. svracer22

I'll look at Powerstop.
    The issue with "go to Napa/Autozone" is that they have 10 different options. Would I just get the most expensive and assume they are the best?

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

The NAPA Adaptive One is their OEM equivalent high end line.

AD8410 Front
    AD7760 Rear

Most shops are putting in the SS line of brake pads

SS8410X Front ceramics
    SS7760X Rear ceramics

I wouldn’t recommend the Proformer line. That’s the value line the used car dealers put on to get things off the lot. Not as low end as Stop-Rite, but not enough of a savings IMHO to not go with the SS line.

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid: The Durolast brakes are actually very good. I’ve had very good luck with them and reasonably priced etc.
    No problem with recommending them after I’ve had them on my van and Cadi. They make a very good semi metallic brake pad. I think it’s their gold level. No dust. No squeal. Good stopping power with longevity. I also think they have lifetime replacement.

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

dont fall for the drilled rotor trick on a street vehicle.
    Slotted ok... may want to poke around some chassis forum to see if you can upgrade the caliper/rotor to something larger that would fit under you current wheels. Upgraded my subaru fronts to 12.5" diameter 2 pot calipers vs the 10" rotors with single pot calipers they came with.

17. Best bang for the buck by a long shot IMO.

R1M370 likes this.
  18. These are awesome pads as well.

19. What I did on my Jeep with 3/4 ton calipers and master cyl piston. Bought new rotors n pads that fit. Night n day.

20. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

FWIW...I just did all new brakes, pads, everything on my 2012 Tahoe. I also went with Powerstop Slotted rotors up front with new SS brakes lines. Powerstop solid rotors on the rear. A complete fluid change and system flush.

This big bitch stops on a dime now. My wife even noticed the difference. Great pedal feel, tremendous stopping power, just a fantastic upgrade.

I bought everything from CarID.