1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Rock Island Armory

(But I'd buy another Springfield.)

j cal likes this.
  2. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

Rock island is about all you'll find down near 500. You can usually find Rugers close to 700. Springfield's are just a bit more usually.

Rock islands typically work ok, but they're rough. They're made in the Philippines.

If you can afford it, I would look at Ruger or Springfield. The design is old and has a lot of labor intensive machining in it that makes it expensive to build.

OGs750 likes this.
  3. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

My only experience with a Rock Island was a friend's and his has always run great. I agree, a little rough but the one I know of works fine.

4. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I think I remember reading that Springfield of today is different than Springfield of yesteryear. Has quality fallen off or something? I don't mind purchasing used.

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

6. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Buy a used sig in that price range for a 1911.

Steeltoe likes this.
  7. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

1911s are jewelry for boomers. The more expensive, the more unreliable.

8. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Spang308, Sabre699 and rd400racer like this.
  9. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Also on my short list. I've been eyeing a factory certified 226 in 40S&W, but I shot a friend's 1911 recently and I was hooked. I think he had a Springfield.

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I guess I could be called a 1911 elitist, purest snob. The 1911 was designed and built around a specific cartridge, .45ACP. Any other cartridge being fired on that chassis without a needed tuning of the platform to perform as flawlessly as the original is begging for malfunctions, and history proves it. Those are not 1911s. They are bastardized conceptions of the original design by MFGs trying to make a buck by promoting popular cartridges in a classic and proven package. Even the likes of Kimber failed, initially.

MFGs have realized the error of their ways. The reputable ones have made the necessary changes, the others simply stopped making re-chambered 1911s either due to engineering ignorance, lack of deep pockets or both.

What am I trying to say? These aren't completely linear analogies, I lack the knowledge to be that critical, but I think the idea's point is made.
    You can put a GSX-R 1100 into the 750 frame but, to make it worth doing, you have to beef up the frame. Simply tossing a 10mm barrel into a 1911 slide/frame isn't gonna be all one might think it will be...that round will hammer the shit outta the resultant abortion. Conversely, no one in their right mind would shove a smaller engine into its bigger brother's body.
    ...And a Ford Mustang with a LS engine is a Chevy, the same as a Jaguar with a 440 is a Mopar.

Either way, if it's not shooting 230gr .45ACP, it's no longer a 1911.

I could go on... :D

scottn, OGs750 and Quicktoy like this.
  11. Quicktoy

I’ve owned them all. In the under $1,000 1911, sig takes the show. Second would be the Remington R1 followed by any of the Rugers. That being said, the cheapest of them all, the rock island is the most reliable. Built to WWII specs I believe so super loose and free from jams. As someone else stated, the more you spend on a 1911, the easier it is to have issues. I won’t sell Kimbers. I have major issues with them. All are descent guns. I always prefer a series 70 trigger but would only carry a series 80. Not that we can carry 1911s down here in Florida. That’s my humble opinion.

Steeltoe likes this.
  12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Sig makes some very nice 1911's FYI. Not sure if that's what Quicktoy meant or not.

Quicktoy and OGs750 like this.
  13. Quicktoy

Yes sir

OGs750 and Steeltoe like this.
  14. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. I'll look into those as well.

Quicktoy likes this.
  15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

While on that topic there is also the P220 SAO... just to muddy the waters a bit. :D

16. Quicktoy

I’m a polymer Sig guy. Then again, I’m a Glock guy so that makes sense.

17. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I wouldn't on carry pistols. I was all into the idea at first, but I've come off it since taking a step back and objectively evaluating them.

Within 10 yards, irons are faster for most people, and out past 25 yards, where you're actively lining up everything, red dot is faster, with everything between being a toss up. For a defensive pistol, you'll never (want to) take a shot past 25 yards, so it'll hurt you more than help you. Having to continually find that dot in the window is more a distraction than an aid. Unless you're practicing draw strokes daily own one type of pistol, just irons are faster for probably 90% of the population when you're not trying to line up a distance shot.

For the range though, they're fun, and push the accessible accuracy for a new to mediocre shooter way out past 25 yards.

blkduc likes this.
  18. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Agree with most of this. Seek out some good quality training. Max Michel is my shooting coach and we used him when we transitioned to a RDS on our STI’s.

You will need to practice but knowing how to practice properly is where a pro will help you out.

The benefits far outweigh the cons. The argument about not finding the dot or loosing is valid, however easily remedied with proper training.

19. Jed

Jed mellifluous

That price vs issues is true for me. I had to send my STI back and it took them 2 months to get it back. Failure to feed about one a magazine.

Quicktoy likes this.
  20. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

Agreed... but I totally want an aluminum 9mm baby sister

[​IMG]

Sabre699 likes this.