1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

2. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Thank you

jrsamples likes this.
  3. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

:D

IDK, it seemed a bit desperate on the Fed's part, almost as if they either "know" something that Joe Blow does not, or that they intend to panic what's left that has not been panic-ed.

4. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I agree, seemed like they spooked the market with rolling out 0% interest and up to $700B in QE, anytime they did something like this in the past (this was the biggest ever) the market would skyrocket, this is the first I've seen where it had the opposite effect

5. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I was listening to one of the talking heads before I went to work. Said, NO, the Fed is not out of bullets! There's plenty more that they can do. :crackup:

I don't remember there ever being zero reserve requirements at the Fed before, I could be wrong. It is intended to free up capital to be loaned -- I didn't know that there was a demand crunch.

Well, I guess that they can do more QE ad infinitum.

6. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Well, that sucked. -2,250 and closed in seconds after opening bell ...

7. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Failing to see the logic in dumping now.

8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

When there's blood on the street........

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

It’s up to your ankles?

10. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Too late to dump. Might as well ride it out and buy what they can to lower their cost basis.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, fed rate to 0 and I have some down time, guess I'll check into a refi and pull some equity out of the house for improvements...

Lawn Dart and GRH like this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Gonna dig a moat and put in a machine gun turret? :D

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It will be fine... don't try to make sense of this situation. Here is what you can be certain of...the money machine will continue on. This panic and nothing more.

speeddaddy likes this.
  14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Warren Buffet is giggling like a little school girl.

auminer and NemesisR6 like this.
  15. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i thought about this yesterday as well. looked... last week rates jumped back up to basically where i'm at now, i assume on all this panic horseshit. assuming they go back down into the mid 2's at some point here in the next few weeks, what's your process for this? i've never done it before. what are the fees associated? what do you end up refi'ing for... the whole value of your house or just what you owe? who you going with potentially for yours?

we delt with a lender we knew personally when getting our mortgage, the rate was decent, so i didn't really get to shop that market much.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

BH B-shares looking like a good long term play.

Buffet is sitting on $125B in cash and is likely just itching to scoop up some more companies or loan it out with favorable terms.....

17. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Someone convince me not to take out equity and dump it into the market.

tony 340 likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wish, we're on a hill so maybe a deck on the roof which needs replacing anyway along with a ring turret.

pickled egg likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Been a while but basically it wasn't much different than a normal mortgage. I'd call Geoff May or even your local bank and do some rate shopping online. They'll all have listed how many points they want and so on.

20. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Not a bad plan.

IIRC, that's what Dave did (borrowed from his FIL and bought a stock). The profit gave him the seed money to open a burger shop. The rest is square burger history.

Lawn Dart likes this.