1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool machine shop tools - spline rotary broaching

Discussion in 'Tech' started by GRH, Mar 19, 2020.

1. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Seems no one sells off the shelf tooling to make internal splines for shift levers that I could find so I had a company make some for me
    One is a 30 spline which is the most typical for bikes, 4 wheelers, etc and the other is a slightly larger 31 spline on later model Yamaha dirt bikes

Internet image

[​IMG]

Broach.jpg

Steeltoe, Britt and TurboBlew like this.
  2. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

That's neat.

But Woodcraft does sell those shifter knuckles. I just bought one for the hawk 650. Not sure where the problem was, but it did take some adjusting to get it to go on. I think part of it is them not removing the real thin wall section from the pinch bolt, and the spline in that area was deforming and binding. That's probably why the OEM parts have the splines in that area removed.

Example part

3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Are you selling them or just showing them off? If you're selling them, I'll take a set.

4. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Just showing off I guess, I was bored last night, not bored enough to post pictures of horses but close, plus I have a tool problem
    This setup allows for me to make custom shift levers now. I did reach out Eric Wood about what tools they use before going the custom route.

5. backho

backho Well-Known Member

That’s a good- looking part! I wonder if the rotary broach is more costly than a traditional broach other than it can be incorporated in the same machining cycle.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

posts have been reported out of sheer jealousy...lol

Neat stuff. I once had a bike mechanic tell me he used vicegrips to recon shift shafts then used a BFH to reset the knuckle and if that didnt work out came the nastiest puddle weld ever with not a care in the world how the shifter was clocked.

7. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

looks just like 98-99 R1 part, strong, proper. Ive always wondered how those splines were cut.

8. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Great part, and a handy addition to your shops capability. I designed a rotary broach holder years ago and bought some needle and thrust bearings for it, but they've sat in the unfinished projects pile on my desk at work for about 7-8 years now. Pretty simple tools really. Now the Chinese have caught on and have started producing cheap copies, so I doubt I'll ever finish mine. You do nice work Glen.

9. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Is the broach end flared down? I assume it is so it can wobble and have the clearance to do so?

GRH likes this.
  10. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

11. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

nice. we use something similar here for orbital riveting.

13. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

He explains it a couple times through the video, most notably near the end

Juanpsi, tophyr and Marid2apterbilt like this.